Kenny1
Level 3: Gumshoe

Pixel 2 XL Group messages not working correctly

Hi I have a pixel 2 XL and my group text function is not working properly.
I start a group with multiple contacts and when I send the message, the reply messages come back to me as individual messages rather than as part of the original group.

Google think this is a carrier issue as also I used to have an MMS rotation issue that we thought was Google but ended up being a Telstra problem.

Anyone else have the Group Message problem using a Pixel and Android Messages app?
I have had this problem on all my Google phones in the past (Nexus 5, 6, 6P, Pixel and Pixel 2 XL) but never actually tried to do anything about it. Now I need to use Group Message but it isn't working correctly.

Please look into and fix.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Pixel 2 XL Group messages not working correctly

Do all the people you are sending the group message to have phones that can do Group Messaging? If not, this is the sort of things that happens. There is no fix if this is the case. It is a limitation of phone technology, not the network.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Kenny1

Don't all phones have group messaging?
What about iPhones? If someone from an iPhone does a group message to me, I see the group message and can reply to it, but then the reply back from the person doing the original group message goes to the individual contact and not the group message!

That's simply not a network function. That functionality is part of the phone's operating system. Each of the different operating environments handle things in their own way, so they may not behave in the same way on each device.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Kenny1

I highly doubt that Android handles group messages like this...
It doesn't work for messages for all types of phones on Android (including other pixel devices).
I simply do not accept it is a os "function".

The same was said for the MMS rotation issue. Telstra advised it is the phone when after from more digging down it was actually a setting on Telstras side.

Is group messaging setup correctly in the message app?

Settings > Advanced > Group Messaging

group message.png

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Kenny1

Yes it is.
Highlighted
Kenny1

Just did another test. So my friend who has a Samsung S7 receives my "Group Message" as a standard message from me. Not a group message.
But on my phone it is sent as a group message. So it isn't working correctly. But works for him when he sends to other phones. But when he sends a group message to me, it appears as a single contact Message and not a group message.
Kenny1

So I guess this is ignored and in the "too hard basket"....
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Kenny1,

Can I please confirm if you have spoken to our mobile technical support team about this? If so, what was advised?

Please let me know.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Google Pixel 3

Google Pixel 3.

Find out more