cvex
Level 3: Gumshoe

RCS/Chat Features never finishes setup process

Answered

Having an issue with a Google Pixel XL running Android Pie and a Telstra Pre-Paid SIM (with a ported number, if it makes any difference) - I have the option in Android Messages to use Chat Features (RCS), but when I go to enable it, it takes me to the blue 'Learn More' screen and you click next and the little white circle comes up and goes around... and around and around and nothing ever happens, you get a message that says it might take a while and that's it. 

Have found people online who had this issue for varying reasons and fixed it in a number of ways... but after a number of months, system updates, app updates, uninstalling/reinstalling Carrier Services and Messages a number of times, removing and readding APNs, conversations with both Telstra and Google support, a Telstra consultant resetting my RCS profile as recommended on another forum, even tried turning the device off and on again ... the damn circle still won't turn into a checkmark and give me access to RCS functionality. Does anyone have any other ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cvex
Accepted Solution

Re: RCS/Chat Features never finishes setup process

Success! Went into the Telstra store and got a replacement SIM, put it in my phone... straight away got the 'your phone is RCS ready' message and the RCS feature enabled automatically without even needing to go through the set-up process. Very relieved to finally have figured out this issue that's been lingering for months!

For anyone else who may stumble across this thread, having the same problems - definitely worth trying another SIM card to see how you go. Thanks @DeltaSquad for your help!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
25 REPLIES
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @cvex, sorry for the delay in replying.

Have you followed up this matter and found a resolution since your post? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

cvex

Hi @Dani39,

Thanks for following up - not as yet, it seems to have everyone stumped. I've spoken to Telstra tech support twice since this post and still no closer to a solution - I'm going to head into my local Telstra store tomorrow to see if my SIM can connect via a different phone or if there's something else we can try.

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the update and please do keep us in the loop on how you get on having this tested further in store?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

cvex

Hi @DingoDan,

Still no luck, the employee at the store didn't really know what I was after and said she didn't have another Galaxy/Pixel phone in store that could be used to test my SIM, and suggested that I grab a $2 SIM from Woolworths/Coles, activate it and see if RCS will activate using my phone with that SIM, so I'm just waiting on my Prepaid Activation to go through and I'll see if that makes a difference.

Support Team
Support Team

I'm sorry that my colleagues haven't been able to have this resolved for you on that visit into the store Smiley Sad I'm not a technician myself sorry and haven't had much experience with getting this working on an Android service Smiley Sad

I will have this snoozed for our Tech team to have a look and see if we can have this resolved further, but they will not be available until after the weekend. 

Again let us know how you go having this resolved with our Social Media tech team. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@cvex

I'm sorry to hear that you're having troubles with RCS and Telstra Messaging.

Out of interest, was your phone purchased from Telstra?

For this to be supported, the compatible handset needs to have been supplied by us.

I should also note:

• If you have Call Select, Call Manager and/or Mobile VPN on your service, your service will not be migrated to Telstra Messaging
  • You can only send/receive Telstra Messaging chat messages with other Telstra Messaging users
  • If they’re offline or not a Telstra Messaging user, your chat message will be sent as an SMS/MMS

cvex

Hi @DeltaSquad@Delta

No, my phone wasn't purchased from Telstra, it was from an early run before Telstra picked them up. I don't use Call Select/Manager/Mobile VPN, and I know about the other two points, that's how I found out it wasn't working - I have a friend who purchased her phone direct from Google with a Telstra SIM and her RCS is working but when we message each other it only comes up as SMS.

If that's the case, any idea why it works for my friend and not for me? And do you know why the handset being supplied by Telstra is a stipulation for what's supposed to be a global communications protocol... is it to do with phone firmware/setup or something?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@cvex

I've been in deep discussion on this point with our Product Teams, and I'm yet to get a straight answer.

There's no real reason that the Pixel wouldn't just work, as these typically don't have carrier specific firmware's installed on them, however, other supported phones often do. (Such as the Galaxy phones)

In saying that, there might be another reason that you can't activate RCS.

On supported phones, this should be automatic, though there are times where something goes wrong in the activation process.

I'm not able to access your account directly via CrowdSupport, however if you have a reference number from when you've discussed this with our Mobile Tech Teams, I'd be happy to review that reference number?

cvex

Hi @DeltaSquad,

That was my understanding too, that there was no difference in firmware between those purchased from Google etc and those purchased from Telstra... I've been following this Whirlpool thread below and there are a number of people with Pixel XLs purchased from Google, JB Hifi etc reporting that their RCS functionality is active and working: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2720925

I get the option in Messages to 'use data features to enhance messaging', but it just goes around forever, there's no error message or anything... if it were the case that it was a handset incompatibility, you'd think that the option wouldn't appear or there'd be an 'incompatible handset' message or something. I know my friends that use RCS received an SMS to say that they could now use Telstra Messaging, whereas I never got this message. My hunch is that either something has gone amiss in the activation process, but a few of the people I've spoken to didn't even know what RCS/Telstra Messaging was at first and thought I was having trouble with SMS so it's been difficult to ascertain exactly what's happened.

My most recent reference number is 1-1704963176464, if you could review that would be much appreciated Smiley Happy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@cvex

I need to double check that the Rich Communication Settings are enabled on your phone.

Are you able to confirm that, or is the issue that you can't get it to enable?

cvex

@DeltaSquad

I can't get it to enable, when I get to the setup page (this one: https://img.talkandroid.com/uploads/2017/02/Google_Messenger_RCS_T-Mobile.jpg) and hit next, it says my device is communicating with my carrier and gives me a spinning loading circle that just goes around and around and around forever and never completes the setup process.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@cvex

Thanks for that. It appears (based on the reference you provided) that the device is registering successfully, however it's not acknowledging the reply from the Network.

Are you able to make sure that the setting is off on your phone and then complete a reset of your Network Settings before attempting to re-enable this?

To reset your Network Settings:

1. From a Home screen, touch and swipe up to display all apps.
  2. Navigate: Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options .
  3. Tap Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & bluetooth then tap Reset Settings. If prompted, enter the PIN, password or pattern.
  4. Tap Reset Settings to confirm.

Let me know how you go.

cvex

@DeltaSquad

Thank you - I've ensured it was off, cleared my cache for Carrier Services and Messages and done a Network Settings reset, restarted my phone and attempted to enable it again, still the same thing, just the little message that says 'Excuse the wait... Messages will let you know when this step is complete' and not going anywhere.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@cvex

Thanks for giving it a go.

The hold up in this instance would be the phone not acknowledging the activation.

I'd be curious to know if you restart your phone again after enabling the settings to see if this then completes?

cvex

It certainly seems that way! I've restarted it again and still no luck, still just going around in a never-ending circle.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@cvex

Also, are you connected to the Mobile Network when completing the activation, and not on Wi-FI?

cvex

I tried both - the network settings reset also cleared my Wifi passwords so I attempted activation via network, and then reconnected to Wifi and tried again - same result either way.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

This is disappointing as I can definitely see the registration being successful, though in saying that, my account accesses are very limited via public forum.

The next step of this would be to leave it for up to 24 hours to see if the delay clears on it's own.

Second to that, we'd need to have the issue forwarded to our Network Teams directly so we can have them check this out to confirm no delays or problems on our side.

This can be arranged via our Mobile Technical Support Team on 132200 anytime, and you'll get a reference that begins with "TT1-".

Keep me in the loop.

cvex

Fair enough - it has definitely been a mission, this has been ongoing for months, would be nice for it just to tick over!

I'll give it a day and try again - is there a specific way to get in contact with someone who can help with that? I've called the mobile technical support team twice before and got a bit of a runaround and no real result unfortunately.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@cvex

I certainly appreciate the run around, and I apologise.

Once the issue has been formally raised and you have a TT1 number, feel free to let me know here, and we can follow this up with the relevant team for you.

cvex

Okay brilliant - I'll get in touch with them as soon as I get a chance and report back. Thanks for your help!
cvex

Hi @DeltaSquad,

I've just had a call from Telstra letting me know that they've had reports from some other customers facing the same issue and it is being investigated, and they will be contacting me in the next 5 business days. The reference number I was given is TT-1729471231917.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@cvex

Thanks for getting back to me with the reference number.

I'll keep tabs on this as well, but let me know if you don't hear from the team.

cvex

Hi @DeltaSquad,

We've had a breakthrough! I got a $2 prepaid SIM from Woolies and after some dramas activating it, I got that sorted... Chucked it in my phone tonight and immediately got the 'your phone is RCS ready' message and my messaging app loaded the chat features straight away, didn't even have to do the setup process. Took that SIM out and out my regular one back in and it was back to before, deactivated and wouldn't finish setup. I think we can rule out the phone at this point, it'll either be the SIM or my account, so I might take my phone to my local Telstra store tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement SIM and see if that gets it working. Progress!
cvex
Accepted Solution

Success! Went into the Telstra store and got a replacement SIM, put it in my phone... straight away got the 'your phone is RCS ready' message and the RCS feature enabled automatically without even needing to go through the set-up process. Very relieved to finally have figured out this issue that's been lingering for months!

For anyone else who may stumble across this thread, having the same problems - definitely worth trying another SIM card to see how you go. Thanks @DeltaSquad for your help!

Google Pixel 3

Google Pixel 3.

Find out more