JB951
Level 1: Cadet

Unable to connect VPN via Telstra on Android

Answered

Hi, when I use my Google Pixel 1 as a hotspot for my laptop, I'm unable to connect to my work's VPN. However, I can connect to the web etc. 

It's definitely a problem with the VPN settings on the phone using the Telstra network as any other Wi-fi network I connect to let's me connect to my VPN. 

Has Telstra blocked the ability to connect to a VPN when using their network?

Any help to resolve appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to connect VPN via Telstra on Android

VPNs should work normally when hotspotting to your phone. I do it all the time with my work laptop.
Some VPNs do not like connecting through mobile networks and it can be the settings that your employer has used on the VPN that causes the problem.. My employer uses Cisco Anyconnect and it works fine.

As far as VPN settings on the phone go, Telstra do not set anything in that regards. VPNs can be set up through your handset yourself, but as far as Telstra goes, they don't block them or set them up.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to connect VPN via Telstra on Android

VPNs should work normally when hotspotting to your phone. I do it all the time with my work laptop.
Some VPNs do not like connecting through mobile networks and it can be the settings that your employer has used on the VPN that causes the problem.. My employer uses Cisco Anyconnect and it works fine.

As far as VPN settings on the phone go, Telstra do not set anything in that regards. VPNs can be set up through your handset yourself, but as far as Telstra goes, they don't block them or set them up.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Google Pixel 3

Google Pixel 3.

Find out more