Lealeatan
Level 1: Cadet

Why won't RCS turn off?

Google pixel 2 is my phone and I've been given RCS I don't want it. I spent forever getting it taken off my old galaxy gggrrrr
I tried texting AUDIO OFF to 144 as per the website and the message won't send. I get an error message saying phone number formatted incorrectly........someone tell me how to disable it please

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Why won't RCS turn off?

Hi @Lealeatan

Thanks for sending your question through. 

Turning off 'Enhanced 4G LTE' in Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Network > Advanced might turn it off.

If that does not work then please contact the mobile faults team on 125 111 (available 24x7) or via Live-Chat  http://tel.st/8jgx They may be able to assist however unsure of whether this is something that can be disabled.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Lealeatan

Texting audio off to 144 worked on my Samsung s7. Won't work on this phone (pixel 2) says phone number formatted incorrectly!
With me doing what you've said lessen the quality of voice calls?
Veloheads
Level 2: Rookie

Hi Lealeatan,

Assuming you have the default Google Messages App, try going into 'Settings -> Advanced -> Chat features", then disable "Enable chat features".

Give that a shot.
Lealeatan

Hey bud that turns off group messages and some photo sending capabilities. I'm already getting heaps of issues sending mms I don't think I can turn this setting off. Thanks for your response though 🙂
Technical Support
Technical Support

@Lealeatan

Turning this setting off should have no impact on your MMS functions.
Even if you turn this off for testing purposes?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The SMS to 144 should now be working again

Just tested on my pixel
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Highlighted
EV_Macca

I spent over 2 months trying to get help from Telstra to stop this service  that I had NOT asked to have on my phone as I don't use data on my phone except for the odd emergency, my plan only has 200mb data allowance & the RCS was causing me to go over my limit & then without my permission with one day to go on my plan Telstra charged $10 for an extra GB, finally after many visits to my local Telstra  store & hours on the phone, today I decided I would go to the local store one last time & if it couldn't be sorted out I would contact the ombudsmen & leave Telstra after being a loyal customer since before mobile days  I told the person I spoke to in-store my plan & he was very helpful & actually somehow turned it off. Now was this because he knew what to do or because I was planning to involve the ombudsmen, I am also now going to apply to have the $10 charge removed! As I did not give permission to ad the extra data!

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more