the_scotsman
Level 2: Rookie

HTC ONE X / XL

I've read that telstra are only getting the HTC One XL Smiley Sad

I don't care about 4G speed...I want Tegra chipset goodness! Why can't you guys take on both and offer faster internet speeds or a faster phone...Qualcomm is old and a poor performer....

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
80 REPLIES
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: HTC ONE X / XL

Why can't you source the handset you want (with the Tegra chipset and what-not) from a non-Telstra retailer, and then use it on the Next G network with either a pre-paid plan or a post-paid BYO plan?

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
the_scotsman

Yea, It's a solution, but means buying outright, as opposed to buying on a plan, paying it off monthly...I doubt I'll have the cash for it in one lump sum.

ArtyMarty
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Hey Scotsman, ive seen you around on baddnewz at xda  Smiley Happy

I totally agree, and I'll add more to that...

It's killing me that Telstra is only offering the non quad core ONE XL....  - Not really a speed issue, but more of a battery issue without the 5th core mode.

Lets face it 90% of the time, you will be out of 4G range so only geting 3G (or slower 2G)  OR you will be in range of a wi-fi (which is probably faster than 4G and less hungry on battery)

AND only having 16gb or memory on the XL ?  that's a deal breaker right there. you cant upgrade it either

From the specs I see on HTC's website, the One X supports fully Telstra and Optus - 850mhz/900/1900/2100 hspa/wcdma  out of the box...  so full speed on all 3G  networks in Australia...  

its not like when we got the HTC sensation, if you didnt get the telstra version you didnt get 3g speed.

For me it's clear, the One X.  Probably better battery life, faster, double the RAM. no 4G on the odd occasion I am in range of it? Pfffft~!   Who cares about that.

Telstra, if you are an inovator, and you want the best, you need to sell the XL AND the X

Marty

-=-=-=-=-
Passionate android user, tech geek and artist / jeweller.
NOT a Telstra Employee - Just a customer (only while they provide a service that meets my expectations and principals)
-=-=-=-=-
Level 22: Superhuman

ArtyMarty wrote:

It's killing me that Telstra is only offering the non quad core ONE XL....  - Not really a speed issue, but more of a battery issue without the 5th core mode.

I think the sentiment you expressed is quite blown out of proportion. I'm sure you will be able to source the quad-core model from a retailer other than Telstra, so Telstra is certainly not stopping you from acquiring it. How is Telstra's decision to only carry the HTC One XL “killing you”, then? Even if personal finances make it challenging to come up with the outright handset price upfront, I'm sure you can arrange alternative ways to buy your preferred model on ‘borrowed’ money, eg. by credit card or using funds from a personal loan; Telstra's Mobile Repayment Option is certainly not the only credit provider in town. (Yes, other credit provider will most likely charge interest, but I'm confident that won't ‘kill’ you.)

By not buying a Telstra co-branded HTC One model, there's also the advantage of not being held back by Telstra's release schedule for firmware updates. Smiley Happy Surely that's worth the higher total cost of ownership in not buying from Telstra, even if it were to carry the quad-core model?

Lets face it 90% of the time, you will be out of 4G range so only geting 3G (or slower 2G)  OR you will be in range of a wi-fi (which is probably faster than 4G and less hungry on battery) 

Speak for yourself. I spend most of my week (that's sleeping, working, and playing) in the CBD and suburbs within walking distance from it, so I'm nearly always within the Telstra LTE coverage area. A freely accessible public Wi-Fi hotspot will most likely not yield anywhere as speedy a user experiece, given you'd be sharing a very limited Internet connection behind it (LTE outperforms in multiples any single ADSL2+ connection, even if there is one dedicated to support the public Wi-Fi hotspot) with relatively many other users.

Probably better battery life, faster, double the RAM. no 4G on the odd occasion I am in range of it? Pfffft~!   Who cares about that.

I do. Instead of buying a 4G modem, I'd much prefer to have a mobile handset that can double as a personal Wi-Fi hotspot connected to the LTE network when required.

Telstra, if you are an inovator, and you want the best, you need to sell the XL AND the X

Which other Australian mobile carrier is offering LTE? Telstra is an innovator in this business, and that is evidence enough, without needing to prove itself to you by giving you a cheaper option by which to acquire the HTC One X. Offering what other retailers can also sell you in the same timeframe is hardly innovative.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
ArtyMarty

Drat, I appreciate your response, and while you have gone into considerable detail to point out grammatical inconsistencies (yeah- I’m sure I won’t die if I can’t get a ONE X from Telstra - Duh!), you have based most of your argument on assumptions.

Which are unfortunately incorrect.

My desire to purchase this phone from Telstra is not based in financial reasons to have it subsidised. I would rather buy a phone outright.

I dont feel the need for Telstra to prove themselves to me.  And as for them offering what others retailers can provide - your point is mute as I can get the X  or the XL from another supplier if I wanted to.

You also mentioned Firmware updates - a non-issue as I would be getting them via alternate means as well regardless of the model of phone.

So why do I want to buy from Telstra? 

Two words - Service, loyalty.. 

Yeah, they screw up just like Optus and the rest (and in huge ways too - it's been more than one time I have had to go to the ombudsman)  However, Telstra do tend to admit and fix their screw-ups, and not be pig headed about it. Others - not so much.

It would be nice if retailers (and Telstra is one) learnt that you cannot win and keep customers with this 'exclusive hardware' offering model.  No matter how much they kid themselves, hardware is NEVER exclusive.

The only thing that can be made exclusive is the value add.  The service.

I appreciate that faster network speed is better for you.  Great. Then you are happy with your One XL.

I dont wish to tether it to another main device. It is my main device, and so I require device speed and storage space.

Like I said, the XL with 16GB is ridiculous in my eyes.  And cloud storage might be great to try and make up the difference, but only while the 4G signal and battery power is there - which it certainly is not where I will be using the phone.

So thanks for your comments and I am glad you have found the phone for you in the XL.

Mine is the One X, and as stated, I would like to be loyal and get it from Telstra, as would a lot of others judging by what I have read on other forums

Smiley Happy  Marty

-=-=-=-=-
NOT a Telstra Employee - Just a customer (only while they provide a service that meets my expectations and principals)
-=-=-=-=-
Duanne

Artymarty I agree with you.

I have been a Telstra customer for many years and I want to be able to purchase the phone I want through them. I live outside the existing LTE network and whilst it may expand to include my current area within the lifespan of my next phone (Which would hopefully be a HTC One X from Telstra) I am not going to purchase a phone on an unannounced possiblity of an improved network experience (All of my daily travelling and work is not within the existing LTE network).

I looked at the differences between the One X and One XL and whilst the One XL may give a fantastic experience designed to work on the LTE network I do not access the LTE network currently and until it covers a greater area (at least an area I drive in daily) it is not benefical or practical for me to purchase a One XL. The only reason I would have to purchase the One XL is if all of the specs were identical except for the LTE network access, unfortunately this is not the case.

I would hope that Telstra would enable the consumer to be able to choose a handset that best suits thier lifestyle and needs. As such if I walked into a Telstra retailer in the CBD I would expect them to encourage me to purchase a One XL, however when I walk into my local store in the eastern suburbs of Victoria I would expect them to determine if a One XL would be suitable (Do you travel into the CBD?) and when they find out that I, like many Victorians, travel in the 90+% of the state not covered by the LTE network then I would expect them to offer me the One X (A phone that compensates for the lack of LTE network access) instead of a non-flagship offering from HTC. I know Telstra doesn't want to confuse its consumer base with a plethora of handsets that are difficult to distinguish between, but a little bit of practical selection in handsets would be a great benefit.

I made the conversion to the Next G network quickly after its introduction because I benefited from it. When the LTE network is likely to benefit me then I will consider that change (or even if I was aware of an expansion into my area), until then I would expect the best handset for my circumstances.

Drat, I understand I could get my One X from another provider or even as a grey import, but I am a Telstra customer and that is how I would prefer to stay, including supporting my local T-Life store.

Duanne

Perhaps Telstra should expand its pre-interest form for the HTC One series to include which HTC One phone the individual is interested in purchasing?

ArtyMarty

Duanne wrote:

Perhaps Telstra should expand its pre-interest form for the HTC One series to include which HTC One phone the individual is interested in purchasing?

That would be nice, you know sales skills , as opposed to order taking skills.  Sell to me not sell at me...  Smiley Happy

-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-
JustinB
Level 11: Detective

We've now made an official announcement (posted yesterday) regarding the HTC One series via our Telstra Exchange blog site (http://exchange.telstra.com.au/2012/03/05/telstra-confirms-new-htc-phones-coming-to-australia/) that mentions the rather tasty tidbit of news that we're actually bringing two of the new HTC One models to our network, so hopefully the above visions of choice between premium speeds and premium features will be a reality!  Smiley Happy

That said, I think the suggestion of expanding the pre-interest form to include which model you're interested in purchasing is a good one - I've forwarded the idea to those above, and though I can't promise it will change, it may be worth keeping an eye on.

- Justin

Telstra Social Media Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Duanne

Nice to know that's it's been passed on, thanks.

My optimism hopes for an outcome that will suit my situation, however the pessimistic side of me says that if they are only realising two models then I am not likely to find my hopes realised. As the smart play would be to go for XL (maximising on the 4G) and V (Budget end so as not to affect consumer confusion between the two HTC One's). Then again they may go for the HTC One S so as to try and appease my non-4G using brethren and me.

Outcomes aside though, appreciate the pass on of the suggestion for future releases at least. :-)

JER
Level 4: Private Eye

I find it mystifying why the specs of the two phones are so different: different CPU, GPU, internal storage. Is this a techincal necessity or simply marketing? Why didn't they just release one "superphone", the One X with LTE? Is that not technically feasible, or would it have been too expensive? If the Galaxy S3 comes with LTE, then my view is that HTC have blown their chance to come up with a real market killer device and steal the S3 march.

Duanne

I believe the reason you will find that the specs are so different is indeed due to the LTE support. The One X utilises the new Tegra 3 CPU and I believe at this point in time does not incorporate the ability for LTE. Hence the differences between the two models.

ArtyMarty

Duanne wrote:

I believe the reason you will find that the specs are so different is indeed due to the LTE support. The One X utilises the new Tegra 3 CPU and I believe at this point in time does not incorporate the ability for LTE. Hence the differences between the two models.

Spot on, that chip set will not support LTE until second half of this year.  (and to be honest I would wait a few months to make sure its stable.....)  
My plan is to get a One X , and then in around a year get whatever the next version is with quad or higher+LTE  By then there will be better coverage, and better battery life with the new chipset.

-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-
JER
Level 4: Private Eye

ArtyMarty wrote:

Duanne wrote:

Spot on, that chip set will not support LTE until second half of this year.  (and to be honest I would wait a few months to make sure its stable.....)  
My plan is to get a One X , and then in around a year get whatever the next version is with quad or higher+LTE  By then there will be better coverage, and better battery life with the new chipset.

Thanks for that; very informative. I noticed on GSM Arena that none of the quad core offerings provided LTE support. So the choice is either quad core on 3G or dual core on LTE, which has limited coverage at the moment, but is expanding rapidly (according to Telstra). Tricky choice. I work about 20 K from the Melbourne CBD and live about 10K from the CBD, but am on wifi in both locations. Not sure I'm going to get the most out of LTE at the moment. The One X is looking good, but I want to see what the Galaxy S3 offers, and when it offers it.

ArtyMarty

No problem, feel free to click the Kudos if I helped on that post.    Smiley Happy

Ive thought about samsung, but I feel loyal to HTC.  The Samsung overlay didnt float my boat at all, HTC's Sense did. I know everyone has their preference, and both overlays have got a lot lighter now that ICS is a lot stronger in that department, so...  who knows what to choose....  hmmmmm

Marty

-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-
jn27
Level 1: Cadet

Optus has just confirmed the HTC One X for April 2. 

OMG Please Telstra announce it soon!!! 

maverick_john

Vodafone are starting to sell the One X please provide details, im seriously tempted to just go with Vodafone. I don't have much patience when it comes to highly anticipated devices.
Duanne

Still waiting on some sort of expected release date, other Telcos have it on the shelves ready for me to change provider and collect?

Telstra !! Where are you? At least give us an expected release date, because right now all avid fans of the HTC One X (or XL) are stuck in limbo if they're trying to stay with Telstra.

Not to mention if I know you're not releasing the HTC One X then I can at least move on and figure out my best option to get my own One X

Huntsman_08

Created an account just to complain about this. Telstra you're stupid! At least just tell us what phones you're releasing and a date. How can you expect you're customers to stick around when you're competitors have released the One X and you still haven't even told us whether you're releasing it or when. This isn't the first time either. Get your **bleep** together and start communicating with us. Adding twitter feeds, a blog, and forum doesn't help us if the people writing them don't know anything.

capt_mofo

I too have just created an account to complain about this topic.

I want to get the One X for a plethora of reasons. The fact that Telstra won't announce what they plan to release and the fact that they willl probably by pushing the XL over the X concerns me greatly.

Telstra it has been a fun ride during my contract with you but you keep me in the dark much longer I think I will simply go to a service provider that provides the service "I" want.

Either that or I'll BYO and pay as I go - at least then my options are open and no more contract.

Marketing at its worst is my opinion of exclusivity deals. As you will ALWAYS upset customers both current and potential.

ArtyMarty

I couldnt wait.  I got a One X from www.expansys.com , it arrived in 3 days. Amazing phone, and its also the grey one, not the yucky white one.

and its bloatware free!!!

Got a stanley knife and cut down my sim and away I went..  Smiley Happy

(I orfered a sim cutter from ebay one week before I ordered the phone, and it arrived 2 weeks after I got the phone...  haha

Im still with Telstra, love their network....

-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-
capt_mofo

Thanks for that - think you meant http://www.expansys.com.au though right? $619 bucks isn't bad at all. what was the postage charge? I think allphones where selling them for just over $650 but they are the yucky white ones.

Huntsman_08

I went into a Telstra shop a couple of days ago and one a couple of the staff there said it wasn't being released. They said Telstra had done their NextG reception tests and it had failed them, hard to imagine such a bit phone could have trouble with reception. Are people who got theirs from optus etc having trouble with reception? I'm not sure if they were talking rubbish though cause I haven't seen anything online about they deciding not to release it and the day before that someone at Telstra had heard they were going to release it the next day. Why does Telstra keep it all a secret? I'm sure people have changed carriers cause they wanted the One X, if Telstra just said they're going to release it in say 2 weeks I'm sure people would stay with them.

ArtyMarty

capt_mofo wrote:

Thanks for that - think you meant http://www.expansys.com.au though right? $619 bucks isn't bad at all. what was the postage charge? I think allphones where selling them for just over $650 but they are the yucky white ones.

Yes, sorry it's .au like you said.

I paid  about $665 for mine, (they have gone down in price since then)  postage is $25 on top of the $618 or so they are at the moment.

I also recommend that you get one of their krussel screen protectors. advise that you add the phone to the shopping cart, and then add the screen protector to the cart as a seperate item. they will ship together.

If you buy the 'package deal' of protector and phone, it works out more...  (WTF??) 
the protector is very very good. 

A lot of the other online stores sell the phone "cheaper" but MAKE you pay $85 for shipping and phone warranty (hello, the phone comes with a warranty!!)

And yeah, nearly got one from allphones, but if you do, its white and lots of nice optus bloatware installed too.

not to mention, when sofware updates come out (which already have), you have to wait for optus to get the update, load all their rubbish on it, possibly disable features they dont want you to have and then release the update.  By that stage 3 months have probably past and you are a few updates behind.  I got the HTC firmware update the day it came out from HTC....

-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-
ArtyMarty

Huntsman_08 wrote:

I went into a Telstra shop a couple of days ago and one a couple of the staff there said it wasn't being released. They said Telstra had done their NextG reception tests and it had failed them, hard to imagine such a bit phone could have trouble with reception. Are people who got theirs from optus etc having trouble with reception? I'm not sure if they were talking rubbish though cause I haven't seen anything online about they deciding not to release it and the day before that someone at Telstra had heard they were going to release it the next day. Why does Telstra keep it all a secret? I'm sure people have changed carriers cause they wanted the One X, if Telstra just said they're going to release it in say 2 weeks I'm sure people would stay with them.

To be honest, 99% of the time, Telstra staff dont know if a phone is being released until 5-7 days before.
I can appreciate their stance on that as they dont want mixed messages going out to the public.

Secondly, did you talk about the One X, or the One XL ?

I can tell you know that as far as Iknow the One X has no issues with NextG/3G/whatever marketing name you call it...

The One XL is a totally different phone, so no idea about that one.

Thirdly:  Very unlikley that Telstra will EVER sell the One X.  Let me tell you how it all works.

HTC releases a phone.  Telstra or Optus bid on how much they are willing to pay HTC to get exclusive rights to the phone (and also expected initial order numbers etc)

Whoever wins gets exclusive rights to that phone in Australia for three months.

At the end of three months, its open season on the phone.  The issue is, in technology terms, three months is a lifetime.  The looser oif the bidding war is not going to go through the cost of testing, staff training, advertising and promoting a phone that has been out in Australia for three months.  It's old news, and all the people who were realy keen to buy them at a high "its just come out" premium price already have one....  so its not profitable to do it...

Another thing is the radio issue - most of the time in the past, the phones either support 3G on optus, *OR* 3G/NextG on telstra.
Chipsets in phones are getting better and the One X for example supports both Optus and Telstra with its radio.

The phone companies are all about trying to "lock you IN" and "lock each other OUT"

So they will do anything they can for a percieved market advantage..   This involves stupid 2 year contrracts, sales embargos on each other, not selling phones without a phone plan, not having a radio in the phone that supports the other carrier network so even if you did swap the sim, it wont work...

I WONDER:

How much better the world would be for the end user if the only tactic they could or would use was to offer better service, better pricing than the other carrier.... 

At the moment its more like : Join our network and we wont punch you in the face as much as the other network will.  Stay with us and we wont punch you in the face more than we are now.

So....

This is the reason that Telstra might get the One XL, as its a different phone, different features... no three month block on selling it.  But they also might not.....

-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-
capt_mofo

Huntsman_08 wrote:

I WONDER:

How much better the world would be for the end user if the only tactic they could or would use was to offer better service, better pricing than the other carrier.... 

At the moment its more like : Join our network and we wont punch you in the face as much as the other network will.  Stay with us and we wont punch you in the face more than we are now.

Haha - NOW THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING! Take note Telstra.

ArtyMarty

capt_mofo wrote:

ArtyMarty wrote:

I WONDER:

I do waht to make it clear that I am not just directing that at Telstra, it's at Optus as well: all the networks equally. 
I know its hard to change when everyone else is doing the same thing, you might lose a bit of market share up front by not locking people in, but very quickly you will get a reputation for being the 'fair' network, and then you would not have to lock people in, they will flock to you.

Even if the other networks realise this later and copy you, they will be seen as the ones that coppied - and are just doining it because they have to...

Smiley Surprised)

-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-
maverick_john

Is there a chance we would be getting the HTC EVO 4G LTE instead of the one? Im just curious now as the whole world now has the htc one x and AT&T is getting the one xl in 2 days and there is still no announcement.
Sprint will be getting the EVO 4G LTE at the end of the month and it has HD calling which is something you guys hold to high regard since last november.
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

ArtyMarty wrote:

capt_mofo wrote:

ArtyMarty wrote:

I WONDER:

I do waht to make it clear that I am not just directing that at Telstra, it's at Optus as well: all the networks equally. 
I know its hard to change when everyone else is doing the same thing, you might lose a bit of market share up front by not locking people in, but very quickly you will get a reputation for being the 'fair' network, and then you would not have to lock people in, they will flock to you.

Even if the other networks realise this later and copy you, they will be seen as the ones that coppied - and are just doining it because they have to...

Smiley Surprised)

Then I can get a $79 plan with a brand new phone, pay one month, and then run away Smiley Very Happy

Contracts aren't a "sneaky" thing, they are a "We give you a $1000 phone for no upfront cost. We paid $1000 for it but you can have it, if you pay us for a plan for 2 years".

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Stu

Telstra – I have been monitoring this situation silently, hoping to get some clarity on when we will see the One XL. My Desire just isn’t cutting it anymore, primarily due to battery and memory limitations

Initially – indications were good. Confirmation that Telstra would take 2 of the One phones, and then an EOI form for the One XL specifically and some moderator comments to the positive.

Then, things fell down. The responses are generic (and sometimes verbatim) across Telstra forum pages, as well as Whirlpool and others (social media 101). The EOI form was replaced.  And more recently – radio silence.

I just don’t understand – you have a loyal customer base who are chomping at the bit for updates as we are keen to get our hands on the One XL. In the meantime, efforts for Samsung (Note, SII 4G) have continued in ernest. You are risking losing customers simply through a lack of communication.

So – a few things I would like to ask:

1)      If you are intending on stocking the One XL – then please say so, and that you don’t know the date of launch – at least that gives us some home

2)      If you aren’t going to launch it – say so. This gives us a chance to either buy a One X/XL outright, or worse for you, switch carriers. And then there is the Samsung Galaxy SIII for consideration – which is for me, the last option as I am a loyal HTC user.

3)      If the delays are due to testing of the unit – say so

4)      If the delays are related to Qualcomm production issues – say so

Basically – all you need to do is tell us what you do know – surely someone internally at Telstra knows whether this is proceeding or not.

Tangiers
Level 3: Gumshoe

+1

M-SHAW

also +1

wdtvandsound
Level 11: Detective

A telstra sales guy said end of June to me!!

My son has the oneX and he is thrilled with it, with 32GB of storage on board as the oneXL is only 16GB.

Neither model have Micro SD expansion much like the iPhone that you can't remove the battery either.

They might be waiting for the Android 4.0 release!!!

The Velosity has MicroSD expansion of Up to an additional 32GB and removable battery.

Regards

I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.
ArtyMarty

Ben_F wrote:

ArtyMarty wrote:

capt_mofo wrote:

ArtyMarty wrote:

I WONDER:

Smiley Surprised)

Then I can get a $79 plan with a brand new phone, pay one month, and then run away Smiley Very Happy

Contracts aren't a "sneaky" thing, they are a "We give you a $1000 phone for no upfront cost. We paid $1000 for it but you can have it, if you pay us for a plan for 2 years".

B.

Thats where you are wrong...  (I do realise the $1000 was just a round numbers figure - I'm talking about how it works)

The One X was around $700-$750 on release...and I get it on a $79 a month plan, the phone company puts $30 a month of that towards the phone to pay it off.  When a phone is released they are around $700  ($30x24months = $720)

if I want to end my contract after 4 months, I should be able to pay the rest of the phone off so I can leave.

For example: 4 months x $30 = $120.  $720 - $120 = $600

So to leave I should pay $600 to "pay off the phone"

The problem is:  I want to pay off my phone, and upgrade to another one 4 months in. - And still stay on the same plan.

Phone company says:

24months less the 4 months =20 months.

20 months x $59  = $1180

Early termination fee $120

Total $1300

....for a phone that I owe $600 on.

"but we would really like you to be our valued customer..."   

Yes.  I can see the $1300 value right there....

-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-
Ben_F

ArtyMarty wrote:

Ben_F wrote:

ArtyMarty wrote:

capt_mofo wrote:

ArtyMarty wrote:

I WONDER:

Smiley Surprised)

B.

Thats where you are wrong...  (I do realise the $1000 was just a round numbers figure - I'm talking about how it works)

The One X was around $700-$750 on release...and I get it on a $79 a month plan, the phone company puts $30 a month of that towards the phone to pay it off.  When a phone is released they are around $700  ($30x24months = $720)

if I want to end my contract after 4 months, I should be able to pay the rest of the phone off so I can leave.

For example: 4 months x $30 = $120.  $720 - $120 = $600

So to leave I should pay $600 to "pay off the phone"

The problem is:  I want to pay off my phone, and upgrade to another one 4 months in. - And still stay on the same plan.

Phone company says:

24months less the 4 months =20 months.

20 months x $59  = $1180

Early termination fee $120

Total $1300

....for a phone that I owe $600 on.

"but we would really like you to be our valued customer..."   

Yes.  I can see the $1300 value right there....

No way........

I am on a $79 Freedom Connect Plan. I'm also paying $9/month for my handset ($29 a Month - $20 rebate). Therefore, I'm paying $696 for my phone (with Telstra covering $480 of that payment). Lets assume that I'm 12 months in (although that isn't the case).

If I wanted to remain on a $79 plan, and take out the HTC Velocity 4G (which is $20 a Month - $20 rebate = $0 payment) I would pay:

$79 for 24 months (it doesn't change)

$29 a month for 12 months

$20 a month for 24 months

$20 CREDIT for 24 months

Total Excess: $29 a month (or $348) for the Handset

IF you were to leave another provider, you would be charged both the Repayment Option and the Contract Cancellation fee.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

EnspiredOne

Waiting on the Android 4.0 release??? Huh?? It's already released with it...

Kudos to Stu, you are 100% right. We needs information from Telstra, its just not good enough on their part to say nothing....
CJR281

I was just in Melbourne and I went to the Telstra shop on Bourke St Mall and asked about it.
The guy said that they are testing it to see if it all works to there standards etc... and that they will be tossing up between the X and XL depending on works best.
I asked his how he knows and he said he's a geek and follows it all and that he knew because it was internal info. But they should still definitely tell us whats going on...
Mata

A birdie tells me to expect the One XL on May 28th....

Stu

I went to a Telstra shop yesterday, a specific one I go to when I want to talk to someone who actually knows something, as opposed to the one closest to me - who tried to convince me recently when asking about the One XL that I really meant Velocity, and I should get that...

The upside I received was that June 14 was the ETA for OneXL, with 90% certainty. Apparently a shipment was originally due end of April that didnt happen. Also - the unit has been tested and certified for Telstra 4G (LTE).

So - getting some positive signs - just not from the Telstra moderators - HELLOOOO???

Ben_F

Stu wrote:

I went to a Telstra shop yesterday, a specific one I go to when I want to talk to someone who actually knows something, as opposed to the one closest to me - who tried to convince me recently when asking about the One XL that I really meant Velocity, and I should get that...

The upside I received was that June 14 was the ETA for OneXL, with 90% certainty. Apparently a shipment was originally due end of April that didnt happen. Also - the unit has been tested and certified for Telstra 4G (LTE).

So - getting some positive signs - just not from the Telstra moderators - HELLOOOO???

Some Telstra staff are advised of Product Launches before their release, and ALL Telstra staff have signed a confidentiality agreement (and when I worked there, a specific NDA for the iPhone Smiley Tongue )

Some people take their responsibilities under these agreements seriously (such as the Moderation Team who are the public face of Telstra on the internet) and others don't care (such as a dodgy In-Store rep).

For those reading this..... If its on Retail.Live or Knowhow, and isn't on Telstra.com, don't talk about it Smiley Happy

New Users - Click Here!

Laurie

**bleep** it, wish i had kept my Retail.Live login details!

my HTC Desire is on its last legs, need to replace this phone... cant give a hint if its within a week or so???

Dumfone

OK, so what is the deal with the data storage specs for the One XL?

Most product detail around the internet is for 16GB models with LTE. All HTC websites say this, except one, Australia. On the Australian website, it states 32GB.

http://www.htc.com/au/smartphones/htc-one-xl/#specs

So is this correct? Is this the version Telstra will carry?

Also, I tried to ask them about bringing a device to a 4G plan. I was told it had to be modified by Telstra. Now as far as I know all it needs is a 1800mhz 4G radio and Telstra network config settings and you are good to go. Has anyone heard different?

Laurie

yeah i had noticed that also, however i wont believe its a 32GB until i see it released.

and you are correct, as long as you are using UMTS 850, or LTE 1800 you will be opperatin on the NextG network.

millissy

AT&T have released the HTC ONE XL rebranded the HTC ONE X and it's specs are:

Wireless Technology

GSM/GPRS/EDGE
850/900/1800/1900 MHz
 3G - UMTS
850/1900/2100 MHz
 4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ (with enhanced backhaul) or LTE, where available
4G LTE
Band 4 and 17
How is that not compatible to the Telstra network? Can someone please explain as if I don't get a release date soon from Telstra  I'm getting one outright from family over there for USD $549.
looktall
Level 6: Bloodhound

telstra and AT&T use different frequencies for their respective 4G networks.

however, it should work on next g (UMTS) as it uses 850mhz
Ben_F

looktall wrote:
telstra and AT&T use different frequencies for their respective 4G networks.

however, it should work on next g (UMTS) as it uses 850mhz

Not sure if its worth pointing out, but NextG qualifies as 4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ (with enhanced backhaul) or LTE (1800Mhz).

We just don't call HSPA+ 4G Smiley Happy

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Level 17: Bureau Chief

millissy wrote:

AT&T have released the HTC ONE XL rebranded the HTC ONE X and it's specs are:

Wireless Technology

GSM/GPRS/EDGE
850/900/1800/1900 MHz
 3G - UMTS
850/1900/2100 MHz
 4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ (with enhanced backhaul) or LTE, where available
4G LTE
Band 4 and 17
How is that not compatible to the Telstra network? Can someone please explain as if I don't get a release date soon from Telstra  I'm getting one outright from family over there for USD $549.

That's compatible with Telstra's 3G network - the NextG Network (UMTS 850MHz).

It's not compatible with Telstra's 4G network which is at 1800MHz which is Band 3 LTE.

To the extent that you or the phone or anybody else believes that 3G/HSPA+ is 4G, this phone will do that on NextG.

But it WON'T work on the network marketed in Australia as 4G.

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
nickk61

Wouldn't call it that in the melbourne CBD. that's why LTE is important people in the city almost need it as a necessity to load even the most basic of pages.
Samsung Galaxy S III I9300T
Telstra 4.1.2
Tangiers

+1. I'm waiting for this phone only because I hope that the 4G network is less congested in Sydney (particularly on the North Shore train line) so that I can at least browse the web on my phone. I'd have already bought the One X outright from overseas if the Next G 3G network worked as it used to.I am not looking for "blazing speed" but just enough that I don't have to watch my screen timeout as the SMH webpage loads!

It seems Telstra has taken on all the unhappy Vodafone subscribers and other disatisfied users without increasing capacity.

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more