MCSirCH
Level 1: Cadet

My Smart Home experience so far and request for help

I looked around and picked Telstra Smart Home over other smart home solutions as it appeared to be the most mature and most supported product in the market. Whilst it's "good", I wouldn't say it's "amazing"...here's my experience over the last couple of months:

• If a Smart Plug some how gets out of sync with the Hub, it's unrecoverable remotely. E.g.: Hub thought the plug was off, but the plug was on. Every time I tapped the appropriate plug, I got an error as it was trying to turn the plug on but it was already on. The only fix was to manually turn the plug off, this then fixed the issue and I could control the plug remotely again.
  • If the Hub doesn't have internet access when it boots up, it seems to just pick a random time and go with it. This meant that my bedroom light, which is supposed to gradually come on to wake me up in the morning, gradually woke me up at 1am. It also meant that we got an SMS to say the front door was opened at a time the front door shouldn't have been opened, which worried my partner somewhat.
  • If there's no internet access, there's no way to control the lights or plugs, even from the local network. Well, of course there's a switch on the wall, but we bought a smart home solution so we didn't have to use the switch.
  • The emails and SMS cannot be configured and are really quite horrible. I've used a camera-only solution called Cammy, which sends a HTML-formatted email, with a single frame preview and a video attached.
  • If you add a new smart plug or light after you've already linked with Google Assistant, Google doesn't find out about the new plugs or lights, unless you un-link and re-link the accounts.
  • The camera can't be configured to our liking. Either it's too sensitive on Medium, or not sensitive enough on Low.
  • Limited camera storage space. 30 videos per day doesn't help considering the last bullet point.
  • And now...the one I need help with. For the 2nd time in 2 months, Google has forgotten how to control my smart home. I ask Google to turn on or off a light or plug, and every single time she responds with "I'm sorry, there was an error and I'm unable to control your home device". The fix is relatively easy, I have to un-link and re-link the Telstra and Google accounts. If I don't do this, it remains broken. There's nothing wrong with the Smart Home system (still can control via the app), and there's nothing wrong with Google Home (it can still tell me the weather, time, play music etc.) - how can I stop this from happening?!

This product is "good" and has a lot of potential. It's just not as nice and shiny as I hoped it would be.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: My Smart Home experience so far and request for help

That last issue is one that I have had with other google supported services so I actually reported it to google. I have a couple of other third party smart devices that google home supports but aren’t on Telstra Smarthome and they get that same message at random. It is relatively frustrating I agree. Also the not resynching new smart home items is also right up there.

The camera sensitivity is one they have been working on but I agree it isn’t quite there yet.

I am glad that the frontier gateway has fixed the issue of no internet mostly now so I don’t have that issue but I agree a local control would be helpful. I suspect it is in part to ensure it is still connected to a smart home plan so even if it only worked for say 24 hours on local network as a backup in downtime would be helpful.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

I need to get myself an echo dot because I want to see if it ends up with the same issue with losing sync that way I can see if it is google only or both.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 23: Superhero

Hi @MCSirCH

• How often does the smart plug do that? It could possibly a fault with the plug or the hub)
  • With the hub time drift, that should of been resolved via firmware update. It may pay to check with Smart Home Faults to see if that update has been pushed to your hub yet
  • Because all data and commands get routed through the back-end platform, and that the app also doesn't query the hub locally and requires online authentication, I doubt the Smart Home will ever be able to be controlled just on a local level in any capacity unfortunately
  • I don't believe there's any future plans to make the email's/SMS's customisable by the user. I'll be forwarding this thread onto the Smart Home team. So if you would like to expand upon what it is you about them that horrible in this thread, they may be able to make adjustments to them
  • I believe when it comes to the linking between third party devices that also comes down to the agreements between Telstra and them. Unfortunately with the Google Home and Amazon products, they wont update automatically
  • Camera sensitivity levels have been adjusted in a recent update. Like the hub, you may need to check with Smart Home faults to see if that update has been pushed through. You do bring up some good points though. I can certainly push the idea of  more configurable sensitivity
  • The quota levels have been a topic of discussion and its definitely on the radar for something to happen with those
  • Hard to say what the specific issue is with the Google Home but I suspect it is a cloud issue on their side. If you've done all the normal troulbeshooting (basically consisting of rebooting everything), that's pretty much all you can do on your end. If it does become a regular problem you can contact smart home faults and we can escalate it to Google on your behalf

I will forward this thread onto the Smart Home Product and Engineering teams. If there is anything else you can think of, definitely put post it in here. Constructive feedback is always welcome Smiley Happy

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Also something elese you cant try on the last point is saying to the Google Home:

"Hey Google, sync my devices". Afterwards give it around 2-3 minutes, then try and control your devices. Unfortunately it doesn't give you a verbal success or fail message.

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale