Highlighted
Auntywa
Level 2: Rookie

Trying to connect Google Home to Telstra Smart Home

Answered

I'm having a problem here with Google Home and my Telstra smart home devices. Everything was working fine  until yeterday when I started getting the “I’m afraid there was an error and I’m unable to control your home device” error message whenever I tried to operate one of the devices.

If I unlink/relink the Telstra account everything returns to normal but only for 30 minutes or so then the error situation returns..I've also tried rebooting the Google Home, resetting the Smart Hub, removing and reconnecting the devices. Each time, the Google Home resumes normal function and can control the devices again but the error situation returns after a short time.

Interestingly, the Telstra smart home app continues to work and operate the devices at all times and the Google Home app shows the devices as still being connected.

I'm  open to suggestions....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Trying to connect Google Home to Telstra Smart Home

You may be aware of the recent technical issues we experienced which impacted some Smart Home customers who tried to control their devices by using Google Home between 26 October and 31 October.

We've identified and resolved the problem and services are now working as normal. If you or a customer are still experiencing problems please contact 132200 and say "Smart Home Help" to talk with a Tech Expert.  

We sincerely apologise for  any inconvenience caused, and trust you will continue to enjoy your Google Home and Smart Home products.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
Level 24: Supreme Being

do you have another smart plug you can try swapping out for the one the google home is plugged into? I had an issue like that and swapped it out and it seemed to help.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

EdHore
Level 1: Cadet

I'm having the exact same issue that started at the exact same time.

Auntywa

Thanks but the Google Home is just plugged into the wall, not into a smart-plug.

Auntywa

Doles

Same issue here started 2 days ago. Google assistant won't control any Telstra smart home devices
Kgboo7

Exactly t ghost e same issue here,last tuesday no interaction between google home and smart home all U get is the error. Devices still work via telstra smart 

Homeccappe, before you ask ithe power point is ok so what is the resolution for the issue, has a software update caused t ghost e kssue. 

Wat55
Level 3: Gumshoe

Exact same issue. Tried Unlinking the account and now I cannot re-link the Telstra Smart Home account. Tried re-booting the hub...no change. Smells like a firmware update which has stuffed up.
Auntywa

@Wat55 wrote:
Exact same issue. Tried Unlinking the account and now I cannot re-link the Telstra Smart Home account. Tried re-booting the hub...no change. Smells like a firmware update which has stuffed up.

Took me about twenty attempts to relink the Smart Home account (usually takes 3) although there isn't much point persevering as it doesn't "stick". You're probably on the money about the firmware update - I honestly cant bring myself to call the helpdesk....

mshahim87

I'm also in the same about... Mine started 2 days ago. I also think it's Telstra related as Google home is ok with everything else.
LAC0449

Exact same issue here. Performed hard reset etc to have it give the same error

The issue is being investigated

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
RGTelstra

Is there a docket number that can be referred to. I have the same issue and it appears to be across many users.

AFAIK a master ticket hasn't been created yet but there's been several examples/tickets that have been forwarded on (including this thread)
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

If possible, could you post the device that you are using for the google home and smart home app? Eg iOS or Android

RGTelstra

App installed on iphone 7 IOS 11.0.3

@RGTelstra

I've just been told it should be sorted now

AHJASGV

I have had the exact same issue as well, can anyone tell us if the fix is available or do we just sit and wait. Android device

@Auntywa wrote:

I'm having a problem here with Google Home and my Telstra smart home devices. Everything was working fine  until yeterday when I started getting the “I’m afraid there was an error and I’m unable to control your home device” error message whenever I tried to operate one of the devices.

If I unlink/relink the Telstra account everything returns to normal but only for 30 minutes or so then the error situation returns..I've also tried rebooting the Google Home, resetting the Smart Hub, removing and reconnecting the devices. Each time, the Google Home resumes normal function and can control the devices again but the error situation returns after a short time.

Interestingly, the Telstra smart home app continues to work and operate the devices at all times and the Google Home app shows the devices as still being connected.

I'm  open to suggestions....

Jack151

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

You may be aware of the recent technical issues we experienced which impacted some Smart Home customers who tried to control their devices by using Google Home between 26 October and 31 October.

We've identified and resolved the problem and services are now working as normal. If you or a customer are still experiencing problems please contact 132200 and say "Smart Home Help" to talk with a Tech Expert.  

We sincerely apologise for  any inconvenience caused, and trust you will continue to enjoy your Google Home and Smart Home products.

Auntywa

OK, so everything here is working again, hopefully it's permanent this time.

mshahim87

It's great that you guys have now resolved the issue... But now I cannot connect my account to Google home anymore and I have been trying for the past 4 hours. I have factory reset my Google home still no devices showing up in Google home app. When I link the my Telstra account to Google home it says that it's linked successfully but still no devices show up in home control.

So I just spent about an hour with smart home tech expert (who by the way was absolutely useless and not an expert at all) he then have me a phone number for Google and told me to call them. Which I did and it was a security company not even affiliated with Google.

I am at my wit's end can someone please help.
Wat55

I am experiencing the same issue. I have tried all the reboots...and still cannot link to Google Home....very frustrating
mshahim87

Ok so I mentioned above that I was having issue linking my Telstra Smart Home service to Google Home and even after it was successfully linked the devices still didn't show up.

I know have an update because Telstra Smart Home help are useless and a waste if time and aren't experts at all and Google is actively investigating but I couldn't just sit around and pay for something I could not use.

I have now got mine working perfectly. I first Factory Data Reset my Google home which didn't work it was doing the same thing even after saying that it linked Telstra Smart Home successfully it still wasn't showing any devices.

1. So I just out of curiosity logged into the Telstra Smart Home App
2. removed all my lights and smart plugs
3. closed the Telstra smart home app then I went back into the Telstra smart home app
4. Added my lights and smart plugs back then closed the Telstra smart home app.
5. Then I went back into Google home and went to home control and tried to link my Telstra Smart Home service again, it said it had successfully linked my Telstra smart home services like last time and it went back to the home control screen and after a few seconds my lights finally showed up..... Thank God after 6 days I can finally use Google home to control my lights.

If this works for you also then don't forget to give me some Kudo.
HeavyDJ
Level 4: Private Eye

I too was having this problem, but have found a work around that doesn’t require to remove all your telstra lights/sensors etc.
All i did was remove and re-install the Google Home app, and re-set up with my bigpond email address, and not my GMail email.
This then allowed me to link everything without any problem.

Hope that helps.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now