Highlighted
RichardWH
Level 1: Cadet

3 Free Data Top Up NOT Working

We have exceeded our monthly data usage and the option to add on a data top up (3 free per year) isn't registering. I have clicked to add on the data top up, it proceeds to tell me it is pending and will be active in an hour with a confirmation email being sent to me, but nothing has happened for the past 3 hours. Every time I go back to the option remains on '3 free remaining', why is something so simple causing such an issue?

We are on cable internet, with our service plan being 'Telstra Premier Medium Bundle + Foxtel Platinum Fast Cable'

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
38 REPLIES 38
Takadiurga
Level 11: Detective

Re: 3 Free Data Top Up NOT Working

You can try calling 13 22 00 and saying 'Internet' when prompted, and see if one of the Support Staff is able to add the data top up to your account. Otherwise, Telstra 24x7 Chat, may have a consultant who will be able to add it to the account, if it is not working for you.

Telstra 24x7 Link: https://www.telstra.com.au/support

I am a Telstra Employee but volunteer on this forum in my own spare time, my opinions are my own and don't necessarily represent Telstra's policies or values.
Level 23: Superhero

I had the same issue with my Static IP order not 'sticking', and going fro pending to nothing. It fixed itself eventually.

However, as suggested giving them a call or using Live Chat might be best to see if it can be pushed through.

Live Chat - https://livechat.telstra.com/TCOM:Crowdsupport:Consumer
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
RichardWH

Thank you both for your help. I have been in contact through the live chat tool and they have fixed the issue. However it has been almost an hour since they have activated it and my internet speed is still very slow. Will wait until the morning to see if it will be fixed by then.
Level 23: Superhero

Often a power cycle (turning off, waiting, turning on) of the modem can help kick things along.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Level 21: Augmented

When I did a data-top up,  (at 8pm), the pop-up on the screen mentioned 30 minutes and you will receive an email confirmation.  I received the email next morning at 7am.

I suggest don't leave the top up for the last minute, if you to a top-up a couple of days before you're going to run out then there should be no shaping.

RoboDice

I tried to activate my last free top up for 2016 on 22/12 and and forgot about it until an alert from Telstra arrived on 31/12 to let me know my data usage was above 90%. Contacted Telstra via online chat and was told that the top up request was stuck "in transit" and would be fixed within 24 hours. Still not fixed a day later. Another online chat and was assured that problem was in hand and would fixed within 24 hours. Of course that didn't happen. This time phoned support and was told that they were unable to resolved the "in transit" problem and would have to escalate to IT support which will take 24-48 hours by which time I will have exhausted my data and will be slowed. A totally unprofessional and frustrating experience.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi RoboDice,

Welcome to CrowdSupport

Whilst I can understand the frustration and inconvenience the delayed processing the 'Data Top Up' has caused you, if our team have confirmed something went wrong which is preventing this from going through the system, they will do all they can to escalate and have this resolved for you soon.

For an update, as we aren't able to check into this via CrowdSupport for you, chat with our LiveChat Team at: http://tel.st/gq6m or via 133 933

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Ontymay

I have the same problem. Our service is slowed and the topups are not activating. I have tried activating from the Telstra 24/7 app as well as the website, over the past 2 days.

I have now been on hold for 1 hour 32 minutes and 6 seconds (and counditng up).

Totally underwhelmed.

Hah! I posted this message and hey presto received an email advising topup had been activated. It had better be the only one I receive

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Ontmay,

I'm sorry for the delays that you have had with getting this top up applied and glad to hear that the email confirming this is going through has been received. Please do let us know if there are any issues with receiving multiple confirmations of this being applied? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Wombat96
Level 2: Rookie

I applied for a free data top up last Saturday evening, but never received a confirmation email. Phoned support who said it would take 24 hours even though the website says 30 mins.

Next evening still nothing so phoned again to be told they would cancel and resubmit for me but it would take up to 48 hours.

Phone again today (Monday) and was on to tech support for around 1/2 hour only to be told there is a problem and won't be fixed for 2-3 days.

Time to look for a new provider me thinks !!

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Wombat96,

I am sorry for the issues you have experienced with having this top up completed and do apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused you Smiley Sad There can be issues with the system needing an update before this order can go through correctly. I am sorry that you have been affected by this and the order has stuck Smiley Sad Please do let us know how you go having this completed after these system updates have been completed. 

Wombat96

Nothing has changed, still running on 256kbps since last Saturday.

Account resets on the 23rd or 24th so will just wait until then I suppose, to see what happens !!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Once the order has completed, you may need to restart the modem to notice the change in speed.

- Shelly

Wombat96

Thanks Shelly,

I have been trying that several times a day.  I spoke to support again today for the 4th time, who told me my last order (from yesterday) had been cancelled (must have been the telecommunications fairy), but that he would load it again for me, however would take another 24 hours...seriously !!

It has now been 5 days, I can't even download fast enough to view emails as I keep timing out from the server, and still can't get any additional data until tomorrow. My monthly reset is tomorrow night, so hopefully can use the additional 200GB in an hour !! (If it comes through)

Normally, I am pretty patient, but this has to be the worst customer service I have experienced, and the support staff are only interested in upselling me to make sure I don't exceed my data limit again.

I phoned today to enquire what my current break costs are for my Telstra contract and they are only minimal, so will be changing providers and moving over to unlimited data plan on NBN.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Are you sure that your service is currently shaped?

If you perform a speed test on a computer connected to the modem via Ethernet and all other devices disconnected from the modem or turned off, what are the speed test results that you get?

- Shelly

Wombat96

Hi Shelley,

Speed on the Telstra speed test (speedtest.telstra.com) is around 190 kbps. Previous speeds on cable before I was slowed were around 32 Mbps.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for confirming, those results definitely indicate it could be shaped. I apologise for the difficulties that you have experienced with the top-up not being activated in a timely manner.  

As you are on a 200 GB plan (based on your previous response) you may like to take a look at the plans currently on offer as we regularly review and adjust them. Looking at the new plans may give you more data for the same or less money, depending on the current plan and/or bundle that you are on. 

If you are interested in talking to someone about the current offers, please contact our sales team on 13 22 00 or via Live Chat using this link:  http://tel.st/hsc3

Alternatively, you may prefer to submit a formal complaint so that a case manager can review the history of what has occurred and discuss how they can come to a resolution for you.

https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints

- Shelly

Wombat96

Thanks Shelley,

As I mentioned my data resets tonight anyway, so will wait and see what happens.

I did lodge a complaint online on Monday, but have not heard from anyone. (I think the on-line form says 48 hours)

Sorry, maybe I'm just getting used to ordinary service and waiting forever in long phone queues unfortunately but seems to be the way things are with most Telco's these days.

Still don't think I should have to pay this months bill !! :-(

Wombat96

Shelly

Who can I contact in Australia (preferably by phone) to lodge a formal complaint ? Still no data this evening after 6 days and accounts department are offering me $10 discount ...Woo Hoo !!

Not good enough for the stuff around I have had and all the broken promises from telstra call centre staff.

Why can't anybody fix anything in that place !!!

Yours truly

Very frustrated

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Wombat96,

Sorry to hear about this ongoing issue.

You can lodge a complaint via the methods in this article Lodging a complaint with Telstra.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with.

-Chris

Wombat96

Thanks Chris,

But I have already lodged an online form (supposed to get back to me with 2 business days and it's been 4 now)

I want to speak to someone in Australia who can fix my issue.

Cheers

Support Team
Support Team

It can take up to 5 business days for a case manager to be assigned.

Do you have your SR reference number?

-Chris

AmritSimer

After my order has been completed, I still couldn't able to get more than 250kbps, that too after restarting the modem 2 times. Please tell us now what's the way out.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi AmritSimer

You are best to speak with our 24x7 Technical Support Team on 133933 for assistance with your speed issues

Kind Regards 

Vinnie205
Level 3: Gumshoe

Looks like telstra is still having problem with this issue. Just experienced it this weekend.

CHSI1234

Same problem has just occurred over the weekend.  Thinking I could last out till my reset time, i did not request topup. I forget that WIndows might decide its time to download a massive update and next thing I am over limit. So I take the free topup option via phone app (because the shaping cripples PC usage!!) at 6:00am. No problems, goes into pending activation, in one hour email to be sent!  After two hours, no email and I then notice I have the 3 full topup back again and no pending status.  

So as no action, decide the try it via PC.  Again same deal, although it claimed in text to take only 30 minutes... 2 hours later still NOTHING!!!  So ring support, yes they can still see it ... pending online or something like that,  but must be busy so give it a bit longer.  Tried to see if they coudl PSH IT but no and did not want to cancel as it may reduce my available quota...  

12 hours later still NOTHING!!.  Ring Telstra again, this time they are unable to CANCEL IT, PUSH IT or do squat!  Even BILLING could not help. Must need the magic 24 hour cycle to fix.  NOT HAPPY as I now have only two days left if it ever gets through. Just because its a FREE OPTION is should still work as advertised.  

24 hours later :  Still NOTHING ... no messages, no indicatiion when and still shaped. It took me 10 minutes to just log in and enter this message!  Its too late now, wasted opportunity and I have to use someone else machine to get the job done I needed to do over weekend. VERY DISAPPOINTED that due to some internal problems??, it cant be solved by ringing support and that I am just given the "just wait" and a message might appear....  Never mind that I may have used up two of my free top ups because the system does show my what the status really is...  and then cant even do it as promised! 

TELSTRA - My Internet SERVICE provider!!!   Not sure about that !

james1288

Well this forum topic hasn't provided much positive insight into the start of my 24 hour 30 minute top up activation!

At the time of the message (8:45pm AEST) it has now been 3.5 hours since my first attempt at applying the top up, I have had to submit a second attempt already at approximately 7:00pm AEST and it's still lingering with the 30 mintue message.

"Your broadband data top up is now being processed but please note it may take up to 30 minutes to activate. We'll send you a confirmation email once your top up is active." 

The above to me gives the impression that if it takes longer than 30 minutes, something may be going wrong. Then to have the contradicting message from the Tech Support and Live Chat that it actually takes about 24 hours makes me wonder what time frame is actually accurate.

If my request keeps getting cancelled mysteriously, I am at the start of a 24 hour cycle each time I have to resubmit my requst for a top up. There is no warning anywhere that states "If you use 100% of your ADSL data limit, you may not have internet for 24+ hours becuase the top up service is unreliable and inaccurate stating a 30 minute max activation time." So this top up submission is very disappointing indeed. Previous top ups I have applied are generally completed, email and all within about 10 minutes.

This is why I am frustrated this time around, no internet for 0-24+ hours from "Australia's fastest internet provider" is a bit disappointing. 

james1288

Update to the above; had to resubmit another top up request at 10:05pm AEST and the message following stated it may take upto 1 hour to take effect. Perhaps an update of some sort?
james1288

Update to the above; our Top Up was applied after approximately 11 hours from the initial request. The bizarre thing about it is, even though two requests were cancelled, both were activated at about 4:30am AEST which is a result of the third attempt of applying the Top Up.

Hopefully this info can help someone else out in the future, it appears you just have to deal with slow/no internet access for anywhere between 0-24+ hours. May be worth while preempting your 100% mark and activate the Top Up a couple of days ahead!
CHSI1234

Well after a total of 40+hrs, the TOPUP finally happened.  After contacting TELSTRA (and complaining) I was informed that TELSTRA had a internal problem that caused the massive delays. My complaint was focussed on the lack of feedback to the customer and JEN (TELSTRA) has raised this internally and TELSTRA has promising to address this (hopefuly with some informative emails/messages). Whilst the problem was self created internallly, it pays to be completely honest with the customers and own up to the problem up front and not just respond with (give it another 24 hours).

I commend TELSTRA for finally admitting the problem was in their own camp, promising to take action to fix and allowing the operators to actually control the process. Obviously the big issue here is why it happened in the first place.

Good thing these were free TOPUPs - Seems harder to really get annoyed when it was something that is a bonus but its doesnt give the right message if TELSTRA cant deliver what is promised...

Cheers!

Dabb

So I tired the data top up today and the site said it could take up to 30 min to process. So after 10 min i got an email saying your data top-up request has been activated. I was like woow yes i can finally jump on PUBG and retk some noob but little did i know 3 hours had pass by and my speed is still slow. Then i call up telstra and they just told me that it could take up to 24 hr .when i heard 24 hr i heart just sank i ask why it would take that long is it not automated the reply was im not sure... This is ridiculous after more than a year it seems people are still having the same issues. What is going on Telstra cant you have one of your programers to write a code saying that when customers request top-up date speed restriction should also be lifted . #feelsbadman #liftupmyrestriction #nonetnolife
Pw8

Applied for a top up at 10.55am, got an email saying it's been activated at 12.20pm, yet my computer is still slow and so is the ps4, so what's going on Telstra? Even my 24/7 Telstra app hasn't reset!!!
SMT2

I can echo many of the frustrations expressed here. I just tried to top up my data 3 times (twice via app and once via website). Each time it tells me it is pending activation but then the request just DISAPPEARS. Leading me to submit yet another request, which apparently I am not meant to do as it will just slow everything down. Apparently I am meant to just sit tight secure in the knowledge that my top up will go through in due course but HOW ON EARTH AM I MEANT TO KNOW THAT from the info in the app? Especially as the app tells me it should take an hour max???
I just tried to give this feedback to one of the Telstra supervisors via livechat but I really feel that it fell on deaf ears.
Tommygun12

Experiencing the same issue. Have contacted online chat twice and have been reassured that it will be fixed. Still no update 3 days later. Support doesn't seem to realise there is an issue.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Tommygun12, 

Do you know whether the Top-up order has been completed?  If so you may need to restart your modem so it can reconnect to the current profile. 

jSum

Experiencing the same issue in regards to adding top-ups ... 

When are telstra going to fix this issue or at least explain the situation correctly in their account/email messages instead of telling us it will take 30 minutes max? Will this happen every time we want to add a top-up and we will have to telephone support and listen to their vague 'sooner or later / escalation' words that tell us nothing?

I rely on the internet for work, so do many people, this never used to happen and assume it is a NBN issue telstra are failing to resolve? When this be fixed Telstra?

Perfection

I got a top up which was activated quickly but the speed did not increase until I switched the modem off for 10 minutes then rebooted it. I knew that was common sense. However I clicked the link for a new top up yesterday & have received no confirmation email, & Telstra on the phone says the request is in their system & will be finalised by the end of the business day. However that did not happen. So obviously these free top ups can take a while to come through.

Support Team
Support Team

Yes the top ups aren't always instant, they can take from 2 hours to 2 days in a lot of cases. To be sure you can either track your order online here  http://tel.st/cbjl or chat to the team on the following sceure chat link to have them double check   http://tel.st/hsc3

Get back to me if you need further assistance.

Angela 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now