CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
yangkish
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL 2 drop outs

Answered

Hi all,

I have been experiencing constant drop outs with my internet connection in the last five days and can not find a solution. The drop outs can occur from as little as 3 mins to 1 hour and is not isolated to one device. I have done the following:

1. Isolation test: only the modem is connected and drop outs continued.

2. Called telstra and had the internet changed to a Noise Profile 4 connection, however drop outs continued.

3. Called telstra again and they sent a tech out to help, and he checked the lines outside, all of which were newly installed 3 months ago. I was using the technicolor tg587n v3 modem when he was here and he checked that everything was properly connected. He changed the channel to 7 to avoid conflicts with other signals, he also changed the port outside just in case and said maybe its the modem thats faulty because the only lights that go red are the ECO and internet. WAN, wireless and ethernet stays green. He stayed for 20mins but no drop outs occured during his visit.

4. The drop outs continued so I changed the router to a new one (Belkin) and I'm still getting drop outs. 

I have a macbook, a vista desktop and 4 mobiles connected wirelessly, and an android version of appletv connected via ethernet. The internet was working perfectly fine since I first moved in and joined telstra  in dec 2012 until now. The phone still works during a drop out. 

When the dropouts occur during the use of the technicolor modem I get the message in my browser to make sure that I have a filter, etc connected, etc. I also checked the event log:

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

Please help. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
yangkish
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL 2 drop outs

Hi all,

The technician came out on Monday morning and when he tested the line, no drop outs occured and I was getting good speeds. I showed him the event logs from both the technicolor and belkin modems with drop outs at 2am Monday morning and he said the only thing that he could think of as the cause of the problem is a dodgy port, therefore he changed the port at the exchange (again, a similar story to the first technician that came out last week). He also said a slightly faulty port may be sending sudden pulses and that is enough to cause drop outs. 

Its been over 24 hours and no drop outs!!! But I had a great night on Saturday with no drop outs as well. 

This also makes me question whether the first technician even bothered to change the port like he said he would. Firstly it was because there were no drop outs during the time he was suppose change it (within 30 mins from when he left my place) and he never called back like the 2nd technician did to confirm that he changed the port. 

So if a dodgy port was really the cause of the problem, then the first technician just wasted my time because he wasn't bothered to change it even when I showed him event logs. 

The 2nd technician said if there are anymore drop outs to call Telstra again and to refuse to do any of the tests they ask me to do since it would be my third time and to directly ask for a technician to be sent out. 

Also the configuration page on My Bigpond is set to a customised setting by Telstra and I can no longer go in and change it back to standard.

I will be monitoring the connection and drop outs for another day before calling to request a change back to the standard speed settings or unfornately, request a technician if the drop outs continue. 

To avoid technicians who are not bothered because they didn't see any drop outs during your visit, keep heaps of event logs, from a few different days as evidence of a constant and on going drop out problem, and also have another modem next to the one that is connected or they would just blame it on a faulty modem even if you have tested it with another before and returned to a friend. 

Goodluck everyone and keep calling until they send a technician that is bothered to do something and know what to do. The first one was dodgy, he told me to connect my laptop via ethernet and go into the technicolor modem settings and manually click "connect" under internet everytime I get a drop out. I explained to him that it was not limited to one device and that I'm not able to open any pages, not even the settings page without an internet connection.

Keep hassling Telstra, goodluck.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Level 22: Superhuman

Definitely seems like either a line issue, or an equipment issue on their end.

I assume you have actually checked/replaced you filter, sometimes they get decayed.

If you are sure it's not a filter problem, I'd be putting in a call and asking for 2nd level to check the equipment on thier end.

Keep your logs, so that if need be, you can refer to them

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

yangkish

Yep, changed to new filters, changed new phone lines as well. 

Second level support, get someone to look at the Bigpond end.

Let us know how you go.

Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

merlinux
Level 3: Gumshoe

I suggest you unplug everything from the socket and then plug in a phone and check if you have dial tone. If you don't this is where your problem is....

The copper wire is actually a pair of wires and sometimes one of them get cut/corroded. When this happens you will lose the dial tone/power however you may still connect to the internet with high packet loss and constant disconnection... Happens often Smiley Wink

yangkish

Hi all,

I called Telstra twice today.

First time I requested a level 2 tech but the guy on the phone was like "I am level 2 tech" and made me go through all the stuff I did earlier e.g. isolation tests, change filter, change modems, etc. Finally at the end he said he would change my connection to a stable connection (Noise Profile 4) which was already done on Monday. But he insisted that its not high enough and to wait four hours for any drop outs after. Checked my bigpond configuation at its the same noise profile I had since Monday. 

Called the second time after four hours because of drop outs, escalated to level 2 tech, he did tests on his side and no fault could be detected, I experienced internet drop outs during the call, all of which I kept evidence of from the event log because the tech that came on Tuesday reported back that there were no drop outs (which was true during his visit). Had the telephone unplugged because the guy didnt believe me that I experienced drop outs even after using 3 different filters to test it and with the modem directly connected to the socket. Of course the drop outs continued.

Now I have to wait to Monday for them to send a tech out to check whether there is a fault between the exchange and my home. 

Will update.

Zerono95
Level 1: Cadet

Hi I have the same problem. Actually many people in my town do which makes me think that it is Telstra's fault.

When I was on Optus broadband and Telstra home phone no problems as soon as we switched drops outs started that last hours even days of just dropping out trys to reconnect and drops out again. When the phone rings it cuts off the internet and we get static interference over the phone now and you can barely hear.

We have tried all different filters tests and all that jazz. Rung telstra they weren't at all helpful so I gave up. Not to meantion we drop from around 10Mbps to 256kbps after some drop outs and sometimes even slower.

As I said before several people in my town have the same problem. I live in Tamworth NSW.

I'll be following this thread to see how it goes.

Hank_The_Tank

Hi Yangkish,

The description of your issue sounds very similar to what I'm experiencing. Just signed up to Telstra ADSL 2+ with a Telstra T Gateway modem and I can see the ADSL PPoE services dropping, then re-negotiating and connecting again. (Process takes about 1 to 2 minutes).It's very strange becasue I on Sunday it stayed up for 9 hours, however Sunday evening you could not get  more than 15 minutes before it would drop off again. (Line has been completely isolated during this testing) I tried using a different modem (draytek vigor) and I got a similar amount of drop outs. So I think it must be the line. I  haven't called telstra yet, becasue I don't have hours to sit on the phone convincing them there is a problem, only to have it stay up for 9 hours and them cal me back saying it is working. It seems to be more often in of the evening that it drops off. The Draytek mdem has a logging feature so I might run this to see how often it is reconnecting and show the logs to telstra to see what they say.  I will be monitoring your post to see what the outcome is. I'll let you know if I have any luck with my connection as well.

Regards Hank 

yangkish
Accepted Solution

Hi all,

The technician came out on Monday morning and when he tested the line, no drop outs occured and I was getting good speeds. I showed him the event logs from both the technicolor and belkin modems with drop outs at 2am Monday morning and he said the only thing that he could think of as the cause of the problem is a dodgy port, therefore he changed the port at the exchange (again, a similar story to the first technician that came out last week). He also said a slightly faulty port may be sending sudden pulses and that is enough to cause drop outs. 

Its been over 24 hours and no drop outs!!! But I had a great night on Saturday with no drop outs as well. 

This also makes me question whether the first technician even bothered to change the port like he said he would. Firstly it was because there were no drop outs during the time he was suppose change it (within 30 mins from when he left my place) and he never called back like the 2nd technician did to confirm that he changed the port. 

So if a dodgy port was really the cause of the problem, then the first technician just wasted my time because he wasn't bothered to change it even when I showed him event logs. 

The 2nd technician said if there are anymore drop outs to call Telstra again and to refuse to do any of the tests they ask me to do since it would be my third time and to directly ask for a technician to be sent out. 

Also the configuration page on My Bigpond is set to a customised setting by Telstra and I can no longer go in and change it back to standard.

I will be monitoring the connection and drop outs for another day before calling to request a change back to the standard speed settings or unfornately, request a technician if the drop outs continue. 

To avoid technicians who are not bothered because they didn't see any drop outs during your visit, keep heaps of event logs, from a few different days as evidence of a constant and on going drop out problem, and also have another modem next to the one that is connected or they would just blame it on a faulty modem even if you have tested it with another before and returned to a friend. 

Goodluck everyone and keep calling until they send a technician that is bothered to do something and know what to do. The first one was dodgy, he told me to connect my laptop via ethernet and go into the technicolor modem settings and manually click "connect" under internet everytime I get a drop out. I explained to him that it was not limited to one device and that I'm not able to open any pages, not even the settings page without an internet connection.

Keep hassling Telstra, goodluck.

View solution in original post

Thanks for the update Yangkish,

Definitely out of your controland equipment.

A pity it wasn't solved on the first run-out by a technician.

Can you mark the issue as "Solved" (once you are confident on your line speeds).

This will help others in future.

ZeroNo95, you should get it escalated,and if it's happening to others, make a complaint, but if the people are all over town on different exchanges your issue might just be a bad port on your exchange.

However, if you are saying the Internet drops out when the phone rings,  there's a possibility it could be something wrong on your end.

If you've tried "all different filters", did you try a NEW one (**bleep** msith etc sell them), since the behaviour you are describing points to that.

If you HAVE tried new filters, then definitely escalate to 2nd level support, and let us know how you go.

Zerono95

Yes I have tried brand new filters that i went out and bought and my friends that get the drop outs are on the same exchange as I am on. 

I'm thinking the phone problem is on my end and the net problem on telstra because only my home phone cuts the net out not other people I have spoken to but then again had no problem when we were on Optus.

Bofa

Ive been having drop outs for a month since we changed plans. No one at telstra willing or able to fix it. Worked fine for a week then started again today. Not getting what I'm paying for and I will be telling everyone that will listen that's it's very unreliable broadband provider and support is poor.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Bofa,

When customers experience disconnections after changing between ADSL and ADSL2+ the first thing that I check is that they are using ADSL2+ filters on all devices connecting to any phone socket in the premises.

The next is to make sure that they have upgraded their modem to one that is ADSL2+ compatible.

As ADSL2+ is more susceptible to interference, have a look through this link which contains the first things that we check to try and resolve disconnections.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

If the disconnections continue after the above checks, then the next step is to apply a line profile. Customers are able to manage these using the information found below.

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/adsl-line-profiles [Note: after logging in, some customers will be redirected to My Account and need to perform the following steps to then select Account Services then My BigPond from the menu located at the top right of the page.]

If you continue to experience disconnections after the above checks, then please contact Tech Support on 133 933 or https://livechat.telstra.com/ so that the network can be investigated further.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Dabs

No urgency shown, no care... Nothing! Absolutely DISGUSTING
Ausworkshop4
Level 3: Gumshoe

I've been going through the exact same thing only I was on adsl2 already with a good fast connection for 12 months. I've changed nothing at my end, I'm 100% sure it is something they did when they changed me over to what I found out is now a Hybrid connection.  They never warned me of the change and most of the staff I speak to don't even know what a hybrid connection is let alone try and trouble shoot it.

This is crazy that we have to spend so many hours trying to fix a problem we never even caused.  I have a buiness to run, I work from home and need a reliable connection again.

I should be compensated for all the lost hours and frustration, I'm going through the exact same thing over and over and getting no where, it's even dropping out while I type this.  I now have to copy and paste this all into a notepad because when I click Post it will all be lost until I refresh the browser.  I've been working this way for over a month now and completley fed up and furious with Telstra's lack of support or even acknowledging they cause the problem in the first place. Can't even do my business emails, it's taking me twice as long to get anything done and my business and family are suffering as a result.

Yet I still have to pay the bill each month for this crap!

Insane!  

I should get free data for a year to make up for all this. A complete rip off, while Telstra just get richer from us all.

brisgold

Pretty sure we are almost living the same experience. I'm so tired of calling Tech support to go thru the same hoops and end up with the same useless connection that always drops out

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now