CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
GenP
Level 3: Gumshoe

ADSL 2 drop outs

Answered

Hello Telstra,

I live in Mcdowall Brisbane, since 31/12/2013 I have had my ADSL cable broadband drop out quite often to this day. I have replaced my modem / router with a new one, downloaded the tool kit, bypassed any lightning protection that I have and replaced the ADSL / phone filter has well and still drops out. The drop outs seems to be getting less until I got a phone call today, then it dropped out. Your help would be appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL 2 drop outs

Hi GenP,

It certainly sounds like you have isolated the modem, but apart from the phone and modem, do you have any anything else connecting into a telephone socket in the premises? 

If you experience disconnections when the phone rings, this is usually caused my a faulty filter/phone or unfiltered phone/device. Have a look through this link to help make sure that there are no simple fixes that have been overlooked: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

If you continue to experience difficulties, then please report this through to our Tech Support team on 133 933 so that it can be investigated further.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

GenP
Accepted Solution

Telstra (Tim) came out today, right on time. Found a broken wire between 2 pits outside. All repaired and working real well. Thanks Telstra team for your help and customer service.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
fast
Level 1: Cadet

hi

if you OWNED a Mcdonalds Store u would get fast service, or the owner of u know wat lol just ma 2 cents 

GenP

Smiley Very HappyYeah, i hear you . Worth a try at least!!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi GenP,

It certainly sounds like you have isolated the modem, but apart from the phone and modem, do you have any anything else connecting into a telephone socket in the premises? 

If you experience disconnections when the phone rings, this is usually caused my a faulty filter/phone or unfiltered phone/device. Have a look through this link to help make sure that there are no simple fixes that have been overlooked: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

If you continue to experience difficulties, then please report this through to our Tech Support team on 133 933 so that it can be investigated further.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

GenP

Hi Shelly,

Thankyou for your reply.

I have a additional phone in the bedroom with a ADSL filter. I noticed that when i disconnected the (2nd) phone the ADSL dropped out. I also disconnected the 1st phone and ADSL dropped out. So now i have left both phones disconnected until toomorrow around this time and see if i have any more drop outs. I shall keep you posted.

GenP

ADSL dropped out without any phones connected. About 6 hours after my last post.
GenP

I did notice that my line configuration is locked on fast but needs to be switched to standard. I have tried a few times in switching it over, ever since Tuesday, but it keeps telling me that a change is in progress and try again in 24 hrs.........I did this but no luck.
GenP

Its certainly looks like its all working good now, since early Saturday morning 11/01/14.

GenP

One (1) drop out today around 2pm 14/01/2014 since last post. Shortly after i received voice mail from telstra saying they see a bit of voltage on the line. They are calling back tomorrow 15/01/2014. I still have the problem of been unable to switch my line profile from "Fast" to "Standard".

GenP

Telstra called today. Made an appointment with service tech for the middle of next week. Plenty of static on the phone line & ADSL continue to drop out more today. Nice chatting with Telstra customer service.

I am leaving the phones disconnected until problem is sorted.

GenP
Accepted Solution

Telstra (Tim) came out today, right on time. Found a broken wire between 2 pits outside. All repaired and working real well. Thanks Telstra team for your help and customer service.

Support Team
Support Team

Glad to hear it's been sorted out for you!

Acter
Level 10: Junior Detective

Hello to Telstra BigPond.  Up until about three weeks ago, my ADSL2plus for which I pay a high value each month in advance was reasonably reliable.  Since then speed had slowed by more than half from about 12 mbs/sec to less than 5 mbs/sec.  Tried the online test, had an immediate effect, slowed even further.  In addition several times a day at least experiencing multiple drop outs and disconnections, putting at risk current applications of an important nature, as well as the need to reboot and so on and so on.  All hardware, desktop ok not the issue, problem may be a line quality issue, but getting very annoyed at back to the future internet service.  Live in ACT, so can you assist please.

Thanks in advance.

Acter

PS - Just checked the log for one application, 12 drop outs today alone.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Acter,

If you haven't done so already, you will need to contact Tech Support on 133 933 or via Live Chat http://tel.st/gq6m so that this can be investigated further for you.

They will ask you to perform some basic checks such as those in the below links and organise a technician if the issue is not resolved.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Speed-Issues/ta-p/278139

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/Change-your-ADSL-Line-profile/ta-p/110182

- Shelly

Acter

Re: ADSL 2 drop outs and dial up speed

Shelley - With much trepidation, took your advice and tried the impossible ie problem resolution online.  My concerns were more than justified.  After the interminable time pushing buttons, the circular automated system, finally spoke to an officer.  More tinkering, the proforma replies, not listening to the actual problems, instead coming up with the process that is designed to wear clients down, and hope they go away, then tick the box.  At my end, followed the process, but of course, no improvement at all, in fact, download speed slower than the old dialup, and today more time wasting same old same old, continue to pay high cost in advance monthly fee for so-called ADSL2+ , the wrong email for the so-called call back option.  In all the 2015 version of back to the future for BP clients.  Am on several Telstra feedback and reference groups, intend to use this live one as a case study, that BigPond is still tone deaf to actual customer service and good product outcomes, just ticking the box.  Nothing required on your part, am presuming that you have already ticked the box as to geeting rid of another troublesome customer.  Well done to all.

Acter

Update - Another prediction.  During yesterday's fiasco, made an appointment with the officer for a telephone follow up at his instigation, purely perfunctory of course, more box ticking, for today between 3-5 pm today (ie 7/10/2015) to progress resolution if the online work was not successful.  Feeling somewhat risk averse, rearranged my day to suit, but of course nothing so far.  Even bet no further contact from BP on this one, will have to spend countless hours in the weeks ahead to get some resolution, internet speed down to a crawl, less than 1 mbps for most of the day.

Acter

Update - Just after 5.00 pm EDST and guess what.  You guessed it, absolutely nothing from BP.  Did not honour the telephone appointment, did not really expect anything else from BP.  By the way online speed test down to 0.55 mbps.  Keep up the good work BP.

Acter

To All - see attached link, may not be any practical help to long suffering BP customers, but it seems that there is no differential in the indifference displayed to paying customers.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/business/angry-hume-traders-threaten-class-action-against-telstra-fo...

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now