CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL Connection Woes

Hi all,
After a recent post of mine, I've currently tried to apply for an ADSL broadband/home phone with both TPG and Telstra and have had no success, TPG said there was line conditioning equipment on the line so they couldn't proceed with the order. Telstra said they had to cancel the order (they didn't give a specific response - something about interference, they suggested another provider).

In this day and age I'm going bonkers without a fixed landline internet service, especially in a multi user medium to high usage household. It's quite frustrating as I open up my laptop/mobile phone and see at the very least 3-4 Bigpond routers in my neighbourhood, then a couple Foxtel ones also. 

I live roughly 40Km from the heart of Melbourne in a suburb (2.1KM from the exchange as the crow flies estimated 3KM cable length). http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/ reports that Telstra has no ports available. I've also got a resport from PacNet service qualification that I'll post below.

PacNet Service Qualification

AAPT
SQ failed

Telstra
Compatibility Check: passed
Compatibility Result: Service Number: 03XXXXXXXX Product Compatibility: DSL-L2 DSL-L2 compatible with existing products
SQ Check: passed
SQ Result: B2B Service Number: 03XXXXXXXX SQ: DSL-L2 SQ Response: Pass SQ Results Result: 256Kbps/64Kbps (Zone 1), Fail, M072, Transposition may be available. Submit order. Result: 512Kbps/128Kbps (Zone 1), Fail, M072, Transposition may be available. Submit order. Result: 512Kbps/512Kbps (Zone 1), Fail, M072, Transposition may be available. Submit order. Result: 1.5Mbps/256Kbps (Zone 1), Fail, M072, Transposition may be available. Submit order. Result: Open 1 (Zone 1), Fail, M072, Transposition may be available. Submit order. Result: Open 2 (Zone 1), Pass, M202, No Free Exchange DSL Ports. Line Interface: No ADSL Ports Primary Network: Incompatible Infrastructure Element
SQ Reference:

A month without landline internet and lots of $10/gb for mobile data, what are my options all? I'm starting to lose hope and wonder what I can do for Internet that's at least somewhat cost effective. I don't care about having a landline phone, I just want internet service. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: ADSL Connection Woes

Based on the Telstra SQ it is only a lack of ports, it is showing the line issue but has Transposition may be available, meaning that the line should be able to be connected to an ADSL connection, but they had no ports available.

On the ADSL2Exchange website it does have a list of providers who have their own equipment in your exchange, they will be your only chance. Anyone who runs on Telstra's DSLAMs in that exchange will have the issue of no ports as well...

I just had a look at your old topic as well again, and realised you asked a question which wasn't answered, and that is would it be different on Naked DSL, the answer is no... The line still needs to meet the requirements for a connection for the connection to be able to be supported regardless of if it is naked or traditional...

The biggest problem for most metro areas getting a connection is usually limited number of ports... a lot of metro areas end up with limited or no ports.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Thanks DrQwerty90 for your reply.
I've lodged an online application with Internode (who I thought was AGILE), yet on their order status it states Telstra DSLAM, I'll see how that goes anyhow, good thing is they don't charge until the order is completed.

I might have a squiz at some of the other providers, I'm not too phased with the monthly bill (even expensive ADSL is going to be cheaper than wireless options unfortunately Smiley Sad).

Highlighted

Internode use their AGILE ports first then once they are filled will revert back to Telstra Wholesale ports... a lot of providers work the same, which is often one of the reasons Telstra run out of theirs quicker.

And I agree, even the most expensive ADSL plans are going to be a lot cheaper then an Mobile Broadband option... even the $150 XL bundle with Telstra is cheaper than 25GB of MBB...

On a side note, iiNet often have their own too, and Optus do for a lot of Melbourne, but the areas they don't are really really random...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Hi DrQwerty90,
iiNet are next on the list to apply for in-case Internode provisioning fails. I can only hope that even one of them can provide a service to me. Unfortunately Optus isn't available in my area - That would've been too easy hey Smiley Happy.

Highlighted

Yeah, they have random areas where they don't... it doesn't seem to follow any pattern...

Best of luck with one of the two of them. Smiley Very Happy
Helpful Links

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit