MikeCrosbie
Level 3: Gumshoe

ADSL Disconnection

Can anyone offer a solution ???

I have been having constant dropouts of my home ADSL2+ connection for over 3 months now.  After many, many call to tech support they have finally recommended that I be connected via a new cable modem, which has been ordered.

My latest problem though is that my existing (albeit dodgy) ADSL2+ connection was immediately disconnected. This has left me with NO INTERNET at all until

the Telstra technician shows up to connect the new cable modem.

Why was the existing setup destroyed ???

I have now been paying for a virtually un-useable internet service for 3 months for no return, plus I cannot use my Netflix account.

I am totally frustrated by all this, with no end in sight .......

Crosbie

Latest SR number is SR1-1901331430599

Previous fault numbers include 169737320, 169465523

Mike Crosbie

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
33 REPLIES 33
Support Team
Support Team

Re: ADSL Disconnection

Hey @MikeCrosbie

I am sincerely sorry for the trouble with your service and we definitely want to ensure that this is sorted out for you. 

The case manager assigned to your complaint will be in the best position to discuss this further with you. I have contacted them to follow this up for you now and they should be in touch with you soon. 

Thanks

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MikeCrosbie

Thanks Jesse.

I have been waiting on the case manager to contact me for 2 days now, so hopefully this will happen soon.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @MikeCrosbie

Please keep us updated on how you go. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Level 21: Augmented

i could only suggest try reading this article

https://www.finder.com.au/fttn-nbn-router-comparison

maybe see if your modem/ router has SRA enabled, however if they have now disconnected the adsl it probably wont be much help.

some of the routers on that list allow for mobile failover.

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
MikeCrosbie

Hi Tanasha,

So far I have received nothing but deafening silence !

I have rung three times since last posting here, and each time have been promised my case manager will contact me shortly -- nothing !

I was also promised an extra 10Gb of mobile data to help compensate for my ADSL being cut off -- nothing !

I find that whenever you ring Telstra they are very helpful and make all the right noises on the phone, but this always turns out to be hot air !  NOTHING seems to actually happen behind the scenes.....

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @MikeCrosbie

Thanks for letting me know. I can appreciate your frustration.

I have reached out to your case manager and have asked them to call you as soon as possible. Regrettably, I'm not privy to their schedule so please allow between 1-2 business days for them to be in touch. 

Please keep me updated on this. 

MikeCrosbie

Hi Tanasha,

Just keeping you up to date........

booked a tech to install new cable connection last week, for this morning between 8:00 - 12:00.

Guess what ?  No technician, and no contact from Telstra !

(Took a day off work for this too !)

I am totally over Telstra and their broken promises 1

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for letting us know, Mike. I will email your case manager to request they contact you as a priority today.

MikeCrosbie

Thanks Shellock,
This is beyond a joke.
I have just been speaking to 132200 and was told that my case has been closed, after I booked a technician, and that is why he didn't arrive !!?
This is worse than a comedy show.....
I now have to book another time for a technician (and lose another day off work).

I have now been without a reliable internet connection since December for which I STILL HAVE TO PAY, waited for a non-existent technician, and finally had my case closed even though it had not been acted on !
I was also promised an extra 10Gb of data on my mobile phone so I could at least use mobile hot-spot -- guess what ? This didn't happen either...

I find the whole Telstra operation worse than a 3rd world country.
Another appointment booked for next Sat morning. If this is not resolved then, I will be going straight to the Ombudsman.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

This is definitely not the experience that we want for our customers and I have asked the complaint manager to follow up regarding the appointment for your new service and the billing concerns that you have mentioned. 

Please let me know if you have not heard from your case manager by 5pm tomorrow.

MikeCrosbie

Shellock / Tanasha / Jesse,

I had another appointment with a Telstra technician this morning (as related in my last post above).

Once again, no technician arrived, and there was no notification either by phone or MMS to explain.

I have now lodged a complaint with the Telecommunication Ombudsman.

Support Team
Support Team

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this appointment was again missed and that this has caused you to lodge this with the ombudsman. They will now liaise with us on your behalf to have this resolved and contact you with updates.

Thank you.
- Ryan

MikeCrosbie

Thanks Ryan,

After waiting on the phone for over 1.5hrs I finally got someone to find and follow the trail of my multiple orders.

Apparently the latest order for cable connection was not acted upon because "the order is incomplete" !! The operator could not elaborate further and tell me why it was incomplete.

It is surely not hard -- one cable modem, and one splitter box for the cable.

Once again no explanation as to why I was not contacted about this.

If this was not so ludicrous, it would be funny.

I can only hope that some resolution is finally arrived at by the Ombudsman ........

Support Team
Support Team

Hi, I would like to thank you for taking the time to get back to us, especially with everything that is happening. I have let Ryan know on your behalf. May I ask if you have spoken with our Activations Team about this directly? They are available on  1800 912 842 this area are open today between 8am to 8pm everyday.

MikeCrosbie

Hi MammaB,
After wasting 12 hours waiting for "phantom" technicians to arrive, and many, many hours waiting on the phone (including 4 hrs waiting for technician this morning, and 1.5hrs on the phone this afternoon) I am totally over it !
I cannot understand why my existing ADSL internet connection was disconnected as soon as the order went in for a cable modem, and why it cannot be re-instated until I am connected via cable ???

I have been given multiple numbers to call, most of which are only available Mon-Fri.
I will call this Activation number on Monday, if the others fail (as expected !)

Thanks for your input.
MikeCrosbie

I am also at a loss to understand how Telstra can keep billing me for a service that they ARE NOT PROVIDING.......
Support Team
Support Team

Thank you for getting back to me. This team is actually available this weekend if you wish to give them a call. If not please let us know the outcome of a call on Monday. We are here 24x7 to try and assist. I appreciate that you have had enough and assure you we want nothing more than to be able to resolve this.  This team shall also be able to advise you of why your ADSL was disconnected early and why it can not be reconnected. I would like to apologise for this entire situation. 

MikeCrosbie

Hi MammaB,
I rang the Activation Team on the number you provided above, with no resolution (again).
They could not tell me why my ADSL was disconnected.
They would not re-connect my ADSL, because I had an order for Cable connection in the system (!)
They cannot tell me why the installation technician has not turned up on 3 occasions.
They cannot tell me why he did not contact me.
They cannot tell me why I am being billed for a service that Telstra is not providing.

In other words they cannot help at all, and I will have to ring again on Monday.
Support Team
Support Team

Oh goodness Mike, thank you for getting back to me and I do apologise that they were of no real help. I know this may not help now, but once this has all been resolved and the connection up and running as it should be, our Billing Team can be contacted and they shall be able to calculate an adjustment representing the amount of time you have had no connection. 

It also appears Mike that the complaint you provided details for has been closed. I can assure you that we shall work in conjunction with the TIO to finalise this for you. Please keep us updated on Monday if you can. 

MikeCrosbie

Thanks MammaB.
Are you able to work out why this was closed when there was no resolution ??
Support Team
Support Team

Regrettably not from here Mike as we do not have specific account access from Social Media to see this information. - Jo

MikeCrosbie

Hi MammaB (Jo), and Shellock / Jesse / Tanasha etc

I have rung the number you recommended to me again this morning (1800.135.103 opt 2)
All they could do was re-schedule another visit by the Telstra tech, which has been done.

They could not tell me any details of why my ADSL has been disconnected, why it cannot be re-connected, why my previous orders for a tech were cancelled, why I wasn't contacted, why I am still being billed for a service that Telstra is not providing.........

Hopefully this will be partly resolved if the technician bothers to arrive on Thursday (4th time lucky ??)
Support Team
Support Team

I can understand your frustration, Mike. Please let us know how you appointment goes on Thursday. 

- Tim 

MikeCrosbie

Tim (and MammaB, Jesse, Tanasha, etc etc who have all contributed),

I am pleased to report that my Technician finally arrived today (4th time lucky !) with the cable modem and splitter box.

All installed and working in under 15 minutes !

Why did this take 4 attemps, and many weeks of phone calls ? (I guess you just have to persevere until you eventually can find someone who knows what they are doing, doesn't spin you bullsh*t excuses, and just does the job efficiently !

*** One more question -- am I entitled to compensation for 3 months of Internet payments for a service that Telstra did not prpvide, yet continued to Bill me for ???

CARAGOG
Level 2: Rookie

Good Luck with the Ombudsman there is a 12 week delay in securing a case manager and that is just the start of the process. You are looking at probably six months before you even get heard. 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @MikeCrosbie

Thanks for letting us know, we're glad to hear this has been resolved for you.

Our consultants or your case manager would discuss the downtime with you however they usually wait until the service has been fixed or restored. 

In most cases, if you use another service such as a mobile in the interim, normal charges would apply for that though.

If this has now been been sorted out, I'll contact the case manager on your behalf & request they get in contact with you to discuss. 

While you can expect contact as soon as possible, this usually occurs within 2 business days. If for some reason contact doesn't occur by close of business Friday, please let us know.

We appreciate your patience with this & apologise for the past inconveniences.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

CARAGOG

The Ombudsman will take two weeks for what they call a referral period. Then when you think you are going to get your time to have a say they will tell you that their is a 12 week delay for a TIO Case Manager to be available. It is a hell of a journey and if Telstra fix your problem in the meantime then the TIO just close your file. Loss of phone numbers etc during migration to NBN is common so you are not on your on your own. You are better off just getting used to 'Telstra Time' and maybe ordering an Indian curry for dinner. 

CARAGOG

Ryan.....what a great job your are doing for Telstra. That's it buddy just channel them all into the TIO where their experience won't even get to a talking stage.
CARAGOG

Oh Goodness MammaB you are so good at being sincere, you really don;t believe all the Telstra tales do you?
CARAGOG

I can tell you Mike. They really don;t want your business and once you say you are the TIO the file at Telstra just gets junked. So you have to start all over again
CARAGOG

Compensation Mike? Nah mate that would be too hard to consider. You are better off now just taking the top off a cold one and hoping that your fixed line doesn't jst get disconnected at any old time of the day or night. That is a great experience to look forward to I have had it happen 4 times after I migrated to NBN from ADSL and it has taken two years out of my life getting Telstra to reconnect the
Support Team
Support Team

Hi CARAGOG,

Thanks for reaching out, it certainly doesn't appear that you're having a pleasant experience. While it I appreciate you sharing thoughts, it doesn't seem to be solving anything and I'd most like to do for you is find a solution to resolve your concerns.

Please do let me know how I can help.

MikeCrosbie

CARAGOG,

Thanks for the input.

However, the day after the technician arrived and installed the new cable modem, I got a follow-up call from Telstra to see how it went. Told the operator the installation (finally) went well, and they offered me three months credit for the time my Internet was not available.

That is a satisfactory resolution.

It's just a pity I had to put up with four appointments, three of which were "no-shows", to get his to happen (not to mention the countless hours on the phone to try and get this simple process resolved.)  All good now.

*** Update -- I just received a notification in the mail today warning me that the NBN was about to be connected. I shudder to think how this will go !

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more