CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
patatr
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL congestion issues

Answered

I’m having a problem with ADSL 2 congestion which does not make sense to me. I recently transferred my ADSL 2 connection from Port Macquarie exchange which connected at 20 mps to a rental property at Bonny Hills NSW which is 5.2 kms from the Lake Cathie exchange which connects at less than dial up i.e. 29 kps at best. So my new internet connection is basically unusable eventhough the modem firmware says the download speed is 3.5 mps

I rang Bigpond Tech Support to advise them of the problem and they said they would escalate it to level 2 tech support to investigate.  They then called back a few hours later and said the case was closed as it was due to congestion to the exchange. I called back to question this as they previous occupant of my rental house who moved out 2 weeks ago also had a Bigpond connection and he said his speed was fine. My ADSL speed is 29 kps even at 2am and 4am so I find it hard to believe the exchange is congested at those hours.

I called level 2 tech support again and got the same answer i.e. a congestion problem they could not fix and that I should call Complaints to get my ADSL contract cancelled or maybe they could talk to the exchange and change ports to see if that helped.

So a week later I get a note from a technician that say sorry it’s a congestion problem and there is nothing we can do. So I cancelled all my Telstra ADSL services reluctantly as I run my business from home but I still find the congestion explanation hard to accept as:

1. the person in the rental house before me had an Ok connection
  2. Telstra told me everyone with a Telstra ADSL port has equal access to the network so this should mean that every customer would be getting 29 kps which I find hard to believe.

How can Telstra sell any new ADSL connections for this exchange if everyone supposedly connecting at 29 kps – it does not make sense.

I have tried new ADLS splitters, a new modem and nothing has worked.

To make matters worse I also have a 4G prepaid mobile broadband modem which only connects before 6 am in the morning with any acceptable speed. Try and check your Hotmail at 2pm and it’s so slow the page almost does not load.

So I have a few questions:

1. Does this sound like an ADSL congestion problem?
  2. How come other Bigpond users get better ADSL speeds than me if we are all treated “equally” at the exchange
  3. How can Telstra sell any new connections if this is the speed people are getting?

Basically I was very happy with my ADSL service at Port Macquarie but find it hard to believe that in a growing town 20 minutes south of Port I can’t get any usable internet connection.

I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything here because my situation seems so unbelievable in this day and age.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL congestion issues

Correct. Any services connected through the same exchange equipment will be impacted regardless of ISP.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 23: Superhero

Firstly, it's odd that they even allowed a connection at 5.2km from the exchange, unless you are on a RIM/Cabinet of course.

If they have stated it's congestion then it probably is.  Especially if your throughput is significantly less than your hardware sync speed.

I live in the centre of the Gold Coast and I rely solely on wireless broadband because I can't get any fixed broadband.  Went from 100Mbps cable to this, so I understand your frustation.  This is the sort of situation the NBN is supposed to resolve, in whatever form it takes.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Patatr,

As an alternative, ADSL1 may be able to provide a more viable solution for you. This can then be connected to the ADSL1 exchange equipment in Lake Cathie which isn't impacted by the high demand that the ADSL2+ is.

Unfortunately we are not always block new customers from connecting to these sites as with some technologies this would also block phone services from being connected, which would be violate of the USO Agreement (http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/commitments/uso/).

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Level 23: Superhero

Shelly,

Question, if it's connected to the same exchange, and as such likely the same backhaul from the exchange, how would changing ports assist in this instance?

Is there completely separate backhaul links for ADSL1 vs ADSL2+?
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Kalak,

In this instance there are two sites, one is ADSL1 only and the other is ADSL2+. The one with ADSL1 is not impacted by high demand as ADSL2+ is the more popular choice for obvious reasons.  

Changing to ADSL1 equipment isn't always an option, but in cases where there is no planned upgrades in the near future, it can provide a more consistent service with the benefit of taking some of the load off the impacted ADSL2+ equipment.

patatr
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks for your comments everyone. Just FYI I did call TPG and they would not even connect me at a distance of 5.2 kms (4 is their limit). I think Telstra connected me as it was a transfer of service not a new connection.

However yesterday I did set up a ADSL 1 connection with iinet on the basis that the ADSL 1 contract would be cheaper to break if the service was no good.

As it turns out ADSL 1 is getting about 1.3mps so that is a vast improvement on the sub 30kps I was getting under ADSL2+ with Telstra

I was just about to ask iinet to upgrade the line to ADSL 2+ but am thinking I should just stick with 1 based on Shelly's comments.

Out of interest if Telstra ADSL2+is congested does that mean a non Telstra ISP will have the same problems with ADSL2+ out of the same exchange?

Or is some capacity specifically quarantined for non Telstra port connections?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Correct. Any services connected through the same exchange equipment will be impacted regardless of ISP.

CurtisBourke
Level 4: Private Eye

I had 3 technicians visit my house to see what the problem was with my internet. They discorvered that there was some 'junk' on the line. They then visited my closest exchange (5KM away) and found that it is congested. They said they are going to free space so I am not left with the congested ends of the exchange, if they were to free space would it help my interney speeds (300KB/s download, 50KB/s upload)?

Thanks,

Curtis

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now