Highlighted
Tacca
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL issues strange speeds and constant drop outs; TERRIBLE customer service

Answered

Hi, 

Last friday our internet began to drop every 30-90 mins, it's been solid as a rock for the last 5 years (ADSL2+).

I use a Dlink Taipan router, was reporting line attenuation at 1020/23396; however, using a speed test I was only getting 0.86Mbps download and 0.1Mbps upload; which is somewhat strange.

After speaking with a Telstra help representative, and using the 24x7 app it was determined that there was a line issue and a technician was arranged to come an inspect the line. 

in the mean time I got out my spare modem, an old Netgear ADSL2+ modem and tried that, the line speed remained constant and the download speed was steady at 15Mbps (a little lower than the Taipan modem (but I put that down to age, spec's etc)

So after discussing with Telstra, we cancelled the technician and decided that it was my modem/router that was the issue.

So I purchased an ASUS DSL-AC88U; with modem connected with the performance expected; but constantly disconnects sometime 3 times in 5 mins, and sometimes stays up for 60 mins, and then the cycle begins again.

I have had absolutely no useful help at all from the Telstra help lines, they constantly refer back to the telstra.com/fix site, completely ignoring what I tell them about the last x number of times I have been there and run the same test.

To cases where opened and both closed saying that everything was fixed and my ADSL service was completely fix. Neither time this was true. 

I had a look on the NBN site and noticed that my NBN status changed from planned to build commenced; I was wondering if this was the cause of the constant drop outs and bizarre speed issues. The 3 people I spoke to at Telstra completely dismissed this, and again closed my fault report.

I have been on hold to the 1800 790 762 number now for 45 mins and am getting progressively more and more annoyed. I suspect a new ISP/ mobile / foxtel provider will be getting my business soon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tacca
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL issues strange speeds and constant drop outs; TERRIBLE customer service

Visit from Telstra technician again this morning; the connection had been changed to "Hybrid". This was removed from the line and all is good.... so far...

Makes me wonder why it took so many phone calls, purchase of a new router and a tech visit to find and fix something that Telstra themselves had done to the line.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES
Level 23: Superhero

Re: ADSL issues strange speeds and constant drop outs; TERRIBLE customer service

Does the old Netgear modem suffer the same drop outs?

Can you hear any hum or crackling on the Telephone? If you can then it is a cable fault. Rreport the fault as a phone fault, you are more likely to get it fixed and it will fix the fault with the ADSL connection.

The NBN working in your area can cause a fault as new cables from the Node are spliced onto the existing cables.

I surprised you were kept on hold for that time. I rang the same number last night and was connected to a human as soon as I finished speaking with the robot.

Tacca

Hi, the land line is excellent, the netgear modem is also struggling with speeds and dropouts.

Level 21: Augmented

Few years ago, I had similar issue... It was faulty ADSL filter... Maybe worth trying to replace the existing one...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

The problem occurs with three different modems so its not a modem problem but either the cable or house wiring.

The only way you might get some action is to lodge an official complaint or ring up during business hours and say "disconnection" as reason for call.

Information about making a official complaint can be found hear

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/our-complaints-handling-p...

@Tacca,

with all due respect to @cf4's contribution here, I do not agree (anymore) that complaining and threatening disconnection works, nor should work... I believe in proactively working with involved parties... So as @cf4 correctly said, since the problem can be replicated with three different modems, it has to be somewhere else... And that needs to be investigated...

So, please, did you try to replace your ADSL filter? How are you actually connected? I have seen really messy wiring  in older houses, or at places where people "supposedly being IT pros" were living...

Since your connection was good for many years, I would also ask - were there any heavy rains recently, have you noticed any digging around? All these can attribute to your problem...

And as for the changing ISPs - your copper will remain the same. So if the copper is the problem, you are back to square one and probably even worse... 

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

@ForesincsGuru
@Tacca has already tried to be procactive

"I have had absolutely no useful help at all from the Telstra help lines, they constantly refer back to the telstra.com/fix site, completely ignoring what I tell them about the last x number of times I have been there and run the same test.

To cases where opened and both closed saying that everything was fixed and my ADSL service was completely fix. Neither time this was true.

I had a look on the NBN site and noticed that my NBN status changed from planned to build commenced; I was wondering if this was the cause of the constant drop outs and bizarre speed issues. The 3 people I spoke to at Telstra completely dismissed this, and again closed my fault report."

If you have ever used the com/fix site one of the test is to connect the modem directly to phone socket with all phones disconnected.
Tacca

I had a Telstra technician visit this morning, he was excellent and most helpful. The line was fine, the modems were all working fine.

Turns out that there is a few people in my area with exactly the same issue. So the problem has been escalated again.
Tacca
Accepted Solution

Visit from Telstra technician again this morning; the connection had been changed to "Hybrid". This was removed from the line and all is good.... so far...

Makes me wonder why it took so many phone calls, purchase of a new router and a tech visit to find and fix something that Telstra themselves had done to the line.
Level 19: Deputy Director

Thanks for reporting back about the Hybrid issue. There are a lot of reports on here about ADSL NBN dropouts. This gives us all another option to look into with these problems.
All is not lost, that ASUS modem router sounds like pretty hot stuff. You could always bridge Telstra's modem. You can reset it if you need to do this. Then connect ASUS to it and use it to do everything almost. The modems light may go red, but don't panic, it still works. You could try flashing ASUS with openwrt or dd-wrt which is better and more complex [ie: security options are more numerous], better supported, setup VPN. This will definitely improve wifi security. But "wifi security" these days is a bit of an oxymoron.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more