CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Pilchards333
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL1 or ADSL2

Answered

hi

i have a bit of a strange one i cant get my head around. 

ive just moved into a 2 year old townhouse in mount gravatt, that had never had a phone connection.

rest of the street is on NBN can only assume my place wasnt built when the rest of the street rolled out.

tech connected my line last Friday, plugged in my old modem on Saturday, and surprisingly, it synced up, and had connection, i was stoked. im close to the exchange (less than 800 m of cable), and on testing, i was getting between 8-10Mbs down and .9 Mbs up..i thought it was a bit slow as my previous adsl2 connection was more or less the same distance and was 22000 down 1 up.

My max sync is showing as 23000 down and 1.08 up.

my achieved sync is closer to 10000 down and 1.08 up

i spoke to telstra who advised the speed issue was due to the move not being completed yet, and to wait for my new modem, so i did.

modem arrived monday, same speeds. another 1 on the phone running through test, im told there is a line fault in the area causing it, and it would be resolved on the 20/7, not that i could find this on a telstra status page.

an hour later i got a call from telstra again. after explaining why i had made 2 calls in 2 days on a new connection, she advised me that i was wasting my time trying to fix it as i was connected to an adsl port as thats all that was available.if thats the case, cool,i can deal with it as i expected to not get anything due to lack of ports.

what i dont understand dis how im achieving 1.08Mbs upstream sync if its an adsl1 connection, and why my modem says its an adsl2 connection and can see my peak sync speeds, which are ADSL2 speeds, not adsl1...

The other strange thing, prior to receiving the smart modem, i was playing around with the snr settings on my asus,and no matter the adjustment, the snr didn't change..? 

any thoughts from anyone? im in IT and usually have no issues getting my issues fixes, but i just  dont understand whats going on on the config side? 

cheers

trav 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL1 or ADSL2

The maximum sync rate of 2300 indicates you have a ADSL2 and a stability profile has probably been applied to your line resulting in the lower sync rate and higher than normal SNR. If there is a fault on the line a higher SNR is applied to prevent any drop outs and overrides any settings on your modem.

You could request the stability profile be removed.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

The maximum sync rate of 2300 indicates you have a ADSL2 and a stability profile has probably been applied to your line resulting in the lower sync rate and higher than normal SNR. If there is a fault on the line a higher SNR is applied to prevent any drop outs and overrides any settings on your modem.

You could request the stability profile be removed.

Pilchards333
Level 2: Rookie

i was thinking something like this, thanks for the advice...its the only thing that seems to make sense..

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now