CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL2: Sync on Modem but unable to access the web

Hi guys,

I am hoping you can help me here. I have recently (20/12/12) had my landline connection restored from a fault at the exchange and my ADSL connection restored at the exchange the next day (21/12/12).

I am able to get a sync on my Netgear DG834Gv3 but am not able to access the web. The router error message kept returning the same message saying that it failed authentication. I've called the tech support and we've tried resetting my password but it still was unsuccessful. I am able to access MyBigpond.

I do not believe my modem/router is faulty.

Have any of you guys experience this issue before?

Thanks!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: ADSL2: Sync on Modem but unable to access the web

I have, however it resolved itself after a system? upgrade

Easiest way is to create a PPP Connection on your PC, and try connecting using that through your modem. If you are using a Modern Windows system, details on how to do this can be found at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Create-a-PPPoE-connection-to-the-Internet

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Hi Ben_F,
I had the DG834G acting as a bridge and had another router do all the "talking". That did not work as well.

The error message from the router was "CHAP Authentication failed".

I'll try your suggested method but on a Mac.
Highlighted

Hi again,

No luck with trying to create a PPPoE connection via the computer. It is still failing authentication and I still  highly doubt it is my modem. I'm going to try it again on another modem.

Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

@ishwankhoo wrote:

Hi again,

No luck with trying to create a PPPoE connection via the computer. It is still failing authentication and I still  highly doubt it is my modem. I'm going to try it again on another modem.

If a PPPoE connection isn't working, then its likely not to be the modem. I would re-raise it with Telstra, and ask them to escalate to the "Testers"

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Yea I've escalated this issue again. One of their techie's coming over tmrw to check things out.

Thanks again buddy!

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Sounds like a normal authentication issue to me... When they changed your password did you update your modem with it? Keeping in mind if the format is ####123## the letters will all be uppercase.
Lathania

Yes, I've updated the modem with the new password. The strange thing is that I am not able to successfully authenticate using a PPPoE connection. I keep receiving the message "CHAP Authentication Failed". It was only successful using the PPPoA methond. It was using PPPoE until I had trouble with the landline that eventually caused the ADSL connection problem.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Did you get this issue solved? We've just moved house and are getting the same authentication failed error despite correct username and password, we are able to connect to big pond. Going round and round in circles with telstra, tech support to activations. , no one can find the problem. It's been escalated and we have to wait 5 days for someone to call us back. Had 2 technicians out, initially line didn't work which 1st guy fixed then very minor line fault which 2nd guy fixed, both were able to log on using their details. Frustrated!!!!! Would love to know if you got it sorted.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit