CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Dustoff59
Level 1: Cadet

ADSL2+ running at 56k speeds

Answered
Ok, first of all I have seen the other threads relating to this subject BUT, none related to my location.
I'm a computer engineer myself having over 20 years in in the industry.
I first noticed my Internet running very slowly about 4 days ago. The very first thing I did was to conduct a international check of my systemsq, modem, computer and connections. I have not added anything new nor made any changes to my setup or LAN.
Having once done a thorough check at my end and recorded download speeds of 76Kbs and uploads of just over 36kbs I decided it was time to give Bigpond tech support a call. They commented that the system had been experiencing problems and they couldn't help me for the time being, please call back.
The next day I called back but to my surprise I was put through to another department, however I was hung up on. I called back and told them about the speeds I was experiencing. Once again I was told that their systems relatiing to testing and so on we're down. ..... Please call back tomorrow.
When at dinner with friends I commented to friends about my ADSL2 speed....... Surprise surprise.... They all commented that they were experiencing similar speed issues.
The following day, I called back and it was mentioned that my account had been rounded, some may call it shaped, some who call it for what it is call slowing the connection. The kind woman from the Philipines answering centre assured me that my speed would be corrected. Hours later it was stil the same. I decided to wait till today to check it again and discovered that it was still at dial up speeds. This is totally unexceptable! I am paying for a service at the highest speed possible at ADSL2+ connection. Under Australian consumer law, if any business promotes a particular product and fails to provide that product at the advertised speeds, the business is required to make any and all efforts to rectify the problems and provide those services to the customer.
I have never enjoyed the speeds that I pay for, however, as a IT professional, I accept that what Telstra states is its speeds is only the theoretical speeds attainable and not those speeds that are available at the customers house. I accept that, and am happy to accept a connection at say 15,000Kbps. But over the last 6 months this speed has slowly decreased beyond an acceptable level.
Now, with this current speed, I am suffering time outs at every instance. I can't use mt Telstra T-Box for movies. At this point I am seriously considering placing this issue in the hands of the telecommunications ombudsman or Fair Trading or both if this issue is not corrected within the next 24 hours. I am feeling fortunate that at least my house phone nd mobile work.
So please Telstra / Bigpond, pretty please with sugar on it, fix my ADSL 2+ speed.
Thankyou
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL2+ running at 56k speeds

G'day Dustoff59, and welcome to Crowdsupport.

Looks like you have been through the wars  .  

Couple of things, does this site give you anything noticeable?

http://servicestatus.telstra.com/servicestatus/goc.do?q=summary.html

Second, since you first noted it 4 days ago, have you been affected by rain?  If so, it'll probably be the copper.

If you placed a call, is the call still open? 

Lastly, you could try the complaints area and get a resolution

http://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact-us/complaints/

If livechat doesn't give you a satisfactory answer, place an email complaint.  You WILL get a response, and an incident number.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Accepted Solution

G'day Dustoff59, and welcome to Crowdsupport.

Looks like you have been through the wars  .  

Couple of things, does this site give you anything noticeable?

http://servicestatus.telstra.com/servicestatus/goc.do?q=summary.html

Second, since you first noted it 4 days ago, have you been affected by rain?  If so, it'll probably be the copper.

If you placed a call, is the call still open? 

Lastly, you could try the complaints area and get a resolution

http://www.telstra.com.au/help/contact-us/complaints/

If livechat doesn't give you a satisfactory answer, place an email complaint.  You WILL get a response, and an incident number.

Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Dustoff59
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Wanglese,
Thankyou for your comments and offers. One of the first things I did think of was rain effecting my copper connection lacally but given we haven't had any real rain to speak of for a while now, more precisely within the period mentioned that was one of the first things I took into consideration.

To bring all that are reading this up to date, I as of yesterday experienced a notice from Telstra stating that my connection to Telstra was double logged in. I had a connection, but could not use the Internet at all. I was about to call tech support again when I had a knock on the door. It was my neighbor from across the road. He asked me if I could use the Internet. I said no and he asked me if my login details were ......... And password ....... I said yeah, how did you know that. He said that bigpond has him loged in with my details. I looked at his modem which is a net gear and his login details were his, not mine. I called a friend who put me through to an area of Telstra who ran some tests. Apparently Telstra were in the throws of doing some work on the exchanges in the area and somehow my neighbor and I had suffered a data crossover resulting in my details migrating to his line. We soon had it sorted with me requiring a new passord. Unfortunately, my neighbor didn't fair so well and he was on the phone to Telstra and they told him that he had to pay something in the region of $125 aud to get premium tech support. Pay for tech support for issues that Telstra started? Are they serious. Fortunately common sense prevailed and they ended up wavering that.
Seriously guys, this is simply not good enough. I'm still suffering speeds as low as 9Mbps lol, um yeah right. Upstream is around 87Kbps. I do remotes to servers and mainframes via VPN. Can you imagine how frustrating it is to do my work at that speed.
At this poing I am happy to be able to bearly get onto my clients. The timeouts are frustrating, uploads take forever, and I'm paying these prices? Who is the fool here?

In answer to your questions my friend, yes I have, and while it's taken me numerous attempts to get satisfaction, I am far from satisfied with the outcome. A friend of mine at the coal face who works at the exchanges has reliably told me that this end of town has seen an increase in population almost 3 fold and no real upgrades to keep pace with demand. It's much like the electricity service up here, a patchwork of band aid fixes which don't really address the core issues.

How can Telstra honestly expect the public to continue paying for these "high speed ADSL 2+ speeds" when Telstra knows it can't supply those services. I can honestly see a class action comming their way and possibly more if they don't pull their fingers out and make the required changes needed to honour their obligations. How can they get away with advertising these speeds, yet knowingly not be able to deliver on them. I a public company advertised given services, accepted payment for those services in full knowledge they couldn't provide them, how long do you think they would last before fair trading or the ombudsman or the Government got involved with hefty fines involved, court, and so on. But Telstra seems to be able to do it with impunity.

Why should we pay our bills if Telstra doesn't provide us with the services they sell to us and bill us for? I wonder if their hands shake when telling us to pay our bills for services they haven't provided.

I seriously believe that Telstra should have up in big bold letters in its PDS (Public Disclosure Statement) that the figures as merely theoretical figures and Telstra can in no way provide those same speeds to all customers. AND should give more accurate figures that are working figures for their area and not theoretical figures at the exchange. This should be shown on all advertising and the sales people should be more informed and tell customers what speeds they can expect at their homes.

Sorry for the rant but after hearing from numerous clients suffering similar issues, and telstras all to common and well known line of deny everything and it's the customers modem or computer thats at fault when in fact it's known to them that the issue is at telstras end. I'm just about at my whits end and simply going to take a stand and refuse to pay for services that that I'm not recieving. If we all took this approach, how long do you think things would change.

WOW.  thanks for the update

Sorry, but I had a little giggle that you neighbour was logged in with your credentials (through no fault of his own).

That little incident sounds like a Monty Python sketch.

Glad it wasn't me, and you got it sorted.

Speeds,  Yeah, I hear yah. How far from the exchange are you?

I'm doing VPN to head office at around 17Mb on ADSL 2, and it's stable, but I'm waiting for the NBN (I'll be connected before Christmas according to what I've been told)

Roll on the NBN, or whatever replaces it.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now