Highlighted
Unorthodox
Level 2: Rookie

ASSC-1 Not working on my Bigpond connection

Answered

Hi guys,

Is anybody else having issues accessing the ASSC-1 link between Perth and Singapore? My Singapore traffic is currently getting routed through Sydney instead of the usual route via ASSC-1, I wonder if this is an issue with my connection or the link itself or if it's with Telstra's routing tables.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Unorthodox
Accepted Solution

Re: ASSC-1 Not working on my Bigpond connection

It appears this issue is not with ASSC-1 as that project is not yet complete, I got my wires crossed.

For anybody that is interested this issue lies with SEA-ME-WE3.

There is a cable cut approx 1100km off Perth. More information can be found here :

http://www.iinet.net.au/status/fault.php?id=2295154

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman

My Singapore traffic is currently getting routed through Sydney instead of the usual route via ASSC-1, I wonder if this is an issue with my connection or the link itself or if it's with Telstra's routing tables.

Isn't that the whole point of the Internet, that packets can be routed from source to destination across the densely and redundantly inter-connected nodes of the vast data network, without the end-user having to be concerned about or having any control over how the traffic is routed?

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Unorthodox

Yes, you're correct however the reason i ask is because of the latency difference of about 150ms for me by taking a route across australia unneccessarily, I was asking if anybody else was having the same expierence or if it's a fault on my end.

Level 22: Superhuman

Unorthodox wrote:

… or if it's a fault on my end.

And my point is that choosing a route with higher latency is not a fault condition (or problem, or routing issue), on your end or on Telstra's part, because choosing/securing the shortest path (or path with lowest latency) is not part and parcel of how the Internet works. If your data is successfully routed to the destination, then everything is working.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Unorthodox
Accepted Solution

It appears this issue is not with ASSC-1 as that project is not yet complete, I got my wires crossed.

For anybody that is interested this issue lies with SEA-ME-WE3.

There is a cable cut approx 1100km off Perth. More information can be found here :

http://www.iinet.net.au/status/fault.php?id=2295154

Thanks

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Lol, its not an issue unless you pay for managed services which include SLAs for latency Smiley Happy

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now