CrowdSupport®
Kaypenn
Level 2: Rookie

Above ground cable - cause for lack of link/dsl connection? Mobile backup throttled

So my previous post was about wanting my above ground cable being put underground. Now I have a different probably very related issue of having no dsl/Link. 

It's been almost two weeks of being connected purely through the mobile backup.. today we find that BAM our speeds are so slow I cannot even get anything out of my telstra tv. Even opening up a webpage takes forever to load - if at all. Lo and behold - they've throttled our speeds for being on mobile backup too long. But we have NO CHOICE but to be on mobile as there is NO CONNECTION to the ADSL service we have paid for. 

Not only that.. after getting off the phone with the support officer I'm told it's ok the speeds will be back up in no more than 4 hours... Ok.. But ALSO that I will be throttled again once we've used 10gb of data. So essentially I've signed up for unlimited ADSL but am receiving prepaid services. So when I hit 10gb il have to call them up and get them to "top up" our data. How is this even allowed? I'm not using the mobile network for fun. I'm not choosing to. Why can they not just take away limitation on my account until they have resolved my ADSL issue? 

I will add pics of my lead in cable that is Sat above ground - could the quality of this cable be the reason I have no link?

Keep in mind prior to this I was still able to access the ADSL internet. And the cables - to the best of my knowledge - has not been damaged further than what they had been. received_329216534501038.jpeg20180811_075539.jpg20180811_075546.jpgreceived_479469695871265.jpeg

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Above ground cable - cause for lack of link/dsl connection? Mobile backup throttled

Well that tells a story. Just reread your original post and it now makes a lot more sense.

The solution comes in a couple of parts (and you may not like part of it, but this is what you need to do).
You need to get a new underground conduit run from your house to the boundary of your property. If you can excavate the orginal and lay the new one alongside it then it will make life easier. Run a leader wire through it as you go so that the new cable can be pulled through. This part is your responsibility to get done.
Then you need to organise Telstra to replace the existing cable with a new one, running through the new conduit.
In the meantime, yes, you will need to ring up each time your service gets throttled and get them to submit a webform to get it restored.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Kaypenn
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Above ground cable - cause for lack of link/dsl connection? Mobile backup throttled

Thanks for the reply!
I am more than happy to get the conduit in place undergound, I just need Telstra to commit to replacing it. I am expecting a call from a level 2 Tech today (still have not received anything yet) to try and get a technician out to even look at the cable.
Is there a direct way of requesting a technician to come put in the cable once I have trenched out and put in place the conduit?

I am confused as to what will actually happen, as I was previously told NBN would be available in the coming months (nov /oct) so would this delay someone replacing it?? as it's in limbo as to who will fix it NBN or Telstra?

If the NBN rollout preparations have progressed to the "Cease Sale" stage, then it's going to be very difficult to get it reconnected. If not, then Telstra will do the reconnection. As it's technically a "repair" that they should have done years ago, I would be arguing that they should do it anyway (if allowed - NBN Co own the infrastructure once the Cease Sale comes in to effect) .

Either way, assuming that you are going to be getting either FTTN or FTTC with the NBN, that conduit needs to be placed so that the cable can be relaid to the pit.

There is no direct contact for the Level 2 Techs. I would be trying to organize it through faults (132203) rather than through any other group.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now