CrowdSupport®
guy10
Level 2: Rookie

Access point to extend wifi

Answered

Cannot get any wifi upstairs towards the front of my house (gateway is unavoidably WAY downstairs). Am trying to install an access point (using a cheap Winstar N300 device). I can setup the “second” wifi network with great coverage upstairs, but it will lose internet connection soon after. In theory this should be ok - is Telstra blocking the “second” network (because only one is allowed)? Should the wifi networks be the same name? Am I just missing something obvious?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
eAJ2015
Level 8: Inspector
Accepted Solution

Re: Access point to extend wifi

Have you tried :

Router/gateway - powerline - powerboard (non surge protected) - powerline - AP  to check it isn't an issue with the powerline component?

I did find powerline devices a bit temperamental when i had a similar setup. you might want to also consider some of the wireless mesh based devices like netgear orbi or google wifi. they aren't cheap but i have been very happy with the orbi devices.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 25: The Singularity

It is not being blocked by Telstra.

The problem with this sort of setup is that the wireless repeater needs quite a strong connection to the modem to work properly. It could just be that the signal strength at the repeater is not strong enough and it is dropping the connection.

You might need a better quality dual band repeater to maintain the connection.

Also, if you can set the repeater up in Access Point mode, this makes life easier for you as it will use the same network name and your devices will just choose the strongest signal.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
guy10
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks Jupiter. I am using a power line adapter with Ethernet connected to Gateway and other end in the bedroom. Ethernet goes into the Winstar, then it creates wifi network upstairs. So it is setup as an access point (not repeater), and strength is excellent (via the lan). The network name is different. Could it be an ip addressing problem?

It is possible that it could be an IP address issue.

Try setting a device with a fixed IP address and see how that behaves (I do that at home - I have defined ranges for types of devices - makes it easier to track down the device I'm looking for - Routers all end in the 240-254 range, storage in the 140-160 range, phones in the 1 to 20 range, etc).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
eAJ2015
Level 8: Inspector
Accepted Solution

Have you tried :

Router/gateway - powerline - powerboard (non surge protected) - powerline - AP  to check it isn't an issue with the powerline component?

I did find powerline devices a bit temperamental when i had a similar setup. you might want to also consider some of the wireless mesh based devices like netgear orbi or google wifi. they aren't cheap but i have been very happy with the orbi devices.

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

For best results the access point should have the same SSID and password as the Telstra Gateway but use a different Wi-Fi channel. As you move about a house a device should then connect to either the access point or Telstra Gateway depending on which has the strongest signal.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now