CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Casperino89
Level 2: Rookie

Adsl capacity relief upgrade

Answered
At the moment I can't get Adsl because my line is on a pair gain system and there are no free ports in my RIM, according to the Telstra wholesale reports my exchange, Tarro, is due for a capacity relief upgrade in July, does anyone know if this upgrade will allow me to get Adsl? Or will it just allow them to build more RIMs? Nobody at Telstra had been able to give me any info.

Cheers, guys.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Adsl capacity relief upgrade

Hi Casperino89,

You are probably familiar with the following link: http://telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm

There are two types of capacity upgrades, CAN and Exchange. 

ADSL capacity increases generally involve additional CAN ADSL ports and/or additional CAN cable pairs to support access to ADSL ports.
Telstra reserves the right to adjust the forecast DSLAM Relief Dates without notice.

I can see that the CAN upgrade for Tarro was completed in March this year and was for DA063, DA070.

Exchange capacity increases are for additional ADSL ports which will be made available for use at exchange sites. There was an upgrade done in September 2013 and there is another planned one in July 2014.

As for how this impacts your service: Given the information you received from adsl2exchanges.com.au, the CAN capacity increase is not likely to benefit you. I can't guarantee how accurate the information provided from that 3rd party website is. 

As the Exchange upgrade applies to the whole exchange, it is possible that this will benefit you, but we will only be able to confirm this once the upgrade has been completed.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Casperino89, 

This will provide additional ports. 

However, you would need to make sure you are looking at the correct report, so in your case the CAN report if you are on a rim, rather than the Exchange report. And ensuring that you know the correct Distribution Area as well, as you'll only be affected by these increases if the upgrade is happening to equipment that provides/ will provide your connection.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Casperino89

Thanks for your response.
So this exchange capacity upgrade will only affect those homes not connected to a RIM? Will it potentially allow telstra to upgrade its infrastructure in the DA's with no free RIM ports aswell? Or are they not looking at these upgrades?
Going by http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au and typing in my phone number it seems like the infrastructure in my DA, TARR-DA056 I'm assuming, is pretty average, am I just going to have to suck it up, move on and play the weekly free port lottery, or is there another channel I can go through to try and get a result?

I appreciate all the info you've given me so far,
Cheers

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Casperin089, 

I'm sorry we couldn't get to this today.  We will have a look at it and get back to you about this tomorrow.

-BenD

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Casperino89,

You are probably familiar with the following link: http://telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm

There are two types of capacity upgrades, CAN and Exchange. 

ADSL capacity increases generally involve additional CAN ADSL ports and/or additional CAN cable pairs to support access to ADSL ports.
Telstra reserves the right to adjust the forecast DSLAM Relief Dates without notice.

I can see that the CAN upgrade for Tarro was completed in March this year and was for DA063, DA070.

Exchange capacity increases are for additional ADSL ports which will be made available for use at exchange sites. There was an upgrade done in September 2013 and there is another planned one in July 2014.

As for how this impacts your service: Given the information you received from adsl2exchanges.com.au, the CAN capacity increase is not likely to benefit you. I can't guarantee how accurate the information provided from that 3rd party website is. 

As the Exchange upgrade applies to the whole exchange, it is possible that this will benefit you, but we will only be able to confirm this once the upgrade has been completed.

- Shelly

Casperino89

Hey Shelly,

Thanks for the info. I was a little disheartened to see my DA is presently not on the list for an upcoming upgrade, but i understand its a massive job trying to maintain infrastructure on this scale.

I'll just wait and see what happens with the exchange upgrade in July and try my luck then lol.

Thanks again, you've been the most help so far lol.

Lucas

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now