OzPom
Level 2: Rookie

Advice needed! WiFI drop out when working from home

Hey all!

I often work from home, and on an almost daily basis the wifi connection seems to drop out. As such, I lose connection to my work network and if I'm on a video call (often the case with remote working) it will cut out and it will take a few minutes of waiting, or even a reset of the modem to get things up and running again.

I have the Telstra smart modem which I assumed would address these issues, or have I misunderstood how the mobile back up works?

Is there anything I can do about this myself before going through Telstra tech support?

Cheers, OzPom! 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Advice needed! WiFI drop out when working from home

There is nothing you can do apart from checking everything is plugged in correctly. You will have to contact Telstra support  The 4 G backup takes 4 minutes to activate so is no good if you have intermittent fault.

Level 22: Superhuman

There are 2 (almost) identical Gen 2 smart modems.  

They are Technicolor and Arcadyne.   In practice, they operate slightly differently. If it is to be replaced to address your issue, try to get the different brand.

You will see the maker near the serial number on the modem and box label.

Physically they look identical except the Technicolor has 3 rows of air vents on each side just below the lid and just above the base.

They are meant to be identical, but in practice, they each have slightly different habits.

In general, the Technicolor is less buggy, so if you are being sent a replacement, try for the Technicolor, but I think Telstra's system may not allow a choice.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
OzPom

Thanks cf4! Will give them a call next time it happens. More often than not the old "Switch it off and on again" prevails, but that doesn't change anything long term

Highlighted
OzPom

Thanks! Next time I speak to the support team i'll see what the go is with choosing modem model if it needs to be replaced.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now