FTTC_User
Level 1: Cadet

After nbn connection speed did not change

I am posting this to help others with similar issues when switching to nbn.

I experienced the following issues after switching to nbn FTTC. Both issues are now resolved.

1. My houses copper connection was initially connected on the wrong DPU port. In this case you will notice that the nbn FTTC modem's reverse power and WAN will keep blinking with a barely noticeable clicking sound. Before wasting too much time, call up your provider and get them to organise an nbn technician to come around.

2. After switching to nbn, I noticed that the speed of my connection was almost exactly the same as before. But when I connected a laptop directly on the modem the speed increased to the FTTC promised speed tier. Eventually I noticed that the issue was due to a setting in my Netgear Hawk wireless router. I had enabled QoS with auto speed detection and the router had cached a previously detected speed. After running the speed detection again the issue was gone.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Support Team
Support Team

Re: After nbn connection speed did not change

Hi @FTTC_User,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a valuable contribution to the CrowdSupport community, it's much appreciated. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now