CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Jezza23
Level 2: Rookie

All lights are green - NO INTERNET - No-one knows whats going on!

The issue we are experiencing is that all lights are green on our modem, and all of the lights on our NBN box appear to be fine - but we have NO INTERNET.

We previously had this issue close to 6 weeks ago where our internet all of a sudden turned itself off, and we were without internet for a week. After numerous calls to Telstra support, having an NBN technician come around, do all of the Telstra problem testing possible, every phone call we made was "escalated to a high department and we will expect a call back". Yep you can guess, never got any calls back. But our internet magically started working again (this is after a week without having it).

Now we are having the same problem again, where everything appears to be fine but we have absolutely no internet and no-one knows what is going on. Let me explain...

The Telstra Modem

All lights are green like they normally are (wireless, wan, internet, eco). Except we notice that the internet and eco light go red for about 30 seconds every 5 minutes.

The NBN Box

Everything here appears to be working fine, the power light is green, optical light is flashing green and Uni-D1 light is amber. We have also had a technician come around and say that everything appears to be fine, he has a connection - except there is no internet.

What I have tried to resolve this

- I have done ALL of your tests on the phone when calling up Telstra support (useless) numerous times

- I have connected a brand new mac and windows PC directly to the NBN box with ethernet cables (no connection).

- I have tried using Googles public DNS as opposed to Telstra's on Wifi and also with a direct connection to the NBN box

- I have left the NBN box unplugged numerous times for 20+ minutes to try and reset whatever (no luck)

- I have unplugged the Telstra modem numerous times for 20+ minutes to try and reset whatever (no luck)

- I have unplugged the Telstra modem long enough to be given a new IP address (still no luck)

- I have reset the Telstra modem numerous times (no luck)

- I have had an NBN technician come around and tell me that he has a connection and everything is fine

- I have spent god dame hours on the phone with Telstra technicians that all do the same problem testing (don't they keep logs of having already tried these things? what a waste of time!)

- I have had Telstra technicians "escalate the issue to a higher department" and guess what, I either never get a call back or this is simply not resolved.

- I have had Telstra technicians try and send me new modems multiple times (and charge me for them).. when the modem is not the issue as I have tried with 3 different modems and have also isolated the modem by correctly directly to the NBN box with an ethernet adapter.

I don't know what to do from here

I work from home, and it is so dame frustrating to have this issue as we depend on the internet, unforunately I need to connect via hotspot and use my phone plan data which is costing me a fortune (no compensation), and cannot watch video or do anything that requires bandwidth other than read webpages (otherwise it will chew my data).

I feel like I have tried everything, and to call up your hopeless phone support and spend another hour of my time for no resolution is out of the question.

The only other solution I can think off is to cancel with Telstra, seeing as noone knows whats going on and we are paying for a service which we do not have.

This is my last resort making a sad forum post in the hopes that something magically happens. (And also to publicly winge about how frustrating this in).

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: All lights are green - NO INTERNET - No-one knows whats going on!

Does the phone still work? If you unplug the Gateway from the UNI-D1 does the optical light still flash? It should only flash when data is being transmitted therefore it should stop flashing when gateway disconnected.

Jezza23

Thanks for the reply, when I turn the modem off by the wall or unplug it from the UNI-D1 port, then the UNI-D1 light goes out.

Jezza23

Oh also to add onto that we don't use a home phone, only the internet connection.

I can say that I have always been happy with the Internet service Telstra has provided, but we literally have no internet at the moment (randomly went out) and no-one knows how to fix it.

Could you open a command prompt on PC connected to the Gateway and run the following command

tracert Telstra.com

Post the results should look something like this.

Tracert.JPG

Jezza23

Thanks for the response. Magically the internet has started working again this morning, I do not know what happened - but it's on.

Thankfully this time it has only been down for 2-3 days as opposed to last time was near a week. I hope that this does not happen again.

I did run the tracert command and is the response I got (internet is currently working):

img.png

Is IPv4 turned off on the Network adapter off the PC? That might be causing the problem.

Jezza23

IPv4 is not turned off, also when this issue comes about it effects all devices in our household (laptops, phones, etc). Has been good the last few days so hoping it does not come about again.

Level 19: Deputy Director
Level 19: Deputy Director

From what you have said, it seems that you have an ADSL / VDSL type connection, possibly with a TG797nv3. 

The intermittent red lights on ECO or internet could mean a flaky connection. I have been experiencing flaky internet with my ADSL2 connection for several weeks now.  Repeated page timeouts with both ADSL 2 ethernet and wifi - Telstra Air. I've put it down to the heavy rains / flooding in Qld now putting a strain on the whole network as copper cabling is damaged / flooded, even if you don't have a flooded pit near you. 

Another possibility is if NBN are replacing copper cables in the process of setting up NBN or accidentally dislodging some of them.

outages.telstra.com

https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn-about-the-nbn/rollout-map.html 

may  help. 

Just to clarify what modems have Telstra / NBN sent you?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now