CrowdSupport®
YannickD
Level 1: Cadet

Android not connecting to Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Trying to connect an Android One device (XIAOMI MI A3) to my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2, it saved the details but doesn't try to obtained an IP address. The device can connect to other mobile hotspot or wifi. The SSID and password are correct. Any idea? Thanks, Yannick

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Android not connecting to Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

You could try disabling band steering in the 2.4 GHz WiFi settings in the modem. This will result in a separate SSID for the 5 GHz band with -5G being added to the end of the SSID.

To disable band steering open a WEB browser on a device connected to modem and goto http://192.168.0.1 (Password is Telstra), goto WiFi Settings. On the 2.4 GHz settings swcroll down till you find band steering remove tick and save settings.

YannickD
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks mate, will try later.

80LC
Level 2: Rookie

Hi, I'm new on the forum so go easy.

FYI, I have the SAME problem as YannickD

* NEW Telstra Smart Modem 2 (Technicolor DJA0230TLS)

* 12 other devices can attach to the modem

* Devices can disconnected / forget settings / re-connect to the modem

* NEW Xioami Mi A3 will not connect!  It will only save the settings

* All Xiaomi device resets tried

*  Testra modem band steering disabled already so this obviously did not help

* To top it off, the Xiaomi phone WILL connect to another Wi-Fi network (at a Telstra retailer)

*** Seems to be Xaiomi / Android Pie) / Telstra smart modem compatibility issue???

I can't think of anything else you could try. You could send a send a PM to @YannickD, he might have a solution.

80LC

FYI:

* The Wi-Fi Alliance certifies Technicolor DJA0231 for ALL WPA2 protocols

* The Wi-Fi Alliance certifies Xiaomi Mi A3 for a subset of the WPA2 protocols

Other online forums suggest:

* Link between Wi-Fi issues on Android 9 Pie and Snapdragon SoC.

* WPA2-PSK (AES) not working - change to WPA2-PSK (TKIP).  Not an option on the Technicolor DJA0231.

Level 15: Secret Agent Mkrtich
Level 15: Secret Agent

Does the Technicolor selection for security show dual support for WPA / WPA2 PSK in the third choice shown in the drop down box menu for mixed clients like the Arcadyan version? If so, have you tried that?

TKIP is a superseded standard and generally not be used by modern devices due to its inherently weaker security and can be associated with just the WPA term,  the first drop down choice. Maybe that is why the Telstra modem defaults to the second choice of WPA2 PSK. Xiaomi may be restricted from AES due its modified version of Android or to policies in place in their country of origin.

80LC

Yes tried WPA+WPA2 PSK - worked but won't work on WPA2.  WPA+WPA2 opens up the possibility of devices connecting using only WPA.  I agree about TKIP.  BTW, the Xiaomi Mi A3 is Android-One (not MIUI).

* Wi-Fi alliance requires WPA2 support for certification.

* The Wi-Fi alliance Certified the DJA0231 for ALL WPA2 types.

* Xiaomi Mi A3 is certified for: EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS/MSCHAPv2, PEAPv0/EAP-MSCHAPv2, PEAPv1/EAP-GTC, EAP-SIM, EAP-AKA, EAP-AKA Prime.

That should give the DJA0231 ample opportunity to use a type of WPA2 EAP with the Xiaomi.  12 other devices authenticate with the DJA0231 with WPA2 option selected.

It's like a game of Chess. All looks good, but some mutual exclusivity at play with uncertainty of cause. Xiaomi has two Wi-Fi Alliance Certificates issued on the 11th July 2019 for the Mi A3, WFA90834 under Phones which does WPA2 Personal and WPA2 Enterprise, and the other one is listed under Routers Category WFA90835 ( assume for Hotspot operation which provides WPA2 Personal only). I assume that Telstra will investigate the matter further for you as a reported fault.

My Apple devices only provide for linking by WPA or WPA2 etc, no joint category of WPA/WPA2, so I assume this applies to your other existing devices as well. Until the matter is resolved, a possible work around could be, is to link another, perhaps used, router which allows connection to the  Xiaomi MiA3, to the Telstra Gen 2 as an Access Point using a LAN cable. As a guide, do you know what Router the Telstra Shop was using - I assume you may have been connected as in Guest Mode or even to Telstra Air?

If you haven't done so to date, it may also pay to check if your Router has up to date firmware as well - I think 18.1.C.0384-950-RB was released late last month in case it by chance overcomes your current situation.

P.S. The Technicolor DJA0231 Wi-Fi Certificate shows support for all the additional 'WPA2-Enterprise, Personal' schemes you listed above and adds EAP-FAST to the list. I don't know enough about these schemes - whether they are relevant or apply to general home applications.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

After doing a check on the Xiaomi based forums globally, there is a general consensus that WPA2 does not work on the Mi A3. It will only work with WPA. Needs a firmware update from Xiaomi to fix it.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Jupiter - Yes, its difficult to tell where the underlying issue is with these matters. Maybe there is an Android glitch rather than a Xiaomi one per se as some people have made videos about how to fix the Authentication Issue in Android. This one covers 7 possible ways to address the matter, so it must occur regularly enough for people to make these videos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMvcVv9Sd9w 

YannickD and 80LC - have you seen this clip? 

I think Option 4 may be worth pursuing, manual configuration of IP address , if no go, then Option 2, rolling back to a previous DHCP version within the Phone, and to a lesser extent just for a clean up Option 3 Clear Data Cache.

Interestingly in the clip, the Authentication shown in this Android version, unlike my iPhone, displays a multi type security and appears to cover all bases WPA/WPA2/FT PSK - not sure what FT is?  Don't know if the Xiaomi Android allows the screens shown in the clip, but may be worth a look. 

80LC

Thanks Mkrtich,

My DJA0231 firmware is 18.1.c.0347-950-RC (not 18.1.C.0384-950-RB), but when I raised a fault on this modem last week I was told it is running the latest firmware!!

I have another modem being delivered soon.  I will check it's firmware revision then see if the WPA2 compatibility issue is a "fault" or a "feature".

Yes I have seen the other posts on this issue.  Suggestions of an underlying phone / Android / Snapdragon issue for Wi-Fi - not restricted to this model of Xiaomi, but only since Android 9.  (Don't mention the embargo!  Lets hope it's not a factor.)  Some users are rolling Android back to Oreo to fix issues.

Yes I even tried manual IP configuration too (without seeing the video).  The Xiaomi "secret codes" to access manufacturer options on this model is not known to me.  I have correspondence in the pipeline through vendor / distributor that may shed some light here if there is an operator fix.

80LC

Telstra sent replacement modem:

- Original: Technicolor DJA0231 firmware 18.1.c.0347-950-RC

- Replacement: Arcadian LH1000 firmware v0.07.05r

Retailer supplied replacement Xiaomi Mi A3:

- Both phones were updated with the Android Sept 05, 2019 security patch.

*** CANNOT connect either XIAOMI phone via Wi-Fi WPA2 to EITHER MODEM ***

I think I have tried everything.  Time to get another phone!

Support Team
Support Team

Hi 80LC,

I am sorry that this is still causing you trouble. I would suggest reaching out to our tech team via the following secure chat link  https://tel.st/93bfa

If they are of no help consider using our Platinum services, more on that here https://tel.st/zx25y

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit