Nathan_gamer
Level 1: Cadet

Anyway to make a Ethernet cable use 5ghz

So our old PC running windows 7 connects to the modem via a Ethernet cable,  it is he only way we can connect to the internet, our download speeds wirelessly are 40-60mb/s . When we do a speed test on the compouter using Ethernet we get between 4-8mb/s

I feel like it's the compouter that's letting us down with how much speed it can push in at one time,

Is there anyway to make the ethernet use 5ghz that would get us the speeds we should have ,and would putting 2 ethernet cables into the compouter both running to the modem a good idea or bad 

Is there any options in the PC or modem control that you use the IP to connect to, that  could help with the speeds

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Anyway to make a Ethernet cable use 5ghz

You could plug a WiFi USB adapter into one of the PC's USB ports or insert PCI express WiFi card into a PCI express slot on the PC so that the PC uses WiFi instead of Ethernet. But there is probably a cheaper way to increase the speed. Most modern PC's are capable of 1 Gbps using the Ethernet and even older and cheaper ones are capable of 100 Mbps. Suggest you try  Suggest you try the suggestions at link below. Expecially 3, 4 and 7

https://windowsreport.com/fix-slow-lan-speed-pc/

Mkrtich
Level 10: Junior Detective

Hi - this phenomenon has perplexed me over the past year as well. I have tried various internet sourced suggestions and have come away with the impression that this is a symptom of PC hardware that you are using and the Windows 10 Operating System itself - it doesn't appear on Apple Mac.

I came across this YouTube clip early this year and tried every suggestion bar the last, which involved changing the Group Policy on Broadband Reservation within Windows 10 - to remove the reservation that Windows 10 places on your Internet Bandwidth for the Operating System - 20% reserved as default - somewhat of a hidden feature. I don't know if it was resident in Windows 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqZsVND6KGU - How to Increase Internet Speeds on Windows 10

I didn't try the last suggestion in the clip, because in my situation, I can achieve wired Ethernet speeds of 30 Mbps from a HP Netbook Windows 10 Build 1903 vs over 100 Mbps on the Mini Mac Mojave OS and I am OK with that. With the HP, it's a speed decrease of 70%. The other factor is the hardware differences.

HP Netbook AMD-E450 Dual Core 1.65 Ghz  CPU, 2 Logical Processors, Integrated Radeon HD Graphics, 6 MB RAM, 7 year old. Its a budget PC originally purchased for under $400.

Apple Mini Mac Dual Core 2.8Ghz, Intel i5 Dual Core, 4 Logical Processors, 3 MB Cache, 8GB RAM, 5 years old. Original purchase around $1,200.

As you can see, the HP Netbook is not a heavy duty specification, severely outclassed by the Min Mac, so I would not expect it to operate at the Mini Mac speeds. Using HP Netbook at 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi on my trusty never failed 7 year old Telstra HFC Netgear Modem which only does 2.4Ghz , I achieve under 4 Mbps download and upload - so nearly an 85% drop over Ethernet.

A wired Ethernet connection will usually outgun a Wi-Fi connection to a home router, even at 100 Mbps full duplex; 1000 Mbps full duplex, even better. Wi-Fi speeds are radio signals and specified as half duplex, so that needs to be taken into consideration when comparing speeds in Wi-Fi statistics viewed in Network and Sharing Centre. 

I would expect that if you purchased a 5 Ghz Wi-Fi adapter, it may not overcome the obstacles of hardware architecture, system configuration in older PCs and the reservation Windows places on the Internet Link. 

@Mkrtich 

Unless the PC is very old (Over 15 years old) you should be able to get more than 4-8 Mbps  over the Ethernet port unless it is a cheap 10 Mbps Ethernet adapter.

My 7 seven year old Dell laptop has a top speed of 26 Mbps using built in 2.4 GHz WiFi. Using the 100 Mbps Ethernet adapter the speed increases to 98 Mbps. Using a Netgear AC 750 WiFi adapter connected to modem's 5GHz WiFi band speed increased to 300 Mbps. Speed was measured by downloading a file to the laptop from a USB drive attached to modem's USB port.

So unless PC hardware is very old it is worth while added a USB WiFi adapter.

Level 22: Superhuman

Have you tried another ethernet cable?

A fantastic wireless dongle I got at Officeworks is a D-Link  Model DWA-180 which I just checked is superseded by the AC 1200 Dual Band USB wireless adapter for $78.00

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Mkrtich

I agree with your comments, however I don't think that is what I was referring to in regards to Internet speed connection or where the potential bottleneck is. An internal LAN data network at 100 Mbps or a 1000 Mbps Ethernet service will always be faster than a Wi-Fi 2.4hz or 5 Ghz WAN network respectively. I think the original post was related to Internet speed , not internal data transmission on a home network. If 40-60 Mbps was experienced with Speedtest.net on external carrier service, it implies a 50 Mbps NBN service or a 100 Mbps pre NBN HFC service.

Given that both connectivity option configurations can never operate faster than the network service that they are connected to - in a ideal world, either 50 or 100 Mbps, I believe the problem lies elsewhere. My contention is that it's not the 100/1000 Ethernet Adapter or Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz 5Ghz Adapter that is resulting in bad performance - I suspect the bottleneck is our PC hardware and the Windows Operating system. 

PS: My humble HP Netbook has a 100/1000Mbps Ethernet Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller LAN connector linking to a 1000 Mbps port on the Netgear Router, operating at the same speed. 

I agree that if computer is very old the hardware could be causing the slow speed. But it would have to be a PC over 15 years old and even then it would only occur on a budget PC with low cost hardware. As a experiment I fired up my Pentium IV PC running Windows XP,made in 2003 and which haden't been used in years and connected it via Ethernet to my modem. A Internet speed test resulted in a download speed of 20 Mbps and upload speed of 12 Mbps on a FTTN connection with link speed of 40 Mbps down and 12 Mbps.

I have seen cases were due to miss configuration of the LAN adapter the speed was very low but after performing configurations suggest in the link in previous post the speed was dramatically increased. I have also so seen cases were manufactures internet management software actually throttled the connection. Once manufactures software was removed the slow speed issue was fixed.

Highlighted
Mkrtich

Thank you for the additional information which is helpful to know and I hope it assists @Nathan_gamer. I enjoy reading your posts and learn something new every time. I use Ookla's speedtest.net web browser for the Windows PC and Mini Mac and their App for the iPad and iPhone. Like your result, I have found invariably that, no matter what device I use, I get near to the rated link speed on the Upload test which leads me to suspect it is a small test file which is easy to process. 

Their Download results are an estimate based on various download files sent from their server, sorted, some discarded and then averaged. The Download test generally takes longer than the Upload test and I suspect in order to mimic general user Internet experience it contains either larger file sizes or more files than the Upload test. That is why I think the PC CPU and OS play a role in the outcome along with some of the article's suggestions and your comments.

Windows is a strange beast - sometimes things just don't work as expected. Last week, It took five attempts over two days to get the Build Ver 1903 to successfully download and install; after Auto Update failed, I finally used an alternative Windows 10 Update Assistant link on the Microsoft Web Page. We shouldn't have to waste 24 hours of our lives on such matters - suspect Microsoft servers are overwhelmed with the global demand load for this major Update.

Your Pentium IV does 50% of the link speed; unaware of which Pentium you have, but a Pentium IV 3.0 Ghz CPU is rated on par with my AMD-E450 1.65Ghz CPU, so I would expect it would provide the same speed test result on your network. I will experiment a bit further and repost any positive results. Cheers. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now