Highlighted
OZrevhead
Level 2: Rookie

Awful cable performance

Answered

I am a long time user of Bigpond cable (mainly due to no viable competition where I live) and we have been mostly very happy with our internet performance but recently it has gone downhill badly. If I speedtest it I get normal numbers but internet usage is noticeably slower (pages and images take much longer to load) but the biggest impact has been with online gaming. We have multiple online gamers in our house and everyone could game happily before, now our pings are terrible and very erratic. Australian servers jump between 10 and 1000 ms with 20-50% packet loss, forget overseas servers, we could play on them before but now pings can jump up to 2500ms and beyond.

I contacted support this week and described my issues, they said my area is having an outage and will have to wait until the outage is corrected before they can progress with the issue, I asked how can I be having an outage when I am online now? They said yes you are having an outage ... I checked myself and the system status showed no known issues ....

So, what do you all think can cause such issues and how do I fix it?

I am still using an old CG3100D modem, and I have a C6300BD still in the box, but the above mentioned support person told me I should be using the new smart gateway .... are they right?

Is Telstra sabotaging my cable to steer me onto NBN? Has NBN improved since the early days? I have never heard anything good about NBN and am very concerned with being forced off my cable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Awful cable performance

You're modem being old could be the issue. NBN own/are working on the cable infrastructure something they could be doing may have affected your ping. If you ping your modem does your ping fluctuate
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Accepted Solution

Id probably replace the modem and call cable tech support to get the mac address changed to your new modem
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Accepted Solution

NBN now own the ex Telstra HFC cable network.
NBN are actively working on the remaming cables in preparation for moving customers from Cable and ADSL across to NBN.
I wouldn't be spending any money on modems if chargeable at this stage.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Accepted Solution

You're modem being old could be the issue. NBN own/are working on the cable infrastructure something they could be doing may have affected your ping. If you ping your modem does your ping fluctuate

OZrevhead

I ran ping a few times and all results <1ms

Yeah could be, its woeful.

Smiley Sad
Accepted Solution

Id probably replace the modem and call cable tech support to get the mac address changed to your new modem

OZrevhead

Hi, I cant do this online as I wont have internet if I swap modems right?

Support told me to activate online after I swap modems ...

Smiley Happy
Accepted Solution

NBN now own the ex Telstra HFC cable network.
NBN are actively working on the remaming cables in preparation for moving customers from Cable and ADSL across to NBN.
I wouldn't be spending any money on modems if chargeable at this stage.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

When you swap the modem over and try and good to Google, it should take you to a site like bigpond.register/cable.do when you need to put in your primary bigpond email address and password.

If this fails or you dont know the password id reconmend calling the cable tech support team.

OZrevhead

I already have the new modem to try, I just didnt want to jump into swapping (since I cant swap back to the old one).

Smiley Happy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now