CrowdSupport®
EJS
Level 1: Cadet

BP Ultimate Cable packet loss. NSW.

Hi all,

I am posting this here at Telstra Crowdsupport and also at Whirpool for posterity. Below are details of the issue I am having and the steps taken by Telstra tech support to resolve it. I will continue to update this thread as progress is made.

Since about midday yesterday (11/7/12) i've been having constant packet loss on my cable internet. I've done all the normal/basic tests:

1) Only testing with direct wired connection to the modem

2) This installation is onl ~2 months old, so I have the newest Netgear cable modem

3) Using bridged mode (no NAT) so the PC I plug in to the modem gets a public IP via DHCP

4) Ive tested using multiple cables and types (cross over, straight through, UTP, STP)

5) Ive tested using multiple PC's and OS's (I have readily on hand Win7, XP, CentOS and Ubuntu machines)

6) Reset the modem several times

7) Checked cables/connections several times

8) Rebooted PCs several times

9) Wire stats looks fine, see pic below.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2lsxn4k.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2d6rt7a.jpg

Symptoms are:

1) Anywhere between 10% - 20% packet loss to anywhere

2) This is seen even to the gateway advertised by DHCP (60.225.112.1/20), so the issue is local

Wireshark captures show when the hiccups occur followed by retransmissions. Depending on the protocol the connection either drops (ie. RDP) or it survived (ie. small HTTP). I have the captures, but I think its shown easier using pings. First ping is to Googles public DNS (8.8.8.8) and the second ping is to the local gateway (one layer 3 hop away from me).

http://i47.tinypic.com/jsy4if.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2gsiww3.jpg

Further Work done:

Im convinced at this point it is a Telstra issue, so:

1) I called Telstra support

2) After 5 minutes of basic troubleshooting the gentleman (his name was RJ) booked a Telstra service tech to come and have a look the next morning

NOTE : I called Tech Support at ~3:30pm. The call took less than 10 minutes and I had a tech booked to be on site at ~9am the next morning. I was very, VERY pleasantly surprised at how quickly RJ was able to help me and book in a tech for me. I am a new Telstra customer and have heard many horror stories. I am glad to see that my first experience with tech support was great! Thanks!

3) So the tech was here this morning on time. He was nice and explained to me that he changes the isolator on the telegraph pole across the road. He also changed the isolator on my property (in the box fixed to the outside of the house)

4) He checked the wire stats all seemed to be OK

5) Problem is still occurring! So he made a note to escalate this issue. He told me the next step is usually a network tech comes out on side and checks the equipment inside the amplifier (he showed me the box that is hanging off the cable on the telegraph pole on my street). He also mentioned that he isnt authorised to do those changes and a different tech will be in touch with me for this.

And this is where we are at the moment. I am still getting packet loss and most of the work I do on the internet is either very slow or dropping out. My RDP sessions are useless and this is what I need to do my work (I work from home often), so im reduced to tethering my mobile phone for internet. I just hope this issue is fixed before I go over my data limit on my mobile phone!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
yottie

Re: BP Ultimate Cable packet loss. NSW.

I have the same problem with the same modem except that it's far worse than EJS's issue.  I'm consistently getting 54% packet loss.  Speeds are fine.  I've been through all the steps that EJS has endured with the same unsatisfacory result.  The technician has been, spent half the day, changed the modems three times but whatever the packet loss issue stubbornly persists.  He said he'd escalate the issue but that was a month ago or more and still the issue persists and remains unsolved.  Nobody has been near me since.  It means that services such as IPTV, VoIP etc. barely work with consistent drop outs and/or no connection at all.

Not at all happy: this is supposed to be a premium service and my old ADSL service, although only about 10-15% of my present speeds was, in fact, faster and more reliable!

yottie

Now the whole system has crashed!

yottie

Fixed ... YaY!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi EJS,

Thanks for sharing your concerns in relation the packet loss issues you've been having with your BigPond Ultimate Cable broadband service and I'm sorry for all the times spent getting contacting us to resolve this.

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport Smiley Happy Please stick around and offer any expertise you may have in the range of topics we have here in our Community.

I'm really sorry for the late response EJS. Now, if this issue is still outstanding since your post, I'd like to offer my assistance to you, just send me a private message here, with a link to this thread, so I can advise you of next steps. Thank you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I am having the same problem in Sydney, this seems to be a widespread problem - there are also a number of posts about it on Whirlpool.

Why is it impossible to get bigpond to acknowledge there is a problem.

All I've seen is responses from Telstra saying - "no problems reported - we will send out a tech"??

What does it take to get Telstra to acknowledge that they have a SERIOUS WIDESPREAD problem with packet loss on their cable ultimate system in at least Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne???

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1970698

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1969711

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1954069

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1963705

etc etc

Level 23: Superhero

Been having the same issualmost of the day here on the Gold Coast. Have to access this site from my iPad on Vodafone 3G because no Telstra site loads via my Bigpond cable connection.

I question the point of the service status page when it tells me there are no issues in my area.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Any update on this from Telstra? I see they have replied on Whirlpool saying the problem in QLD was fixed early this morning my a change to the infrastructure. My connection in Sydney was still faulty this morning, but I notice now it seems to be working fine and I haven't made any changes my end. I think Telstra owe us an explanation as to what went wrong and why it was almost impossible to get any acknowlegement of the problem from the online chat support teams. Also why is it that Telstra didn't know of the problem? Surely they are monitoring their systems - this sort of widespread outage SHOULD have been causing RED FLAGS to be raised at the highest support levels.
anilg

I'd like to know how you got on EJS. I've just joined Bigpond Liberty Elite under the expectation that the speed and stability would be better than ADSL.

I find that I regularly lose contact (100% packet loss) with the default gateway and the DNS servers. Also even downloads from Bigond servers tail off to nothing half way through.

I've accepted a technician visit because it seems I need to give some commitment to the process but I would say symptoms look like Telstra is overusing their bandwidth. How can the site work up to 7mbs most of the time, and then drop to absolute zero at others?

I must say I'm disappointed. I really hope that Telstra can resolve this because this does not meet the advertised service. Dreams about 30 mbps solid service are a long way away.

anilg

Sep 24 22:44 $ ping 101.164.0.1
PING 101.164.0.1 (101.164.0.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 101.164.0.1: icmp_seq=14 ttl=254 time=47.798 ms
^C
--- 101.164.0.1 ping statistics ---
33 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 97.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 47.798/47.798/47.798/0.000 ms

Sep 24 22:46 $ ping 61.9.194.49
PING 61.9.194.49 (61.9.194.49): 56 data bytes
^C
--- 61.9.194.49 ping statistics ---
12 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

Sep 24 22:47 $ ping 61.9.194.49
^C
7 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

Sep 24 22:48 $ ping 61.9.194.49
^C
4 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

Sep 24 22:48 $ ping 101.164.0.1
PING 101.164.0.1 (101.164.0.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 101.164.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=254 time=9.138 ms
64 bytes from 101.164.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=254 time=7.939 ms
64 bytes from 101.164.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=254 time=7.998 ms
64 bytes from 101.164.0.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=254 time=8.174 ms
64 bytes from 101.164.0.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=254 time=9.737 ms
64 bytes from 101.164.0.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=254 time=7.920 ms
64 bytes from 101.164.0.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=254 time=8.356 ms
^C
--- 101.164.0.1 ping statistics ---
7 packets transmitted, 7 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 7.920/8.466/9.737/0.650 ms

Notice packet loss is at first partial (97% when I caught it) then total (100%) then comes back on line.

This IP address is my default gateway.

How can I get internet if I don't even see the default gateway?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now