Highlighted
Clutch
Level 1: Cadet

BYO Cable Modem

Answered

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm looking to replace my cable modem/router to one not provided by Telstra as the provided ones are having too many issues scaling with my growing network (performance/stability issues). I have recieved mixed responses from Telstra employees about exchanging modems. I will be using a DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola Surfboard 6141 as a modem and an ASUS AC67U as a router. This post is just to confirm that I am able to change modems and still use Telstra's Ultimate Cable service but I accept that they will not be able to be patched by Telstra. I'll be keeping my old modem around to assist Telstra in diagnosing my network if needed however I'm confident I will not be having issues as the only times I have had to call customer support was regarding the cable lines outside of my house and not the hardware itself.

TL;DR: BYO Cable Modem. Can I still use Telstra service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: BYO Cable Modem

It is possible that if you set the MAC address you can use your own modem but my understanding is that if it doesn't work and you have problems with it that there is no support for non-supported devices...

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 23: Superhero

I'm pretty sure you'll be told no because your device won't be on the list of authenticated devices.

However doesn't hurt to ask.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Clutch

Thanks for your reply. The issue is that I get different answers depending on who I ask. I'm capable of installing the hardware and submitting the HFC (Cable Modem) MAC if that is whats required of me, I just don't understand why it would pose an issue. I'll ring Telstra again soon but the technician that came to my house recently said yes, and the Telstra support operator I spoke with before that said that "It wasn't advisable" so I just want to make it 100% certain before I drop $100 on a modem and $250 on a router.

Accepted Solution

It is possible that if you set the MAC address you can use your own modem but my understanding is that if it doesn't work and you have problems with it that there is no support for non-supported devices...

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 21: Augmented

The answer is most certianly no, if they see you are using a non-bigpond supplied modem, they might blacklist your mac address so you can't connect it to the internet.

I would be very wary to try your own modem for cable

Clutch

If this is indeed the case I will have to switch providers. I cannot work with my current router and modem that collapses under my network and lacks support for my VPN.
StupidScrnName

You can put the modem into dumb mode and have your own router.

The Netgear CG3100 "thing" I have is a terrible device. I turn off NAT, and the wireless, and put a few layers of black electrical tape over the lights, and I don't hear a peep from it (unless the Telstra network goes down).

mmaidana

Just as per conversation with a Rep

"I understand that you want to check the compatible modems. No worries, I'll be more than happy to assist you. For Cable Broadband service, BYO modems will not work, only Telstra supplied modems as the MAC address of the modem needs to be registered first in the system and associate to your account to make it work"

Hope this helps

Shep03

I know it's been agessss since you posted. But, what I do is turn NAT off on the Telstra supplied router. Then Connect a Cisco 1841 that picks up the IP address from Telstra's DHCP server. All of my NAT, IP access lists, DHCP and VPN are done on the 1841.

But, it's super gay that they don't allow BYOD. The thing that pissed me off the most was that I can't change the DNS server on the Telstra Netgear. Telstra DNS is mediocre at best. 

If you couldn't be bothered fighting for your right to use your own device, I would suggest just using it as a bridge. Then all of your routing decisions will be made by the router of your choosing and the Telstra supplied device wont have to do anything strenuous. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now