Highlighted
forkliftdrew
Level 3: Gumshoe

BigPond Cable Outage Brisbane Northside

Hi, our BigPond Cable Service has been out since the rain hit last night. Not uncommon with wet weather, we have no internet service, no “blue led” illuminated on the front of the CH3100D modem. Yes I’ve tried re-booting.

Why is Telstra BigPond Cable consistently impacted by wet weather in Mitchelton 4053? It’s been like this in two houses in adjacent streets for the last 5 years.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
V001
Level 2: Rookie

Re: BigPond Cable Outage Brisbane Northside

Same area and same problem. Contacted Telstra technical support and they handed me off to level 2 support on 1800 117 969. However they only operate during business hours, so I'll have to wait to Monday to book a technician. Not very happy about the situation at all. When previously requiring a technician to come out. I'd simply book one through the technical support number but for some reason that's changed now.

Very unhappy with 24x7 chat and technical support. They simply run through the same check list given to you on https://www.telstra.com.au/my-account/troubleshooting-tool

Word for word the exact same thing was said to me in 24x7 chat and on the phone.

There was a significant lightning strike in the Mitchelton area around midnight. Pretty sure the power spike destroyed my Ethernet port on my motherboard. Device is failing to start so I think its cooked. I've been power cycling the router all day and nothing. Wan light is flashing no connection at all. The service status page doesn't even register a fault in our area. People one street over have internet but not us. Pretty sure the box outside is fried, along with my Ethernet port.

V001
Level 2: Rookie

Same area, same problem. Talked with 24x7 chat and technical support both absolutely useless. Apparently they can't book a technician, like they use to. I have to call level 2 support or whatever on 1800 117 969 on MONDAY because they only operate during business hours.

All the 24x7 chat 'agent' did was run through the troubleshooting check list. Which I could have easily done myself through the troubleshooting page (and I did). The status page doesn't even show an outage in the 4053 area.

There was a significant lightning strike in the Mitchelton area around midnight. Pretty sure that's fried the connection box along with my Ethernet port on my PC. People 1 street over have internet and the technical support operator said there was no line fault. Guess I will have to wait until MONDAY.
forkliftdrew

I’ve got a feeling we live in the same street.
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It's going to have to get elevated to NBN Co as the HFC network is now owned and operated by them.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
forkliftdrew

Wonderful, NBN recently spent three days installing fibre to the front wall of the house next door. It was the only house that received it in the street. As a civil engineer who once installed utility services as a day job, it defies logic that they’d not roll it out in full, street by street, instead of hit 1, miss 500 houses.

Can’t wait for the rigmarole we’re in for with this network outage. Takes me back to the 2 week saga when we transferred our BP cable from the house we rented, to the house we bought, which were 50m apart. Took two weeks to discover our transfer had “become stuck in provisioning”. We’d been assured taking the cable modem from house A to B would be seamless... yeah right.

Then there was the secondary account they created without our knowledge that saw us double direct debited for over a year.

I can’t wait to ringing Telstra about an HFC network issue that NBN Co. is responsible to rectify. (I’m facepalming)
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Its most likely that the one house getting fibre would have paid for it, otherwise they would be getting HFC like everyone else. NBN co only install fibre in new estates, existing areas with fibre or those who pay to change to fibre. Would be alot cheaper for you to pay to go to fibre now as your neighbor has born most of the cost.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

forkliftdrew

Rang BigPond’s 133 number this morning (well wife did in frustration and then handed her phone to me). We went through all the painful stuff, reboot, unplug HFC cable from the wall (they actually asked me try it in another room - yeah umm we only have one cable modem point). In fairness Telstra did arrive at the conclusion it was a Network fault fairly quickly and i understand they have to rule you out as a pleb before booking an appointment.

Anyway, we’ve got a Technican appointment for Tuesday between 1-5pm. They do expect us to be home though. I guess this is the best that can be expected. They gave my wife 10GB of additional mobile data to be applied within 2-4 hours which was nice with two young kids to keep entertained. I rode my bike around the streets in the rain yesterday (wasn’t raining when i departed grr) and inspected all the HFC O/H cabling system as best i could. Nothing looks fried/charred (from lightning strike) and the HFC boxes that have an unmetered O/H LV power supply all were ‘buzzing’ as normal indicating they were powered and operating. Must be some ‘dumb’ network component somewhere that is cooked and cannot be detected by Telstra from their end. Force Majure i’m afraid.
forkliftdrew

Progress!! It’s back up as of an hour ago in limited capacity, but better than nothing! 2.64MB/s D/L and 0.66MB/s up.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now