forkliftdrew
Level 3: Gumshoe

BigPond Cable Outage Mitchelton QLD 4053

Answered

Anyone else experiencing an unuseable BigPond Cable internet in Brisbane Northside, anywhere near Mitchelton 4053? We’re down to 0.24Mbps Download and 1.8Mbps Upload. The service is practically unuseable. 

Had a similar problem a month ago and a service tech came out and replaced a corroded HFC cable connection in the pit across the road. Pathetic Telstra policy is an adult has to be home for the service tech to attend site. Hardly working family friendly Telstra. Nor were their Philippine call centre very well trained. Found to be very aggressive actually. 

I’m hoping today’s problem is a systemwide one, rather than another fault in their own infrastructure they will refuse to check/repair until they rule out the problem being inside my house. Not looking forward to the drama Telstra will put us through again. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: BigPond Cable Outage Mitchelton QLD 4053

You can check for outages at outages.telstra.com
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Accepted Solution

You can check for outages at outages.telstra.com
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Highlighted
Nocable
Level 2: Rookie

4030 Windsor last Thursday my cable broadband internet went down
Rang Telstra everyday to be told it would be fixed by 6pm each day
Finally on Sunday afternoon it was fixed.
That was 75 plus hours with no internet- Telstra said it was outage in the area.
So today Thursday the broadband cable internet is again down - this time Telstra say the need to send technician to check- earliest appointment Saturday so another 36 hours with no internet.
How is this possible I leave 3kms from Brisbane cbd
Nocable

4030 last Thursday to Sunday
That was 75 plus hours with no internet- Telstra said it was outage in the area.
So today Thursday the broadband cable internet is again down - this time Telstra say the need to send technician to check- earliest appointment Saturday so another 36 hours with no internet.
How is this possible I leave 3kms from Brisbane cbd
Nocable

Mate
We don’t want to check for outages
We just want a service that we pay for to work

No consmuner services have 100% uptime guaranteed.

Techs are generally mulit skilled and will have other jobs/customer premises to attend to. The next available appointment is normally offered first.

forkliftdrew

Thanks for that. But since when is Telstra EVER aware of an outage before you are?

Mines again running at 0.28Mbps DOWNLOAD and 1.28Mbps as of right this VERY minute. No outages listed. This is a daily problem occurring throughout day and night. There is a cable fault in the street (same symptoms as last time, when they “fixed a cable joint in a pit across the road”). Are Telstra aware of this? No. Will i have to take a day off work so that i can “be the 18 year old present at home” again so that they will attend? YES!

Time to look at wireless.
forkliftdrew

I cant stand ringing them. They always imply its a fault at my end and it has to be ruled out before they will look at it from their own end.

Here’s an idea Telstra... pop open the Telstra HFC junction box and used your own network testing equipment to RULE OUT YOUR OWN NETWORK AS A CAUSE before you imply it’s my end and force me to take a day off work just to accommodate your technician coming to have another go at fixing the coax connection in the pit across the road.
forkliftdrew

Update... 46mins later, 33Mbps DOWN and 4.56Mbps UP... till you next spend and hour trying to download an email attachment from 2130-2250hrs to no avail...

PS: I’m using Ooklah Speedtest and the Telstra Brisbane Server.

PPS: It’s amazing, almost like venting here makes it work again...
Level 25: The Singularity

The network can't tell if there is a faulty connection by itself.

The other issue is that now the HFC network in your area is owned by NBN Co, so any issues need to be escalated to them to be investigated. Telstra can't go out and do it themselves any more.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
forkliftdrew

@Jupiter wrote:
The network can't tell if there is a faulty connection by itself.

The other issue is that now the HFC network in your area is owned by NBN Co, so any issues need to be escalated to them to be investigated. Telstra can't go out and do it themselves any more.

Thanks for the reply @Jupiter

So what you are telling me is that Telstra cannot innitiate an HFC fault investigation on behalf of a customer who pays $100/month to subscribe to Telstra’s BigpondCable service? I am to ring NBN, whom i am not a customer with and bare no relationship with and lodge a fault report? 

No. What I'm saying is that you lodge the fault with Telstra, Telstra then lodges it with NBN Co, but Telstra has very little control or visibility about what happens after that.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
forkliftdrew

@Jupiter wrote:
No. What I'm saying is that you lodge the fault with Telstra, Telstra then lodges it with NBN Co, but Telstra has very little control or visibility about what happens after that.

I hear ya. The problem is, that for a known, repetitive HFC fault, i cannot get past your aggressive and poorly trained Phillipines-based call center, that flat-out refuse to continue to log any fault report unless you are standing in your home whilst making the call, turning modems on and off and jumping through their ‘idiot hoops’.

Then, to add insult to injury, you are required to take a entire day off work to provide access to your house/modem, so they can be 1 hour later than the 3-4 hour window they gave you. Only to be told “i found a corroded connector in the pit across the road”. 

Well, thanks for letting me know i wasted a paid work day to watch you (or likely an NBN contractor, who knows) fix your own supply network, in your own pit, which required no access to my property whatsoever to trace and fix. 

Please provide a direct contact number for Telstra Bigpond Tech Support where i can re-ignite this intermittent service issue which has been going on for more than 2 months now. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi forkliftdrew

The faults team will need to confirm that the basic troubleshooting has been completed if they are reescelating the issue. If the last call to the faults team was within the last month then they should have sent you an SMS or email that will organise a callback rather than needing to call again. If you do not have this then Cable faults are on 133933 or via live chat here.

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

To save time on your next call, go to https://telstra.com/fix and do the troubleshooting steps there (it's a lot quicker than running through it with someone on the phone). It will give you a reference number at the end that you can quote to the consultants and they can then bypass the basic troubleshooting steps and get on with dealing with the problem.
If you are having connectivity issues at the time, you can run it from your phone.
forkliftdrew

Thanks @Jupiter & @AlistairQWA

Scored a L2 Escalation on the Telstra fix chat. Definitely better than the phone.

I cannot believe they asked me to perform a factory reset of the Netgear BP Cable Modem after rebooting it. Especially after an existing fault with the service in the street has been found and recently repaired. People pay IT professionals/or get in-laws to set networks up securely. A factory reset would undo this work and potentially render your network exposed as it resets to insecure default modem passwords.

If you can get 33Mbps downlink for 30 seconds in amongst an hour either side of this result with results ranging between a constant 0.22Mbps to 0.54Mbps, with pings from 8ms to 1333ms, doesn’t that scream to you that its a transmission problem on the link, not the hardware?

Firmware glitches can cause issues with connectivity, so it is one of the recommended actions (as it is the only way sometimes to remove the errant information). It is sometimes required after a line fault is rectified in order to get the modem to fully reregister on the network again. So yes, I can believe it (especially since I have had to do it myself for people when fixing their services for them).

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now