CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

BigPond Ultimate Cable Speed

I recently had the Bigpond Ultimate Cable installed at home on 20/07.  Technician replaced cable from the street to the house, setup and I was getting ~86Mbps DL & 2.8Mbps UL.  Monday, 22/07 the link is unstable, with max speed of 35Mbps DL and 1Mbps UL.  Checked Bigpond online for any outages in the area (2154 - Castle Hill), and there was.  Called Bigpond Tech Support to log a fault; they too confirmed the issues in the area and confirmed connection speeds to return to expected levels once the issues were resolved.

It is now 1.5weeks later, and I continue to get nothing above 35Mpbs DL and 1Mbps UL.  Called Tech Support, who confirmed no issues in the area and that 35Mbps DL & 1Mbps UL is minimum acceptable speeds.  I am not accepting minimum acceptable speeds.  When I signed up, it was confirmed that on the Ultimate plan, I can expect speeds of 70-100Mbps (I don't expect 100Mbps, however I expect a lot more than 35Mbps).

I have been testing every night this week, and it is as if my link/account has been capped at max speed of 35Mbps?  How can I confirm with Bigpond if this is the case?

I have a technician booked for 08/08; but I suspect he'll tell me there is nothing wrong and that it's something else and I should call Bigpond Technical Support.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: BigPond Ultimate Cable Speed

Where in Castle Hill are you? After an outage a few weeks ago (im on Anthony Road in CH] my usual 32 speed would climb above 3. 

I now upgrade to ultimate but Im stuck in the Captive Portal loop and I cant even get online at all - no internet for 2 weeks now...

Highlighted

Yip, all started a couple weeks ago when there were reports of major issues in the area. Personally, I think there is a larger underlying issue Telsta / Bigpond are not telling their clients. I suspect they are throttling to avoid more outages until they fix whatever problem there is, permanently. This would explain the continuous spikes in the speed of the connection, poor performance and dropouts; seems all very unstable.

I have called Tech Support several times; they clearly have a script they read from; should you ask them anything outside of whatever support checks that detailed in their "Support Bible", they find any excuse why they cannot help and that I need a technicain to come out and check. I will put a $1000 down that the technician who is scheduled to come and "sort out my problem" during the week, will tell me there is nothing wrong with the connection, nothing he can do and they I should contact Tech Support.

Very quick to put you on a contact and take your money; pity they cannot deliver on service, support & performance they so proudly brag about when signing you up as a client.

I don't expect much will change during the next week.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey CamoMo,

I'm not longer seeing any reported outages in the area, so it can indicate the fault is more local to your connection, rather than a exchange-wide fault. I completely understand the frustration, however I do believe the right thing has been done in booking a Field Appointment for you. With Cable services, there are only a few basic troubleshooting steps that can be completed. Most faults are caused by signal issues or physical faults along the connection which require a Technician to attend to the hardware side of the connection.

Hopefully the technician is able to pinpoint where the fault lies and gets this resolved for you in the long term. However if you still don't have any luck, let me know, I am happy to investigate this further for you Smiley Happy

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Chrismawn,

Your fault will be more of an activations/software issue rather than a local outage, I can see that Ester has sent you a message, hopefully she can get this sorted for you Smiley Happy

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit