CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Bigpond Cable outage - not showing in known outage page

Answered
For the last hour our Cable Internet have been slow and dropping in and out. Nothing is showing in the outage page. What is Telstra doing in the Carina area of Brisbane?
Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: Bigpond Cable outage - not showing in known outage page

Well, my scheduled tech appontment was this morning. The tech walked in, looked at the flashing light sequence on my router and straight away declared the modem was caput. Basically, what I suggested to the LiveChat rep on Thursday.

Installed a new router and set-up - and we're back on board!

I said to him I told the LiveChat rep that it was the modem that needed replacing, he said they like to send our techs to make sure it's nothing else so you don't fork out $120 for a modem when it's not needed.

I guess if I had more confidence, I could have walked into a Telstra Store, got a new modem and installed it myself. Would have been quicker Smiley Happy

Cheers!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 23: Superhero

If it's not showing as a wide-spread outage in service status your best bet with cable connection is to give tech support a call.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

I waited overnight in case it was some sort of maintenance. Still out. The Online light on my Netgear router is flashing on and off continuously.

At this point, what is the best number to call for assistance?
Cheers!

OK, so I log into my Bigpond account, looking at usage, etc. see a button called Service Status, click on hug at and select Internet. Because I'm on my iPad it asks if I want to use location to check for service status, so. I check the box. Almost immediately I see two suburbs I'm adjacent to have outages (Cannon Hill & Morningside). The time of the reported fault is roughly the time the Internet dropped out last night. I'd say I'm included in that. No date or time for a resolution as yet.

Well, the silver lining is that my kids are getting weaned off their Internet dependencies, Smiley Wink
Cheers!

Have called tech support, they are on it. They are calling me back this afternoon to troubleshoot when I get home from work.

Cheers!

Have not called me back as yet. I think I've worked out it may be my cable modem. The lights are doing weird things, like the power light staying off, and not being able to log into the modem to read the settings. It's not issuing IPs on my network either,

How do I go about getting a replacement cable modem, and soon?
Cheers!

Just to update, I got a hold of a tech via LiveChat last night - went through some troubleshooting whilst on there. In the end, has booked a Tech to come out Tuesday to check it out. Either the cable or the "server" they reckon, not my modem.

Hopefully the tech can get it sorted.

BTW, my modem goes into a loop of flashing lights, power light, then all other status lights light up, then they go off. This repeats after a number of seconds. 

I have some screenshots from the modem before it goes into this loop. They are on my Mac Mini, so I cannot post until I get home to retreive the file.

Cheers!

Accepted Solution

Well, my scheduled tech appontment was this morning. The tech walked in, looked at the flashing light sequence on my router and straight away declared the modem was caput. Basically, what I suggested to the LiveChat rep on Thursday.

Installed a new router and set-up - and we're back on board!

I said to him I told the LiveChat rep that it was the modem that needed replacing, he said they like to send our techs to make sure it's nothing else so you don't fork out $120 for a modem when it's not needed.

I guess if I had more confidence, I could have walked into a Telstra Store, got a new modem and installed it myself. Would have been quicker Smiley Happy

Cheers!

Level 23: Superhero

Thanks for the updates and great to hear you're back up and running again.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now