CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
ShawnB
Level 1: Cadet

Blocked acess

Answered

Are Telstra blocking some web sites.

I just updated my Acer Aspire one 722 from Win 7 Basic to Windows 10. My Google Chrome connects to the internet, and Windows updater connect  But Mail, MS Edge, Microsoft App Store will not connect.

Mail will not let me add an account. I get the message, "You need the internet for this."
MS Edge will not connect. I get the message, "Hmm, can't reach this page."

Store will not connect. I get the message, "The server stumbled..."

I have Google Chrome installed and it connects fine. Also, Adobe Reader accessed and updated.

I have reset my winsock, and ivp4 reset. catalog, and ipv6 reset catalog in DOS at NETSH.

Dont know what else to do. Need help, dont want to go back to Win7.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Blocked acess

OK, Shawn lets see if we can offer some positive type of assistance here...

Firstly, no Telstra wouldn't be blocking those sites, which I note are all Microsoft. I guess in the first instance maybe this could be a question for them, but as you've done some self checking, we'll just add another check for you.

Are you by any chance using a Proxy Server, these can create problems with some sites, something I've found during the past month assisting people with windows 10 upgrades..

If you have enabled proxy on the Computer, you'll not be able to connect to Microsoft Account. Hence, I suggest you to disable proxy on your Computer and check if it helps. Refer to the following steps to do the same:

1. To open Internet Options, type "inetcpl.cpl" in Run window which can be opened by pressing the Windows key and R key together.

2. You can do this underLAN Settings in Connections Tab under Internet Options.

3. Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN". Also make sure that "Automatically detect settings" is checked.

Also, did you update the Network drivers after upgrading to Windows 10? If not, then I suggest that you do it through

Device Manager."

Take a look and see how you go.

Signature.gif 

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5

Good afternoon Shawn,

To the very best of my knowledge, Telstra do not  block, and have never blocked  any normal websites.

I believe any problems you have with some websites, are caused by other issues.

Have a great day. Kind regards

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Accepted Solution

OK, Shawn lets see if we can offer some positive type of assistance here...

Firstly, no Telstra wouldn't be blocking those sites, which I note are all Microsoft. I guess in the first instance maybe this could be a question for them, but as you've done some self checking, we'll just add another check for you.

Are you by any chance using a Proxy Server, these can create problems with some sites, something I've found during the past month assisting people with windows 10 upgrades..

If you have enabled proxy on the Computer, you'll not be able to connect to Microsoft Account. Hence, I suggest you to disable proxy on your Computer and check if it helps. Refer to the following steps to do the same:

1. To open Internet Options, type "inetcpl.cpl" in Run window which can be opened by pressing the Windows key and R key together.

2. You can do this underLAN Settings in Connections Tab under Internet Options.

3. Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN". Also make sure that "Automatically detect settings" is checked.

Also, did you update the Network drivers after upgrading to Windows 10? If not, then I suggest that you do it through

Device Manager."

Take a look and see how you go.

Signature.gif 

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

View solution in original post

ShawnB

Brilliant, nailed it straight off, and I thought I'd thought of everything.

Didn't even think about that as I'd had no problems on windows 7, they must have changed something in 10.

Everything now works. I hope they make some updates so that proxies work properly, I'll have to check the poxy site and see if they have any windows 10 updates.

Great Shawn.

There are some big and not so big differences between windows 7 and 10, and these would be more noticable if you haven't been through issues windows 8 and then 8.1.

The programs that you mentioned that were being blocked are actually more like apps that you find in Google Android rather than traditional programs that we have used for so long on the Windows platform. Hence they now have the Windows Store, which should more appropriately be called the Windows App Store.

They are basically more simply and basic in their configuration.

Signature.gif

ShawnB

I'm really now not having any problems with windows 10 as a whole, but yes, I know what you mean about the apps concept.

Even the basic games that always came with windows now have limited use and then you have to subscribe through the store to get full use of them, very google like.

Thanks again.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit