CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Pips
Level 3: Gumshoe

Blocked from accessing web site; is Telstra blocking IP addresses?

Answered

I have 4 computers (2 Macs, 1 Windows and an iPad) plus two iPhones connected to my Telstra wifi broadband.  Its wierd but i cannot access one particular web site address (www.accountingsolutions.com.au) on any of these devices yet anyone else can access this site (not using my wifi but as soon as they do use my wifi the site is blocked).  Even my email in and out (uses accountingsolutions.com.au) does not work.  I cannot even access the control panel for the web site or email control panel.  Its as though the word accountingsolutions is quaranteened or something.  Wot tha?  I have cleaned out all cookies and cache.  Not sure what to do next.  Have never seen or heard of this problem before.  Contacted my web host provider and he can't see any issues his end or identify what the problem is my end.  Any suggestions would be helpful. 

Perhaps it is a fault with Telstra's network?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Blocked from accessing web site; is Telstra blocking IP addresses?

Hi Pips,

Having a quick read of your posts it looks like you might have malware which is causing you to be blocked by Spamhaus. Have you tried doing a full virus scan of your computer?
Lathania

Accepted Solution

Solved!!!!! I changed to Port 587. To heck with the technical stuff. I am delighted everything is back to normal. Thanks Telstra for all your help. I have spent hours and hours and hours on trying to solve this problem. I am sure there will be other users that will have the same issue. PS: This is the first time I have EVER used a virus scan on my Macintosh computer. It did not solve anything because the IP address I was using was being blocked by Spamhaus. Cheers.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
44 REPLIES 44
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Pips, 

It definitely sounds like the connection is being stopped from connecting to the site. Have you tried factory defaulting the modem? It could be a setting within the modem stopping the connection. 

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Pips

Thanks Brodie.  I did get eventually get advice from Telstra tech support about this issue but I am very unsatisfied with what they have asked me to do - namely to turn the modem off and then on again whenever I notice this problem.  I am surprised that there is not an avalanch of complaints from other people like me.  Surely I am not the only one with the issue.  The problem is that I am now having to reset my modem 5-9 times a day just to get my emails or visit the web site.  Ridiculous.  I did not alter anything or change any settings before this happened.  Telstra have obviously DONE something.  

To recap, in my layman's terms - an IP address is allocated to a particular web address (and its associated email server).  My modem sticks with this IP but for some reason that IP is changed by Telstra some time later meaning that my computers are still trying to access an IP address that does not link.  When I reset my modem the old IP address is replaced with the new one which means that I can again gain access to my particular mail server and web site - UNTILL IT HAPPENS AGAIN SOON AFTER.  I am sick of resetting my modem.  Surely this annoying situation must be happening to other people with the same modem as mine.  

How the hell do I get the modem to default to the factory settings?  And if I do this what issues will it cause me?  I dread having to set up anything to do with Telstra (including my frustrating T Box).  Thanks to you personally for your advice. Trying to get to a Telstra tech who actually knows something has been sooooooooo bloody frustrating.  Lots of chat modes and so called CROWD support but actually talking to someone with skills in tech is almost impossible.  This whole issue has taken me HOURS and HOURS.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Pips, 

We might need to escalate this to our Network Engineers, I will send you a PM to grab your details to get this done.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Pips

Thanks Brodie.  I have used the modem for a couple of days now hoping things might improve but the matter is still giving me grief.  I have to turn the modem off and on again at least 4 times a day just to get or send my emails. No way of telling if it is working or not untill I try to access the web site.  So unsatisfactory.  I feel like just chucking my modem away and going to Optus who I was with previously - with very few problems may I add.  I need this crazy situation fixed as I cannot keep flicking the power switch.  My wife has a business and it is affecting her business now.  You say that we may need to escalate this issue.  How do I do that?  I have pointed out what the problem is and the techs know the problem.  Surely if its fixable I should not have to do anything.

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Pips,

Brodie should have sent you a PM to have your send your details so that we can have this escalated further. This will be in your inbox via this Crowd Support service, so please have this filled in and we will have this escalated to the correct team to investigate the matter further for you.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Pips,

What you describe with the restarting of the modem to get a new IP address which will temporarily allow emails through, makes me suspect that you are being affected by the Spamhaus filter.

For more information on Spamhaus and what you can do to resolve this, please read the following Knowledge Base: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Bigpond-Email-Inc-Window-Live-KB/I-m-getting-an-Error-related-...

Pips

I checked the solution suggested re Spamhaus filter but unfortunately (despite hoping there was a simple answer) this did not solve my problem.  I am still having the same issues - namely I have to switch my modem off and on again (many times in a day) to re-establish a link with the web site and email server I spoke about previously.  My frustration continues. Please note there is no error message when I try to access the site. Its as though the IP address I am using to link to the site changes externally while my IP stays the same - hence I can't link (whilst everyone else seems to be able to).  Surely this must be a problem faced by other Telstra users.  I have not done anything at all to my systems/processes in the last couple of weeks either before this happened or afterwards (except of course I turn the damm think off and on again and wait for things to stop working before I do it again).

Pips

Firstly, I must give Telstra support lots of credit.  Support have followed up my issues and offered me lots of suggestions etc and kept calling me by phone to see if I was happy.  Unfortunately my problem continues despite dong all the things that I was told to try.  I thought I had the problem solved but its the same story.  First, I had to ensure that I had password authentication. then I had to ensure that my computer did not have a virus. My problem is that when I use the Telstra modem the blockage of the web site and email server I have been experiencing kicks in so that I have to switch the modem off and then on again to reset the IP address.  It does not matter whether I am using my Mac, my MacBook, my Windows machine, my iPad or my iPhone when linked to the Telstra modem.  Suprising I do not have these issues when I use my son's Optus modem which I did for a few days. I have alerted my web hosting company but they have not given me any solutions either.  Spamhaus seems to be an issue and I am not sure why?

Accepted Solution

Hi Pips,

Having a quick read of your posts it looks like you might have malware which is causing you to be blocked by Spamhaus. Have you tried doing a full virus scan of your computer?
Lathania

You are NOT alone. I have no hair left and I’ve aged 10 years. 

Spamhaus is an issue alright from what I've read, and I don't know why Telstra aren't talking about it or assisting their customers.

What Spamhaus.org have to say is that if you don’t have SMTP Authentication switched on in your normal email program, and use 'authenticated mail’ port 587 as opposed to port 25, you'll have problems (Aren't these set by Telstra device software and techs when you first hook up the device?)

Anyway, the Spamhaus FAQ page sets out very clearly that a PBL listing WILL BLOCK YOU if your email program is NOT AUTHENTICATING PROPERLY. See http://www.spamhaus.org/faq/section/Spamhaus%2520PBL#253

I don’t know why the Telstra Knowledge Base article we are referred to above doesn’t mention this seemingly rather critical piece of information. See http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Bigpond-Email-Inc-Windows-Live/I-m-getting-an-Error-related-to...   But you will find in the Knowledge Base articlea quick way to check your SMTP Authentication setting and which port you are using – go to Item 1. and click where it says ‘click here’.

I did so, and discovered I’m using port 25, SMTP Authentication is switched off, and furthermore, my mailbox has not been upgraded to outlook.com (don’t know what the latter is all about).  According to Spamhaus this would be why I cannot access certain websites or find my activities restricted where I have an email account, and why I have problems with email generally at times, requiring me to repeatedly disconnect and reconnect to generate a new IP address.

Anyway, tonight I decided to try getting the settings right in my email program to see if it would solve the problem. I found out how to go into Outlook and switch on SMTP authentication here http://www.tradebooster.com/web-hosting-articles/how-to-enable-smtp-authentication-in-outlook-2010/  I switched on SMTP authentication, sent a test email and all worked fine.

I then went back in and under the ‘advanced’ tab changed the Outgoing SMTP Port from 25 to 587, but when I sent a test email I got an error saying the server was interrupted and to contact my ISP. I had to switch back to port 25 to get it working again!

According to Spamhaus.org, mail servers apparently only run spam filters such as Spamhaus PBL on port 25, so its not looking good for me unless Telstra can get me off port 25 and onto port 587. Spamhaus.org also say: “Industry best practice is to block outgoing port 25 of dynamic pools (MAAWG documents).” If so, why has Telstra got me using port 25? I know mine is drawn from a dynamic pool and I have read that its the same for the vast majority of us these days. My IP address changes every time I make a new connection. I’ve recently learned how to check it by typing ‘what is my ip’ into the search window of my browser. I then copy it and check if its blacklisted here http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check  What blows me away, is that so far, every IP address I've entered has come up being listed!  http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/)

But is all this just another wild goose chase? Who knows? I just want the issues resolved. I'm sick of spending hours and days and weeks of my life trying to sort these issues out.

Out of desperation I have contacted webmasters and various IT techs at a few of the websites I cannot access, or whose systems keep knocking me off, and they keep insisting this issue is with my ISP (Telstra). The implication is that Telstra recycles IP addresses, and ones affected by listings at Spamhaus.org and the like, without getting those IP addresses cleared. I even dared to put this to Telstra and they denied it adamantly. Who is telling the truth?

Its nearly 2.30am and I’m going to bed. Tomorrow I will contact Telstra again.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jules,

You can request to migrate from the old BigPond mail platform to the new one hosted by Microsoft by using the following link.

http://www.telstra.com.au/internet/home-broadband/broadband-extras/#tab-bigpond-email

Before doing so, I recommend making sure that your password meets Microsofts minimum requirements by logging into My BigPond [https://myaccount.bigpond.com/MyServices.do] and selecting Change Password. 

Note: the password cannot be the same as any previous password, and you will need to update your email client with the new password.

Passwords must be 8-16 characters in length and contain at least at least two of the following character types: upper case, lower case, numbers.

Currently accepted characters are ASCII values 33-126:
- Letters A-Z
- Letters a-z
- Numbers 0-9
- Symbols ! @ # $ % ^ & * -_ + = [ ] { } | \ : , .? / ` ~ ― < > ( ) ;

Jules0722
Level 2: Rookie

Hello Shelley,

Are you saying that all the issues raised in my above post can be resolved by migrating from the old BigPond mail platform to the new one hosted by Microsoft? 

Thankyou

Julie

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jules,

The Outlook.com platform uses SSL and port 587, so it does sound like this might be the answer.

Jules0722

Hi Shelley,

Interesting. It seems Telstra are aware that if their client has a dynamic IP address and uses port 25 that they will run into endless ongoing problems.

Just a couple of questions which I ask you to please take the time to answer carefully::

1. If I migrate, will I still be able to use my current email address? ie. ********@bigpond.com?  Or will I have to get an outlook.com address and use only that?

2. Since Telstra are aware of the issues with use of port 25, why have they not contacted all their clients, including me, and explained the critical need to migrate from the old BigPond mail platform to the new Microsoft Outlook platform, whereby port 587 can be utilised?

Thankyou

Julie

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jules,

We have been slowly migrating customers across to the new mail platform hosted by Microsoft since February 2012. This year we have enabled customers to voluntarily migrate their BigPond email accounts to Outlook.com. Once all mailboxes have been moved across, the original mail server will be closed. 

BigPond customers migrating their mailboxes will keep the username@bigpond.com or username@bigpond.net.au accounts, and the passwords for these will still be managed from the My BigPond site.

I know customers have been having difficulties with the dramatic differences in the email settings between the old and new mail platform. Sometimes they end up with a combination of the two settings which does not work well.

Customers on the legacy platform

- DO NOT use SMTP authentication or SSL and uses Ports 25 (outgoing) and 110 (incoming). 

- Both the incoming and outgoing and outgoing mail servers are: mail.bigpond.com

Customers on the new Outlook.com platform

- DO use SMTP authentication, SSL and Ports 587 (outgoing) and 995 (incoming).

- Incoming mail server is: pop3.live.com

- Outgoing mail server is: smtp.live.com

Jules0722

Dear Shelley

Thankyou for advising me of this.

I am so utterly disappointed with Telstra and Bigpond.

From what you have told me now, it would seem that I am one of the customers still on the old Bigpond platform (or legacy platform) yet to be transferred to the new platform, and this means I CANNOT switch on SMTP authentication or use any port other than port 25. 

Since Bigpond uses the Spamhaus list to manage spam on port 25, I am trapped into being frequently blocked. I remind you that Spamhaus instructs CLEARLY that blocks will occur if SMTP authentication is not switched on, and if port 25 is used..

The only solution is for me to continually disconnect and restart my connection in order to generate a new IP address which hopefully is not yet on the Spamhaus list. 

So, yes I am back to square one. The problem that has plagued me for months and adversely effected my life in an untold myriad of ways because of my reliance on the internet and email.  

Between posts, I have read postings from others who have tried doing the migration themselves, and they have found many continuing problems - in essence it seems they cannot complete the migration in full. Consequently, I am reluctant to attempt the migration myself, and think I should wait for Bigpond to do this.

I feel stongnly that there should have been an email sent out to every customer about all of this. There is no excuse for leaving me for months to go through what I have or anybody else.

Bigpond need to get on with the migrations asap. I trust you will forward a copy our correspondence to them for them to Bigpond managers for them to see what the delay is causing customers.

Thankyou

Julie

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Julie,

As Shelly posted earlier, there are a few options available for you. You can migrate your service to the newer platform (here) or follow the instructions via Spamhaus to have it removed. We have no control over Spamhaus listing. 

I personally have completed the migration (via the link) and have had no issues completing successfully, so while it absolutely has had (and continues to have) hiccups, many customers are able to complete the migration with no issues.

In regards to the mass email, this fault is not overly common and will not affect every customer. 

This migration process is being completed in batches, so I can assure you that we are working as fast as possible to move every email (of which there are a huge amount). 

I understand your frustrations, but we have avenues that you can follow to resolve this issue. 

Brodie

Hoping I can clarify a little. There is no issue with using port 25 for outgoing mail, nor is there a problem with using it via the mail.bigpond.com outgoing mail server or the legacy mail platform in general. I have both an old and a new @bigpond.com email address on each platform and I don't have any issues at all.

From what everything I've read, if you get blocked every day and have to restart your modem to aquire a new IP address 1 of 2 things are occurring:

1. You have a virus or malware. This means that your computer or IP is being used to send spam emails, and spamhaus is legitimately blocking you. This will continue occur indefinitely until you seek professional IT assistance and get the problem resolved.

2. You are sending too many emails every day. If you are sending upwards of a few hundred emails every day you will trip spamhaus' filters by sending this many emails on a non secure / authenticated method. This is not Telstra's responsibility to fix. This will happen on a legacy Bigpond mail account. To resolve this you can either wait for migration, stop sending so many emails, subscribe to a mass mail access with Telstra Business Broadband, or use a different email address such as a hotmail or gmail.

In closing, as you've been advised Spamhaus blocking is indipendant of Telstra and is not their responsibility to resolve or protect you against. This issue is very easily resolved but you must do the legwork yourself.

Lathania

Dear Brodie,

Sorry to correct you, but you cannot get a dynamic (changing) IP address unblocked at Spamhaus.org.

Only static (unchanging) IP addresses can be made exempt and permanently unblocked.

The majority of people nowadays have their IP addresses drawn from a dynamic pool with each new connection, so its worth keeping in mind that a lot of people could be affected here..

Its very important that techs ensure correct information go up here

Thanks

Julie

Jules0722,

You can request to unblock a dynamic IP via the following link - http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

Lathania

Dear Lathania,

Re your statement " There is no issue with using port 25 for outgoing mail" I strongly recommend you go to the Spamhaus.org FAQ page here http://www.spamhaus.org/faq/section/Spamhaus%20PBL which if you scroll down, clearly sets out that if you are on the PBL blocklist.and your email is blocked, it will be because you do not have SMTP authentication switched on and you are using port 25.

Please bear in mind that customers not yet migrated to the new Microsoft Outlook platform, must leave their settings at SMTP authentication switched off and use port 25, or their email will not work at all.  These customers are trapped in a situation where until they migrate they will experience blocking from time to time, requiring restarts to generate a new IP address that is not yet on the Spamhaus list. 

I also point out that it is months that I have been having problems, and at no earlier stage than today did anyone at Telstra or Bigpond even mention the possible true nature of the problems I have been experiencing and that they may be resolved in their entirety by taking the necessary step of migrating across to the new Microsoft platform. Its the first I've heard of it.

In that time I have received unsolicited calls from Telstra employees offering me new plans and upgrades, but noone has rung me advising I need to migrate my account or offering to arrange a time to assist me to do so.

Thankyou

Julie

Jules0722

Telstra choose to subscribe to Spamhaus.org data to manage spam on port 25, and they do this knowing full well that many of their customers are locked into using this port until such time as they are migrated from the old Bigpond platform over to the new Microsoft platform.

Yes, Spamhaus is independent. And they do a great job identifying potential spammers and blocking their IP addresses. That's why Telstra subscribe to their data. I subscribe to Eset NOD for real time antivirus protection. They do a great job too.

No I'm not sending too many emails each day.

Stop guessing. If I had a dime for every time you've told people on this site "You have a virus or malware" - I'd be rich. Just like the Telstra techs who continually get me to run a full antivirus scan to no avail.

Jules0722

Lathania

re your statement "You can request to unblock a dynamic IP via the following link - http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/"

No.  Incorrect. Don't give out any more incorrect advice!  You're just confusing readers!

That page is for checking if your IP address is on one of their block list. Spamhaus are very clear on their FAQ page that you can apply to have a static IP address made exempt, but NOT a dynamic one. Think about it and you'll realise why - IT CHANGES WITH EVERY NEW CONNECTION. 

Do you know the difference between a static and a dynamic IP address?!!

Julie

HI Julie,

Please note the "edit" button under options can be used to modify 3 posts into a single readable one.

While the FAQ says you cannot unblock dynamic IP addresses, this is not the case. There is no way for Spamhaus to distinguish between what IP addresses are assigned statically to an ISP's customers and what IP addresses are given out as part of a pool. If you take a read of articles such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address you'll find that the IP addresses themselves are exactly the same, however its how they are assigned by an ISP which defines them as "static" or "dynamic" and nothing to do with the address itself.

I have personally successfully assisted hundreds of consumers in unblocking dynamic IP's via the link I provided.

While I understand the wording on the FAQ about who will be blocked and why is very direct and does not allow for exceptions, it is not to be taken 100% correct. For example, the FAQ you linked stated that "YOU NEED TO ENABLE SMTP AUTHENTICATION" this in no way suggests that 100% of people not using a SMTP connection (Like every single BigPond customer over the last ~10 years) it is suggesting that if you were blocked for reasons other than sending SPAM or mass mail, or perhaps suspicious mail, then you will need to turn it on to remedy the problem.

Fortunately for me, I am a consumer here posting in a personal capacity, just like you. The whole purpose of this forum is for people to help other people by "guessing" their issues in an attempt to fix it. The concept is called "Crowd Sourcing", which is where the name "Crowd Support" comes from.

Whilst I'm in the midst of making "speculations" or "guesses" in an attempt to help you, even though you seem very unwilling to accept anyone's attempts to assist you and instead insist on complaining, I would recommend that if your no name anti-virus program isn't finding any spyware etc, then it may not necessarily be because there aren't any, but rather that it just can't find them. I would recommend trialing free software such as AVG Free and do a full scan to try to confirm whether or not you could potentially have some form of malware. The reason I'm saying this so many times, is because as previously mentioned, 100% of Bigpond customers not using SMTP are not blocked by Spamhaus. So if you've been been blocked several times after restarting your modem, then you are either very very unlucky, of perhaps you are being blocked for a reason.

Hope this helps clear up the "confusion".

Lathania

Well Lithania, you must have magical extraordinary powers!

Which of course would be why you spend all your free time waltzing around these quarters telling people they have viruses and malware, and that they're complaining about nothing and ought to get on and do some legwork themselves etc. I bet Telstra adore you!

As for your assertion, "I have personally successfully assisted hundreds of consumers in unblocking dynamic IP's via the link I provided" - that's malarkey, as anyone entering a dynamic IP address and following the steps after clicking on 'remove an IP from PBL' would be forced to concede.

But you take the cake further asserting that the information at Spamhaus.org "...is not to be taken 100% correct." It would be one thing to say to people they should read the information carefully to be sure it applies to their situation, but its quite another to claim the information contained at a website is incorrect.

Now that's enough. I wanted to talk to people who are having the same issue. That's all.

Thankyou

Julie

The part I was referring too when I said "not 100% correct" was meant to infer that the wording is absolute when it shouldn't be. "You cannot request to remove a Dynamic IP" when it should infer that you cannot do it due to Spamhaus policy, not that it is a technical impossibility.

I'm on this site of my own free will helping people who are both misinformed and uninformed. Feel free to make all the remarks you wish to about this, at the end of the day I'm just helping people.

Hopefully the people you're hoping to talk too will read my posts and take my suggestions on board and have their issue resolved.

Have a wonderful evening.

Lathania

Thanks Shelley for your earlier information.

Pips

Hi Shelley

I am back with the same problem as Jules.  I originally thought my problem was resolved because for a short time my problem seemed to have gone away but it has returned - maybe because I am sending more emails.  The only way I can solve the issue is to reboot my Telstra modem. This has become a real pain. I tackled my ISP at length and he kept checking his end (a Microsoft mail server) especially when I was locked out.  He said it is surprising that the problem only occurs on my Telstra modem because he could access everything from his end. Tell me its an ISP issue.

Let's recap:

At any particular time I seem to be blocked from accessing a web site which results in me not being able to receive or send mail through that domain name mail server.  I can though, access the same web site and send and receive mail via another modem (either a Telstra one or another carrier).

Let's recap futher:

I use a Mac but I have a Windows machine, iPad, 2 x iPhones and a Mac Air on my Telstra wireless network.  I use Mail for my emails. I do not use the Bigpond mail platform although I must admit I get an awful lot of requests from the Telstra mail server to confirm my email ID and password.

The advice and solutions I previously received from Telstra support was:

1.  Check if Spamhaus is blocking that IP address?  I checked numerous times over the last fortnight (especially when I am locked out) and Spamhaus has NOT been the issue. I did though have one blockage notification three weeks ago (a PBL whatever that means - no idea how that got there.)

2.  Do I have a trojan/virus on my machine?  I swept my Mac for the first time in 18 years of use for viruses. I found NONE.

3. Reboot the modem back to a factory default?  Done.  Solved the problem?  NO.

4.  Check to see if my email program is authenticating properly.  SMTP authentication is not the problem (authentication by password has always been turned on).

So its back to switching the modem off and on to clear the problem.  Sometimes I have to do this once a day, sometimes I grind to a halt after 10 - 15 times a day.  I have just read the post by Jules's and things seem so so familiar. I too am sick of spending hours and days and weeks of my life trying to sort this issue out.

Pips

Pips

Hi Shelley and other Technical Support staff.

Interesting to note the stuff one comes across on Crowd Support. Interesting to also read my ISP's response to an email I sent him yesterday. I can't keep booting and rebooting my modem forever.  The problem is obviously in the IP number Telstra keeps assigning to me (or a range of IP addresses).

CrowdSupport post from dario (similar to many others I have come across):

Hello, I'm trying to access a web site but I can't; its IP should be xxxxxxxxx. I can visit it when using non-Telstra connections, and I can access it when using my Telstra connection only if I use a proxy.
Is it possible that the website is included in some kind of IP filtering from Telstra? In that case, I'd like the website to be removed from the blocked IP range, thank you.

Sound familiar?  Sure does!!

SOLUTION suggested in Crowdsupport entry by hollowpoint - Telstra have been recycling bad addresses for a while now. Their IP pool is too shallow so they just redistribute old addresses even if listed in Spamhaus. We had 5 in a row one day. As soon as we got a new IP, we checked it in the blacklist and sure enough... Seriously, Telstra needs to put their hands in their pockets and buy more addresses. They owe it to their customers.

Here is a reply to an email sent to my ISP to please explain:

Hi xxxxxxxx (ISP)

I am continuing to experience major issues with relate to my IP address that I spoke to you about around a month ago.  I have been talking to Telstra for a month now but the problem continues despite doing everything that has been requested of me.

That spamhaus IP check was done for your Telstra IP address, not one under my control. It just shows that you particular IP address range that you use is in the spamhaus blacklist.

Summary/recap:

I cannot access my web site and cannot receive emails or send emails until I reboot my modem. This usually happens after I send out emails. Evidently my issue is my particular IP number which gets blocked.  Others can access my web site using Telstra or other comms modems because they have a different IP address. When I reboot I get a different IP address and all is well again until I send out an email.

I have checked the firewalls on the server here, and your current (at the time of this email) IP address is not listed as being firewalled on the server.

Telstra have got me to test lots of things but I continue to have the same issues.

Do I have any viruses on any of my computers that are using the Telstra modem? Emphatically NO.  I keep checking (which takes an eternity every time I do it) but all my units are clean.
Have I rebooted my modem back to factory settings? YES.
Is my SMTP authenticated on my mail program? YES - its always been authenticated using password (I use Mac Mail and only very occasionally Windows Outlook)  In fact I have never changed any settings from the first time I have set my main program up.

Telstra finally asked me to check if my IP address is listed on the Spamhaus list. It is'nt but it seems that IPs in the IP range listed (and being assigned to my modem) were listed some time in the past (see attached screen grab). What can I do about this?

Not much you can do, it is up to Telstra to get this fixed. As it is their IP address range, I can do nothing about getting it sorted out for them.

Is it an SSL and port issue - I have not changed any setting since it was first set up some 5 years ago?

Not if you haven't changed things to what they were previously to being able to send this email out.

Your response?  It is obviously a major problem and it needs to be solved. I can't keep spending useless hours on something I have no control over. It should not be up to me.  I am so over having to reboot the modem over and over and over.  Find a solution please. The issue has taken me hours, days and weeks.  Our business is suffering.

Pips

Pips

Another thing.  Its curious that the problems I have had started when I visited China at the end of a 3 months trip to Europe.  Everything was working fine all the way though 17 European countries until I landed in Beijing. Maybe this is more than a coincident.

Pips

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Pips,

I have re-opened the previous email and created and escalation to have our network team investigate this for you.

I have included all of the information provided above.

I will be in contact once they have provided an update.

evillyawcbt
Level 1: Cadet

I think people are a little confused here.

1. DNS Blocklists such as SpamHaus are designed for MAILSERVERS ONLY. It does not block client PC's only mail servers.

Your email is sent to mail.bigpond.com... Spamhaus will block mail.bigpond.com if it is sending out spam. it does not block your individual PC unless you are running email server software.

From the spamhaus website

I am an end user. How can remove my IP(s) from the SBL ?
 Contact your system administrator and ask him/her to handle the problem. Keep in mind that SBL listings are always a direct consequence of involvement of a server (or other equipment) with spam, and that technicalities may be involved.

2. Port 25 is blocked by Telstra and most ISP's so that your PC Cannot act as a mailserver even if it is infected by a virus or malware.

3. Using Encryption refers to enabling the TLS Protocol between mailservers, it is not a recommendation between Client and Mailserver. Using SSL is not relevant for being blacklisted by Spamhaus and has no effect whatsoever. They are referring to mail server to mail server communications. 

4. If mail.bigpond.com is sending out spam (and Telstra has many many servers and IP addresses for mail.bigpond.com) then it can get on the spamhaus list and be blocked. As can be imagined with so many customers, many infected with spyware and viruses mail.bigpond.com would be bombarded with spam destined for the rest of the world.

ISP's employ very sophisticated technologies to block spam leaving their mail servers, occassionally ISP's can have a very small proportion of mail servers blocked for sending spam. The relationship between ISP's and Spamhaus often means they can get themselves removed relatively quickly.

Unfortunately the way DNS works on your PC and Router if you happen to have a blocked mail.bigpond.com mail server, your PC will keep on selecting the same server over and over again.

You need to flush your DNS Cache on your PC and your router. Easiest way to do that is to turn off your router and your PC. You need to do both.

If an individual mail.bigpond.com mailserver has been blocked and is causing your problem, that information can be found here. It would appear that servers with the name xxxxxxx.mx.bigpond.com are associated with mail.bigpond.com 

http://www.senderbase.org/lookup?search_string=61.9.168.249

Currently all mail.bigpond.com mail servers have a good reputation and are not blocked.

If your email is being blocked by it could very well be a virus.

Some viruses or malware are very often not detected by antivirus or malware programs.

Some malware can be very innocent looking, like a smiley face emoticon that you have added to your signature.

The cleverly crafted graphic can have hidden code with in it that can divert unpatched computers to a website that infects it with Malware.

Telstra will block outgoing emails containing malware, viruses, and spam, this is done to protect their mail servers from being listed in the block lists

If the worst comes to the worst you can use webmail which should work just fine.

I hope that explains some of the things that could be happenning.

Pips
Accepted Solution

Solved!!!!! I changed to Port 587. To heck with the technical stuff. I am delighted everything is back to normal. Thanks Telstra for all your help. I have spent hours and hours and hours on trying to solve this problem. I am sure there will be other users that will have the same issue. PS: This is the first time I have EVER used a virus scan on my Macintosh computer. It did not solve anything because the IP address I was using was being blocked by Spamhaus. Cheers.
JP8

I have the same issue with my business site. Works when I am off the home wifi but does not work when I am connected to the home broadband

Easton

Hi Folks

I purchased a telstra modem to enable the Telstra Air concept. All went well except now I have a number of websites I cant acces...google hangs and times out. Powering off the modem has worked most times but tonight I cannot log onto my wifes uni website on any machine connected through the telstra air enabled modem. Tried wifi connection on laptop through mobile phone hot spot and bingo connected straight through no problems...its the adsl modem I believe..no one can help me yet to solve it..still waiting onthe end of the phone listening to elevator music...any solutions

APham

Hi mate,

I had Telstra Broadband up and running at home today and I am having the same problem as yours. I am working from home most of the time so this is a critical issue. I am wodering if you have your problem solved.

Thank you

Regards,

APham

Petemanly

Having the same problem, have been for 3 weeks now. Dont get anywhere on the phone. Are telstra techies even looking at this thread anymore? Same issue for me work emails and website blocked when using my home internet, blocks it on my phone when using the wifi also. Turn wifi off and i can access on my phone. Definitely an ip problem with telstra, anyone going to help or do something about this?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Petemanly,

Is it only outgoing emails that you are experiencing difficutlies with, or is incoming emails also being affected? Can you confirm the email incoming and outgoing mail server settings that you are using?

- Shelly

xis

Ive had an on and off issue lately that I can not get to the bottom of with "blocked" websites

Today I can not access:

http://whatismyip.com, http://www.thecanary.co, https://www.efa.org.au, http://www.torrentfreak.com and I get a blank white page when trying to access: http://www.webhostingtalk.com

Ive tried changing DNS servers to Google, but this does not help and my current dynamic IP address IS listed in the SPAMHAUS database, but this should only block SMTP connections not port 80 etc...

If I switch on a work VPN connection, all is okay and I can connect to http://whatismyip.com, http://www.thecanary.co, https://www.efa.org.au, http://www.torrentfreak.com and http://www.webhostingtalk.com, as soon as its turned off, no access.  The only resort I have to turn off the modem, wait a short amout of time and turn on again to obtain a new IP address or constantly use the work VPN.

It does not matter If i try a different browser, computer or smart device, all can not access the websites mentioned above.

Could this to be to do with some websites that use Cloudflare services - Does Cloudflare have a block list like SPAMHAUS - I can not find one to check my IP against.

SarahSpence

Following - also having this issue with our website. Customers on Telstra broadband have reported consistently that they cannot access our site. Some have success turning off/on their modems, others have to turn them off and access the site via their 4G data (even Telstra mobiles work though). 

Our site IPs are not on the SPAMHAUS blocked database, but we do use Cloudflare... so perhaps it's a problem there? 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Some websites will block connections that appear on blacklists. Have you contacted the domain administrator for any of those websites? 

- Shelly

SarahSpence

Hi Shelley, 

I am the system administrator for our website. Where can I check if our site is blacklisted? The IPs aren't blacklisted on SPAMHAUS - so not sure where else to check. 

Thanks

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

try http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx .

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Frustrated161

Hi, we are having this very SAME problem now appears this time Akama seems to be the issue.

Spent a few hours today speaking with Telstra .... (crickets)...they claim to have esculated this to a higher tech support team and they will call when available.

I've read a little today online trying to get a handle on this, changing our IP address seems to be the glearing one that keeps coming up , which we suggested a few times to Telstra phone support.

Can only pray and hope someone from Telstra that come through to fix this. Major pain in the rear as certain sites which we use for business ala cloud application we cannot access now.

Totally frustrated and disppointed.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now