Skuzy
Level 1: Cadet

Broad Band / ADSL / ADSL 2 / Broadband off net options????

Hi Telstra Team

I know for a fact that my surrounding neighbours have either ADSL/ADSL2/ or cable or other.

Initially the comments from Telstra team were: "We cant help you because have no active phone line". So i signed up with Telstra for a phone line for 3 months.

Then the comments varied, and I have tried several avenues to get this connection with but keep getting fobbed around by different Telstra help teams.

Optus cannot help me because Telstra own the local area lines.

TPG have commented :

Telstra has identified that your nominated phone line has incompatible
infrastructure - "Pair Gains System/RIM" and is incompatible with ADSL. In
order for TPG to deliver an ADSL service, we will need to organise the removal
of "Pair Gains System/RIM"

Plenty of people near by are moving houses so i would assume some ports would free up.

Curently iam using a Telstra Mobile Broad band + Telstra Mobile and now revisiting my options with this for internet usage.

Can you please help with what are my options for a better internet solution?

Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Broad Band / ADSL / ADSL 2 / Broadband off net options????

You need to ring Telstra and ask to be taken off the Pair Gain/RIM as you want to be able to get ADSL. This is your first problem.  Your next problem will be port availablity.  You will not find out if a port is available until your line is capable of an ADSL connection.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Skuzy

So why is it that Telstra couldnt tell me this information and it had to come from TPG ???

Skuzy

TElstra team - any feed back here?

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Skuzy,

Essentially if you have received a knockback from TPG about installing ADSL there then it's not just because of Pair Gains, it because there isn't a way to remove you from Pair Gains. If you apply for ADSL, and there is a way of removing the technology that's incompatible with ADSL (which we generally call Pair Gains), then that is done as part of the ADSL provisioning. The same thing happens whether you apply with Telstra or with another provider who wholesales the line from us. Sorry mate.

-Dylan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more