CrowdSupport®
GeorgeJohn
Level 1: Cadet

Broadband Speeds

Hi,

I just bought a new netgear dm111p modem from jb hifi. My cousin who is on the same telstra home broadband plan as me has a much faster Internet speed. we live in the same area the only difference being that he has a telstra modem. On speedtest.net I received 11.1 megabytes per second however my cousin got 35.3 megabytes per second. there was no one else using the connection for both tests, and they were both done through wireless connection. What is the cause for this massive difference in speed? Is it just down to the telstra modem? 

All contributions are very appreciated.

Many thanks

John

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Broadband Speeds

For him to be getting 35.3, he would have to be either on Cable internet... (or maybe an NBN connection with the $10 speed boost but more likely cable at 35.3)...

That modem you have listed is for ADSL, which even at its absolute most can only run at 24Mbps, however you need to be quite close to the exchange in order to have those speeds.

The plans are the same, however each different type has differnt speed capabilities. 

Cable Internet (HFC) has a standard speed of 30Mbps, with a maximum of 100Mbps.

NBN has a standard speed of 12Mbps, however Telstra sets its at 25Mbps. 

NBN maximum speeds range of the type of connection between 25-100Mbps...

ADSL which uses the Copper Phone lines and maxes out at 24Mbps

Velocity which was Telstra's private Fibre network they were creating which again provides speeds up to 100Mbps.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

GeorgeJohn

Hi,

First of all thank you very much for your post.

However, i can confirm atleast that he is definietly on your stock standard wireless. Speedtest.net shows 35.5mbs. But he only gets  3mbs when he acutally downloads. I only get 1mpbs on actual downloads. Is this down to the modem?

Thanks

Level 22: Superhuman

Hey Guys, Ill make your mouths water.........116 mb/s cable until the movie service started then dropped 10 mb/s

Don't think many are on this node!

But only 14 months ago was 1 to 5 mb/s a few streets away on ADSL top hat.  Awful!

Regards

Professor Phone

I'm not a Telstra employee.  I have been a mobile subscriber since 1963.

If my advice has been helpful, a Kudo  "tick"    would be most appreciated.

If my advice has solved your problem, please also mark it as a Solution.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

We aren't talking about the modem at the moment though,

If he is getting 35.5Mbps, that would suggest he is most likely on an HFC Cable Internet connection, which is different from an ADSL connection... Cable Runs over an Hybrid Fibre Cable (HFC) which is shared by Telstra and Foxtel and is used to provide Foxtel TV and Telstra's Cable internet service...

The Standard Cable one is the CABLE HOME NETWORK GATEWAY, and it will connect to their wall via a special Coax cable, rather than to their home phone...

Where as if you are using the modem you have listed that is an ADSL modem, which connects to the network via the Copper Phone Line...

He cannot have the same type of internet as you if you are on ADSL and he is getting over 25Mbps of speed, it is not possible...

If you are nearby you could try having a word with the Sales team to see if you have Cable Internet available, but you could use any modem in the world and will not get over 25Mbps on a standard ADSL connection... We are right next to the exchange and still struggle to get more than 20Mbps...

ProfessorPhone, with Speedboost, I saw 110Mbps on my old cable service, but that was at some ungodly hour, during peak time it sat about 70Mbps, which was still not bad Smiley Tongue
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Poorty
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hey Dude,

35Mbps - 35 Megabits per second

which equals about 3.5 megabytes per sec download speed

or 3500kb/sec

does that make sense?

GeorgeJohn

Thanks heaps for your help.
You have solved the mystery!
Cheers

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now