MJ123
Level 2: Rookie

Broadband outage Bentleigh 3204

Answered
We've had an outrage since mid day Friday. No communication of the cause and every deadline for resolution has passed with no improvement. Would love to know what's going on and when this will be fixed.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Broadband outage Bentleigh 3204

Looking at this outage, it appears that NBN Co have taken ownership of the network in your area, even if you are not yet on the NBN. As such, NBN Co are looking after the repair and the information available on https://tel.st/2g3mv reflects the information that we have available from them. We do not get to see details of the cause of the issue or the work that they are performing to restore services.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused by this outage and the extended estimated time of repair. I am confident that NBN Co will restore services as quickly as possible.  Once your service has been restored, you can request a rebate by contacting Billing or by following the steps shown in this link that shows how you can organise this online, without the need to call in.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 21: Augmented

It should be fixed within 5 business days. Internet is consider non-essential service and as such is usually being fixed only during business days. NBN, Telstra and other people want to enjoy long weekends too...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
WhyohWhy2
Level 1: Cadet

Hi MJ123. I'm in 3204 too, with Telstra cable (no NBN here yet). Service has been out since our power got shut down on Friday afternoon. It's been infuriating how the restoration of service dates are stated on the outage page and then keep getting pushed back and back. The outage page was saying since yesterday that resolution was 7pm tonight, but now it says "to be confirmed".
I just called support, and thye said it should have been by 7pm tonight, but wasn't. If I don't get a txt message by midnight tonight saying that it is fixed then I should click on a link they sent me. Apparently that will tell them that service is not restored and will trigger an escalation. Hardly likely!

Can you post back here if you get your service restored?
Level 22: Superhuman

Telstra techs do some internal work 7 days for general failures. Often... when an investigation starts they find some unexpected cause which often needs parts or referral to other departments.
Often restorations happen quickly and longer othet times.
NBN who now own and control most cables etc etc are the slowest factor
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Looking at this outage, it appears that NBN Co have taken ownership of the network in your area, even if you are not yet on the NBN. As such, NBN Co are looking after the repair and the information available on https://tel.st/2g3mv reflects the information that we have available from them. We do not get to see details of the cause of the issue or the work that they are performing to restore services.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused by this outage and the extended estimated time of repair. I am confident that NBN Co will restore services as quickly as possible.  Once your service has been restored, you can request a rebate by contacting Billing or by following the steps shown in this link that shows how you can organise this online, without the need to call in.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

MJ123

We seem to have internet now even though the outage page says not so perhaps there' s only a partial solution in place. My main complaint is around the poor communication and moving deadlines. Apparently this is NBN rollout related.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

When checking for outages, I can only search in the general area. It is possible that there is a more specific issue relating to planned works that I am not able to view without access to your service details. This is something that our Tech Support Team can check if you call on 1800 834 273 or use Live Chat via the Telstra 24x7 app.

- Shelly

MJ123

That's all very nice but their initial commitment was a fix by Saturday night. This then moved several times. You saying they have no staff working weekends? Clear communication as to the cause of the issue and a more accurate resolution date would have been great
MJ123

Thank you. I found out that this is NBN related after asking if it is on one off the numerous chats with Telstra support. Would have we wonderful to have been told this from the start
Highlighted
WhyohWhy2
Level 1: Cadet

Hi MJ123,

My interactions with Telstra were precisely the same as yours.  Very poor.  Moving deadlines.  No communication when deadlines passed.  Multiple phone calls with 20 min wait times.   The worst was on a Saturday when they told me if my service hadn't been restored by midnight I should call them and let them know their next deadline had passed!

In the end my service was out for 4 days, which represents 4/31= 12.9% of the month.  I just received my bill with a credit for 6.3% of the monthly cost, amounting to 1.9 days.

Back on the phone again.  Once NBN arrives I'll be seeking an alternative provider that has good service ratings, if such a provider exists. I'm done with Telstra, after 15 years.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more