CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
iedwards
Level 2: Rookie

Broadband stability issues

Answered

I have all manner of problems with my Telstra Broadband.

I am on ADSL 2+ and have separate lines for my phone and internet.

When I do a Speedtest I get an initial download speed of about 11 Mbps but within a few seconds this drops down to about 3 Mbps.

Telstra say that there are no known outages in my area.

Any suggestions please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Broadband stability issues

0.7-0.9 is normal for a good ADSL2+ connection. Sadly only in an NBN world will we be able to get decent upload speeds.

It is possible at the moment the peak congestion might be playing a part. A lot of ISPs are getting slammed with the release of Netflix, and their competitors Stan and Presto picking up steam. In my own area, I'm with iiNet, and my daytime speed is 15-20Mbps, however from 6pm I get 2-3Mbps at the moment.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13

The first thing you want to try is an isolation test. This helps rule out common causes within the home that can impact on speed and stability.

Are you able to provide a result from Speedtest.net and also your modem stats (sync, attenuation and SnR)?

Do you notice is happening mainly during peak periods (5-midnight and weekends)?

If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
iedwards

I will get the detail tonight when home and post it. How can I get the modem stats?

This can be found in your modem interface. If you know the model I can get step-by-step instructions for you if you aren't confident in it. I normally check Crowd Support later in the evening too (I'm not an employee) so if you don't know until you get home that's ok too.

iedwards

It is a Telstra Gateway Max

If you go to http://telstra.gateway on your computer.

I believe the direct IP address if that doesn't work is 192.168.1.254

Under the heading 'Broadband Connection' their should be an option for 'view more' under DSL Connection. This should show the stats.

This is from memory, as I don't have this modem myself.

iedwards

Hi

Here were the stats that you were after.  What do you think???

Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.25.12 pm.png

iedwards

This was my Speedtest result.  It seems better than last night.  Download speed was 9.22 but you can see from the graph how erratic it is.

Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 9.29.25 pm.png

Thanks for getting that info. Those modem stats look entirely fine. There is no slow sync speed or out of the ordinary attenuation/SnR which would normally indicate a physical line fault.

If you are syncing at 15Mbps then you would generally expect to get close to that with perhaps a small variation. 1/3 less than maximum is a bit slower than you would hope.

I'll be honest, the difficulty is that it doesn't look like there is a physical line fault you can report from the stats. You can double check to make sure there isn't any noise/static on the voice part of the line, but I doubt there would be. That leaves a customer service type complaint about slow speeds.

With that type of complaint you'll come up against the fact that generally speaking anything over 2Mbps is considered 'acceptable' for ADSL2+ and they will say to you that 9Mbps is a reasonable connection. I would however lodge the complaint, because they won't try and fix congestion unless they know about it.

Is there anyone home during the day who might be able to run a speedtest to see if the results are different during an off-peak period?

iedwards

Thanks Kalak, I actually tested it at 5.30am today and got a download speed of 12.5 and upload of 0.7. I'm happy with the download speed (although higher would always be better). Is there a need to increase the upload speed because I can't think of much that I would upload.
Is it the case then that peak times will cause such a big variance in speeds?
Accepted Solution

0.7-0.9 is normal for a good ADSL2+ connection. Sadly only in an NBN world will we be able to get decent upload speeds.

It is possible at the moment the peak congestion might be playing a part. A lot of ISPs are getting slammed with the release of Netflix, and their competitors Stan and Presto picking up steam. In my own area, I'm with iiNet, and my daytime speed is 15-20Mbps, however from 6pm I get 2-3Mbps at the moment.

iedwards

Thank you for all your informative assistance
iedwards

Actually, a further question. Would you stick with Telstra or go with Foxtel who offer double the data for a lower price (I have TV with Foxtel currently)?

No trouble at all. Thanks for getting the info we needed to work together on figuring it out!

In all honestly the Foxtel bundles are great value, especially when you consider they are using Telstra infrastructure to provide the service. If you are in a non-cable area then it's hard to argue FOR a higher priced Telstra bundle for the same products as you can get from Foxtel itself.

There have been a few teething issues as they are new to the ISP business, but overall the feedback I've seen from others has been pretty positive.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now