CrowdSupport®
ITExpert
Level 1: Cadet

Broadband topup not working

I have 3 free data topups remaining. As November usage was about to go over, about 4 days ago I logged in and requested a data topup. This did not provide any error message, but clearly did not work, because today my service has been slowed.

So I called Telstra, and they "ordered" a topup, and a confirmation email has been received. But the speed is still slow. Apparently, it takes 24 hours for the topup to work, even though when I login, the "you have been slowed" message has gone, and even though I have received the confirmation email.

THIS IS ATROCIOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE TELSTRA. Now I am unable to do my work at home today.

ALSO - YOUR CONFIRMATION EMAIL HAS AN ERROR.

It has a link to this address ....

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/home-broadband-data-top-ups

which does not work and instead goes to the generic support page ....

https://www.telstra.com.au/help-and-support

TELSTRA TO-DO:

Here is your list of fixes to get done today, if you are interested:

1) Correct your topup email. It has a link that does not work.

2) Fix your website, so that I can activate free data topup by logging in.

3) Fix your entire operation so that it does not take 24 hours for ANYTHING.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Broadband topup not working

Generally, almost all orders are processed within 15 min to 4 hours, the up to 24 hours is generally a worst case but it is always the listed time (better to set the longest expectation and be faster instead of the shortest and be slower)...

Restarting the modem can sometimes help it refresh its connection and can make it pickup the speed change faster.

On a side note, there have been issues with the top-ups, particularly on NBN for ages and still having the same issue obviously, so I wouldn't suggest holding your breath especially now that half the connections are unlimited and obviously don't need them.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Additionally Telstra is making alot of organizational changes in regards to number 3 on your list. You can find more information here https://exchange.telstra.com.au/t22-update-transforming-how-we-work/lLLP
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Support Team
Support Team

Hey ITExpert,

Thank you for your post, I am sorry to hear of this 24 hour delay to have the top up completed. This is a standard time frame for an order to provision, but we will pass on your feedback to look at having the itemised concerns above taken into account when reviewing our processes.

Has this data top up gone through now?

Thank you.
- Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Tony220

Hi guys I also have the same issue. Each time I have tried to use my free data top up it does not work. I then get on the chat and they say it will be working in 24 hours (I think this is to get me off the line)
It still does not work; so I have to call support and the support fix it after time on the phone.

I have to say this is the most frustrating experience I have ever had with a Telco; surely something as simple as a data top up should work seamlessly
I have put through another top up and guess what... yep it didnt work. Tried chat; they are too busy to talk to me. Can you guys get you act together please
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Tony220

Apologies for the delay in our reply and to hear of the frustration.

This is most certainly not the feedback we like to see coming from our customers.

Can I ask if you are still needing help with the mentioned problem on your account?

Please let me know so I can attempt to assist further.

- Stef

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Shane551

I have literally just had the exact same experience...

After unsuccessfully trying to apply a top up via the app and online, I used the online chat function to ask someone to do it for me. They advised that the order was processed and I got an email saying it had been activated. The online account also reflected this, yet my speed was still slowed.

I then spent and hour on chat with someone else trying to work out why, only for the issue to be escalated to an technician who may need to come to my home. As an aside I was also advised I may be charged for this service... seriously! Oh and when I was I asked to confirm my address I was given an address no even in the same state...

So was the issue resolved within 24 hours for everyone else?

I can't believe a company like Telstra can continue to get away with such poor service, probably only because Optus is just as bad...

I guess I'll just wait to see if the issue resolves.
Shane551

Edit:
24hrs later and speed has still not improved and I was not contacted by a technician.
Support Team
Support Team

Hey @Shane551

Sorry that your speed has not been restored since your top-up and I can see how frustrating this would be for you. We can chase this up for you. Did you have a reference number from your conversations about this?

Thanks

Hatcatmat
Level 2: Rookie

Where do I go to get a top up

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Hatcatmat,

You can view steps on how to access a top up for your service by visiting this link https://tel.st/axhln

Highlighted
Hatcatmat

I have had the same issue. Speaking and chatting online now to approx 10 people, hours of wasted time, and still my app doesn’t show the top up. They keep telling me it has been applied. I work from home and this causes me a lot of grief. Am now looking for another provider, not because their product is bad, but the customer service is non existent.
Hatcatmat

I have heard that Aussie broadband have really good customer service.
Hatcatmat

It all sounds easy but does not work

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now