Rankin
Level 2: Rookie

Broadband usage meter

Is there a problem with the Usage Meter - I have noticed over the last couple of months that the meter seems to be doubling up on what I actually use, so this week I upgraded from 25gig to 50gig and also installed a Net Guard to monitor all my download and upload actifity, so yesterday this showed I had used 2.2gig in total yet the Telstra usage meter when I checked this morning is showing 4958 (just under 5 gig).

I have no wi-fi connected and checked modem regularly to ensure there is no activity - have changed bigpond password recently to a very strong one, so would like to know why this is happening as I am being charged for data that I am not using - anyone else have this problem or any ideas what is going on ?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Broadband usage meter

Hey Rankin,

Very strange if your usage is being registered against your account incorrectly and if you feel this is the case then we can have a usage dispute started with the Technical Team. You will have to contact them on 133933 (24/7) and request that a usage dispute be started for your account. This will be escalated and assigned for further investigation. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Rankin

Contacted Tech. support and asked them to escalate to Usage Dispute - after some testing still showing that my Net Guard logs eg.. 164mb and next morning the Telstra usage meter says 605mb, so off they went and then I received a phone call from level 2 tech support who said they had the logs and would send them to me via email sothat I could compare the ip addresses and also download info with what I actually had downloaded, great I thought some positive action, spoke too soon - after 3 hours of receiving nothing (they said it was on the way when they called), I contacted Tech support again and went thru the long winded speil of the whole saga again and they went off to talk to level 2 - eventually they came back and advised me that they cant send me the logs I have to apply in writing to a locked bag in Melbourne - so end of the day I am no further ahead other than the large lump on my forehead from bashing it against a brick wall (joke).

So not sure if they have advised me correctly or not about the logs - as they dont want mine and seems I cant get theirs unless go thru this requesting in writing.

Maybe alternative ISP might be the answer as I am paying for something I am not getting.

My own investigations show that if modem left turned off there is no activity and the telstra usage meter is fine - but if I download anything it seems to double/triple usage.

Rankin

The plot thickens - there is def something amiss with Bigpond broadband usage meter (I bet there are hundreds of people affected who just arent aware - they should start checking).

On the 2nd March my NetGuard showed I used 164mb, when checked the Bigpond Usage meter 7am on the 3rd it showed I had used 605mb - hmmm ok, so just as a recheck logging into my account again at 7pm on the 3rd and checked usage for the 2nd - WOW - it was now showing 2.2gig - so the usage meter can up amounts used (or in my case not used) back in time.

Bigpond really need to get a handle on this and sort it out.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Rankin, 

Most monitoring programs like Net Guard, don't monitor all traffic through the modem they just record the traffic on the computer you have it installed on.  If you have other devices, smart phones, smart TVs,  tablets, other PC's, their usage will not be measured.  If you haven't already done this, you can install Net Guard  on your other devices and see if this picks up your missing data.

Please be aware that all recent usage can take up to 48 hours to update on the usage meter, it's not instant.  

But in the end, if you still believe that your usage is not being measured correctly, you can contact our billing team again and request for this to be re-looked at.  Advise them that you are willing to provide these records to the level 2 team and they might be able to provide you with an email to send the details to.

- Ben 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Rankin

I have all but stopped using my 1 lonesome PC (no wireless/games/smart tv etc, never had them in the first place) except for some email and a bit of newspaper reading - and I thought things had come right as very little useage being recorded - but WOW what a surprise today when I check - the internet fairies have been very active, particulary in the past - as now last Thursday the 5th has an added 5.5gig of unmetered usage - well I guess its unmetered so that cant be too bad for me, and considering I was out most of the day and PC turned off, that must be a record.

(At least the metered usage was correct with my own records) - things are looking up)

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now