snoop2
Level 4: Private Eye

CCTV remote access problem

Answered

Hi

After switching from Telstra's ADSL+ to NBN (FTTN) I am unable to view my HIKVision home IP security cameras remotely (4G or External Wifi). I can view the cameras only when connected to my home wifi.  

I changed port forwarding as per HIKVision instructions but this didnt work. I have just upgraded to the Telstra Smart modem Gen 2 - please can someone provide detailed instructions to enable me to view IP cameras remotely.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
snoop2
Accepted Solution

Re: CCTV remote access problem

Good news. I noticed the default IPv4 address was incorrect and the only way to change it was by resetting the NVR back o default settings. Now that the NVR is connected to the internet I can view the cameras remotely on my iphone via P2P apps.Woo Hoo!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
42 REPLIES 42
Level 24: Supreme Being

Is the light on the front of the modem green? If light is not green then could be running on 4 G backup if running on backup then port forwarding want work.

What make of Smart modem do you have? Is it the Technicolor or the Arcadyan? The Technicolor has ventilation holes in the sides.
snoop2

Hi Thanks for your response. The light is green. The modem is Arcadyan, although I had the same problem with the Technicolor modem as well

Have you checked that the ports are open at a site such as http://canyouseeme.org/ If ports are not open check the DVR GUI that the ports that the DVR has been set to use are the same as the ones port forwarded in the modem

Could you post the port forwarding rules you have set up? 

snoop2

Protocol TCP
Wan Port 8000
LAN Port 80
Destination IP 192.168.0.130

Why the different WAN and LAN port? Should normal be same.
snoop2

HIK advise settings should be as follows:
HTTP Port = 80
Server Port = 8000
RTSP Port = 554
HTTPS Port = 443

How should I set this up using the Gen 2 GUI?

Set up a separate rule for each port using same internal lan IP address. Some of those ports might use TCP/UDP as protocol.
snoop2

The Gen 2 GUI has 5 fields for adding port forwarding:
Application Name: "eg HIK DVR"
Protocol: TCP/UDP/BOTH
WAN Port: eg 8000?
LAN Port:eg 8000?
Destination IP: eg Local IP address of HIK DVR?

Is that correct? And add for each port in the previous reply?

Yes that is correct, Will have to use a different name for each rule
snoop2

I have added separate rules and names for each, saved and re-booted the router. I have checked if the ports are open on canyouseeme.org but it times out. Internet speeds <1mbs atm!! 3 green lights on the router so not sure what the problem is

You don't need to reboot modem when adding port forwarding rules for rules to take effect. They start working as soon as they are saved,

To check if the port forwarding rules are effecting speed could disable them by removing tick on the left of each of the rules.
snoop2

OK Back to reasonable speeds now (25Mbs) but still unable to see the service via canyouseemenow. What's do you suggest next?

Does the DMR have a static LAN IP address so that the DMR gets the same LAN IP address each time it connects to modem.

To set up a static LAN IP address for the DMR log into the modem and go to Advanced > Local Network > Static Leases

Enter a name in Hostname field eg DMR.

Enter MAC address of DMR

Enter LAN IP address of DMR

Click on add.

Also check that Firewall is set to normal.

snoop2

Confirmed firewall set to normal
Confirmed static LAN IP address for DMR created
Still can't see the ports on Canyouseemenow

How do you view the cameras on your local network? Do you open a WEB browser and go to http://192.168.0.130?

Do all the port forwarding rules have a tick on the left hand side?

snoop2

I view the cameras via a HIKVision app (iVMS-4500) on my iphone or ipad.

I don't recall seeing any indicator on the LHS for port forwarding rules but will check when I get home later today.
snoop2

Yes all the port forwarding rules have ticks on the LHS :-)
Support Team
Support Team

In that case, I recommend speaking with our Technical Support team about this. You can find them online via Live Chat here or over the phone on 133933.

Please let me know how you go.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Are you sure that your CCTV cameras use the ports you have set up?. You can check this in the app by going to Devices, tapping on one of the devices. It should show which port the device is using. The devices that was set up in the app by default used port 8800.

You could port forward all ports to the DVR by placing it in the DMZ (Advanced > Firewall > Firewall > DMZ) and then check if you can view cameras remotely.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

In the app, is it looking at the correct IP address? Your external IP address changed when you switched over to the NBN and the app may be looking at the old address.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
snoop2

Confirmed the app is set up to use port 8000. I also logged into the DVR and checked it has port 8000 in the configuration. I will try DMZ mode later today when I get home from work
snoop2

Yes it is looking at the correct IP address. I can view the cameras on my iPhone and iPad via the app when connected to home wifi. I can login to the DVR via my desktop PC (Mac) using safari browser, which confirms it must be a port forwarding blocking issue

The Technicolor modem that you had trouble with viewing cameras remotely when switched to NBN, is that the same modem that was used with ADSL connection when there was no problems viewing the cameras remotely?

snoop2

No. I had either the Technicolor TG587 n3 router with the ADSL connection, with no problems viewing cameras remotely.

When i switched to NBN I could not connect to Broadband with this modem so they gave me the Gateway Max 2 modem (TG799VAC) which connected to Broadband but cannot view cameras remotely. I recently replaced this with the Arcadyan Gen2 router as part of Telstra Catalyst trial.
snoop2

Ok I updated to enable DMZ mode adding the local address of the DVR. Unfortunately still can’t see ports on canyouseeme.org or view the cameras remotely

When you test if the ports are open at canyouseeme is the IP address on the canyouseeme the same as the Gateways WAN IPv4 address shown in the Gateway Basic > Broadband settings page?

Is the IPv6 status shown as connected or disconnected on the Basic > Broadband settings page?

snoop2

Yes the IPv4 address is the same as on the canyouseeme page, and yes status for both IPv4 and IPv6 is showing as connected

The fact that you have an IPv6 connection as well as an IPv4 connection on the WAN could be causing the problem. The old ADSL connection probably only had an IPv4 connection.

You could try disabling IPv6 on the LAN although I can't see that making much difference.

To disable IPv6 log into modem and go to Advanced > Local Network > IPv6 Enabled. Turn IPv6 Enabled off and reboot modem.

snoop2

Yep you were right - it didn't make any difference. Any other suggestions?
snoop2

Also, interestingly when I enable Remote access in the "Services' menu I am able to see port 8080 in canyouseeme!

You could try changing the Remote access port to 8000 and see if it open on canyouseeme. If the port is open on canyouseeme it would prove that the NBN link not blocking port 8000.

It is looking like the DMR is not listening on the ports you have port forwarded in the modem. Since connecting to new modem have you tried factory resetting DMR and setting it from scratch?

snoop2

I tried that but it says access denied - the port is preserved for other service.

The DMR must be listening on the ports I have port forwarded as I could view the cameras remotely via 4G and external wifi with the ADSL router previously to connecting to NBN. I am reluctant to factory reset the DMR as I think it is a network (Telstra) issue

In order to use port 8000 for remote management ithe port forwarding will have to be disabled.

It is unlikely to be a network issue as I am able to port forward port 8000 on my NBN FTTN connection. It is either the modem is not port forwarding the ports, due to a bug in the modems firmware or they have not been set up correctly, or the DMR is not listening on the ports.

The modem is new and I have been told that there is only 150 Arcadyan Smart Moem Gen 2 in use at the moment, so it could be a bug in modems firmware that was not picked up in testing. To rule out the modem have you tried reconnecting the TG799 modem and port forwarding the correct ports in that modem (Services > Port Forwarding )?

snoop2

I think I reported earlier that I could not get the port forwarding to work on the Gateway Max (TG799) router either, hence why I thought it must be a network issue....I will re-try tonight.
snoop2

I disabled port forwarding for port 8000 and enabled remote access using this port - I can now successfully see this port on canyouseeme! So now how do we translate this to successfully enable port forwarding?

Is the port forwarding rule you set up in the modem similar to the image below?

Smart_Modem_Gen_2_Port_Forward.JPG

snoop2

I tried reverting back to the tg799 but the router is faulty and not connecting to devices via Ethernet. It was replaced by the Technicolor DJA0230’ which interestingly automatically updates port forwarding rules when UPnP is enabled. Unfortunately However I cannot see any of these ports on canyouseeme! I even did a default reset of the router.
So I’ve reconnected the Arcadian. Could we organise you to remotely connect to the router and check the settings etc.

If you want me to check your settings you could send me a personal message with your public IP address, the port and password for remote access.

If the ports were autocratically port forwarded in the DJA0230 by UPNP and you still could not see them on canyouseeme then I still suspect that the DVR is not listening on those ports.

If you have an android phone or tablet you can install an app called IP WEB cam. By default it opens port 8080 when the server is transmitting video but this can be change to 8000. This app could be used to test whether the modem is opening the port by changing the existing port forwarding rule for port 8000 to point to the android device.

What model is the Hkvision DVR?

snoop2

Have sent you a pm
Highlighted

Have checked modem settings and can't see anything wrong with the settings.
I noticed in the manual that the DVR has two NICs. Are both NICs connected to modem? If both are connected try with only one NIC connected to modem.

You mentioned you can access the DVR on the local network using the app. Can you also access DVR on a WEB browser at http://192.168.0.130 https://192.168.0.130 and http://192.168.0.130:8000
snoop2

What are NICs?

Confirming I can connect to http://192.168.0.130 via a web browser, but not the other IP address you mentioned.
snoop2
Accepted Solution

Good news. I noticed the default IPv4 address was incorrect and the only way to change it was by resetting the NVR back o default settings. Now that the NVR is connected to the internet I can view the cameras remotely on my iphone via P2P apps.Woo Hoo!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now