CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
ankurss
Level 1: Cadet

Cable Broadband Speeds

Answered

Hi,

I am currently on bigpond ADSL and get about 5.5-6 Mbps download and 0.7 Mbps upload speed as per Speedtest. We have cable available at my premises but I was told that cable speeds are impacted by the number of people on the line. I live in Tintern Mews, Cheltenham VIC 3192 and here we have a lot of close homes (like units). I really would like to get faster internet and NBN is far far away. Any idea how I can check what speeds I will likely get ot anyone else in Tintern Mews is getting (there are 49 homes here) as the guranateed speeds on cable are pretty low.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable Broadband Speeds

Good morning ankurss, with these situations it's a bit like the old saying "Suck and See" I'm afriad.

Whilst there are published anticipated speeds for ADSL/ADSL2?cable and NBN etc., it can vary significtly due to a million different factors and on a connection by connection bassis.

Do a door knock, see who's connected nearby to cable and see what they think of it.

Below is a table of the maximum download and upload anticipated speeds based on access type

Technology

Maximum Download Speeds

Maximum Upload Speeds

ADSL

Up to 8Mbps

Up to 1Mbps

ADSL2+

Up to 20Mbps

Up to 1Mbps

Cable (base plan)

Up to 50Mbps

Up to 1Mbps

Cable (speed boost)

Up to 100Mbps

Up to 5Mbps

NBN Fixed network (base plan)

Up to 25Mbps

Up to 5Mbps

NBN Fixed network (Super speed boost)

Up to 100Mbps

Up to 40Mbps

NBN Fixed Wireless

Up to 25Mbps

Up to 5Mbps

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable Broadband Speeds

Good morning ankurss, with these situations it's a bit like the old saying "Suck and See" I'm afriad.

Whilst there are published anticipated speeds for ADSL/ADSL2?cable and NBN etc., it can vary significtly due to a million different factors and on a connection by connection bassis.

Do a door knock, see who's connected nearby to cable and see what they think of it.

Below is a table of the maximum download and upload anticipated speeds based on access type

Technology

Maximum Download Speeds

Maximum Upload Speeds

ADSL

Up to 8Mbps

Up to 1Mbps

ADSL2+

Up to 20Mbps

Up to 1Mbps

Cable (base plan)

Up to 50Mbps

Up to 1Mbps

Cable (speed boost)

Up to 100Mbps

Up to 5Mbps

NBN Fixed network (base plan)

Up to 25Mbps

Up to 5Mbps

NBN Fixed network (Super speed boost)

Up to 100Mbps

Up to 40Mbps

NBN Fixed Wireless

Up to 25Mbps

Up to 5Mbps

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit