CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Cable Internet down again

Answered

My cable (Not NBN) internet is down again in Sydney north - This is the 4th time down since 22/01/2020 and average duration of downtime is about 2 -3 days . Is anyone out there experiencing similar issue ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable Internet down again

If NBN are doing work in you're area that could be the cause. I've also seen some outages on the cable and NBN cable services due the bad weather.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If NBN are doing work in you're area that could be the cause. I've also seen some outages on the cable and NBN cable services due the bad weather.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I am asking whether anyone is having the same issue like me not the really asking the guessing reason on how & why - The explanation would have to come from Telstra, wouldn't  ?

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Cable internet down for for 5 days in Runaway Bay Gold Coast. Scheduled Maintenance apparently. We received no notification if was going to be down and it has affected our business. This is why we have moved our mobile services to another carrier and will be doing the same with our internet shortly. The arrogance of these big companies is beyond a joke. 

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Unfortunately, that won't fix the service issue with your Cable Internet (as it is all NBN Co infrastructure, so it is the same maintenance for everybody connected to that part of the network).

"Planned" maintenance from the NBN Co side of things isn't really that and it seems to be carried out on a whim. It's very rare to get prior notification no matter who you are with (my NBN connection is not with Telstra and I don't get notifications about "Planned Maintenance" most of the time either).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hey Jupiter do you work for Telstra?
I did get notification from Internode at my other business location so that’s not true.
My internet is still down (10 days and counting). They sent me a Telstra smart modem with 4g back up which we got last Friday. It has already been throttled - apparently the 4g back up is only good for short periods. Had a look at the outage situation and its now saying expect network maintenance between February 19th at 06:00 AM and Tuesday, March 3rd at 07:00 AM......the saga goes on and on. I put in an official complaint on the 13.02.20 but no response yet - go figure. Do to the lack of clarity and further interruptions planned I’ve contacted TIO, I’m sick of getting nowhere.

Warning - partial rant ahead.   My cable internet service has been down since 4th Feb (14 days so far).  Each time I phone Telstra I get a different, vague, reason why.  The outage page is simply a joke - each day or so it resets to another week to go - the reason is always 'under investigation' and the last time updated is always the time the page loads.  (If you want to see how it can be done, just contrast this with the timeliness and level of detail available on Ausgrid's outage page, twitter feed and facebook page). 

Doing my own research suggests that, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the outage is due to NBN works going on in my street/suburb.  But Telstra either don't know this (surely they do?) or simply won't admit it to me.  And I certainly received no prior warning.

I also have the smart modem with 4G backup but of course that is also almost useless too as, presumably, everyone else in the area is trying to use it as well.  And when it does work, half the applications I try to use won't load properly anyway.  Yes, the 4G backup apparently has a 30GB limit - but if it gets throttled just call them (yes, another 20+ minutes, I know) and they'll refresh it - in fact mine refreshed automatically this last time along with a text to say so.

It's ironic isn't it that the NBN work that is likely causing this is happening because the NBN is coming to my area next month and I will be forced to give up my beloved(!) cable and transition to the NBN.  I wonder which provider I'll be choosing (not).

Highlighted

THEY are forcing us to move from cable to nbn. My son has a defribulator on his heart connected via internet. Now in order to avoid outages ive got a smart hub for Telstra air if needed. So now that's not working because they've suspended my account before the end of billing cycle which is in credit! Refused to re in-state my services even after I out of emergency agreed to nbn, as the app said that is what i needed to do. I am so disappointed with them. 

Highlighted

Internet always down 

extremely slow

im on the unlimited and fastest speed 

please help!!!!!

i babe 4 children homeschooling and I’m working from home 

we are desperate 

Highlighted

We are in a similar situation here in Sydney freshwater. The cable network is down since 8 days. The 4g fallback is a joke so I have to tether through my phone which killed 30 of 60gb in one week. One more week and I am unable to work. This is absolutely unacceptable, as soon as this whole virus madness is over I will be changing my provider and prioritise service and communication in my decision. 

Highlighted

This sounds eerily similar to my situation. We are in the middle of our 3rd outage in 3 weeks (first outage was about 3 days, 2nd was nearly 2 full weeks and now it has just gone out again).

Interestingly we recently received a number of flyers saying NBN is now available in our area (Freshwater).

I'm losing my mind because there is nowhere to log a fault online (someone please tell me if I am missing something!) and I have wasted massive amounts of time sitting on hold with Telstra support (on 2 occasions I was on hold for over 1.5 hours, and one of those times I was disconnected at the 2 hour mark with a simple recorded message "we cant help you at this time".

When I now try to call support, I am told they arent open yet.

I found the "call me" option in the 24x7 app a few weeks back and had some success with getting through to someone, but it now seems to have been removed???

This is a farce.

Highlighted

It’s been still an ongoing issue but something has changed. We technicians coming to or building (more neighbours had the same issue) with various outcomes. In my case the signal strength was extremely low. My neighbour s technician installed an amplifier which somehow fixed his internet. Another neighbour miraculously got his internet back but failed again so he called Telstra again and they suggested to switch the ends of coaxial cable, stretch it out remove all bends. Guess what, it worked. I tried it out as well and my router turned green from being blue (4g fallback) since 3 weeks. So why did that happen to all parties in the building and it took 10 phone calls to find this one Telstra worker who knew this.

Highlighted

Well, it dropped again after 5h of sweet internet. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit