CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
jojamwil
Level 4: Private Eye

Cable Internet keeps dropping out

Answered

I've been on Bigpond Elite Liberty 200gig Cable since May 2010. We constantly get drop outs. I have spoken to Bigpond technical numerous times but it really hasn't helped and the problem continues. It was suggested by the techos that the problem was the wireless channel we were using and to keep changing it until we 'found' the right channel. Tried this a couple of times, but ran out of time and enthusiasm.

We are wireless and have the following:

4 laptops

2 smart phones

1 xbox

and have just added 3 ipads.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern except sometimes when the xbox is going full bore, the drop outs happen more often. That said, when it's just two laptops or even one, the drop outs still occur not just as often. These dropouts happen most days.

Is there a limit on the number of connections ?

While it may be device overload, is this caused by hardware failure or something else. We are in Brisbane.

When the dropouts occur,  lights 3 and 4 on the modem are flashing together.

Help please Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable Internet keeps dropping out

Due to the unit rebooting because of a full NAT table does in fact warrant replacement to a newer "more reliable" model under warranty.

I can see that the unit is rebooting sporadically due to this exact issue (from the modem log that you have posted), and it should be upgraded to a more suitable model (CGD24N), this does not mean that Telstra/Bigpond will replace it, free of charge, but you may argue that the unreliability of the unit, is the main factor (they should supply a reliable unit) that does not reboot, or has the ability to turn off NAT so you can add a separate router to your network to alleviate these reboots.

While I also agree with Drat, I do believe that if your ISP can't provide an "always on" connection as Cable is supposed to be, they should replace the unit with a model that is much more reliable, or a model that has settings in the firmware, that can alleviate these dropouts (Bridged mode/Disable NAT).

Contact Personal live chat (front page of CrowdSupport, to your right) and have a talk to one of the operators and see if they are willing to replace this faulty unit, if not please contact me via PM and I can advise further.

If they do agree to replace the unit, you will pay the $9.95 delivery fee as this is not negotiable.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
55 REPLIES 55
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

When your internet connection drops out, do you need to "reconnect" to the wireless network?

If so, then this is a Wireless issue, and not an issue with the Cable Service.

Can you try running only 1 computer via a network cable to the modem to see if the dropouts cease at all?

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

jojamwil

Hi Ben, having just one device in this household is extremely rare especially during school hols... lol

Although, I'll give it a try.

I guess we do have to reconnect to the wireless network each time.

What happens is

1) Comes up no connection

2) when you look at the available networks, it shows all the connections in the neighbourhood including mine (which is at full strength)

3) Lights 3 and 4 are pulsing on the modem

4) we reset the modem (turn it off and on)

5) we reconnect

This can happen with any combination of devices. The only common denominator is the modem. I guess that means that it's probably not the cable service but the modem (?) so in that case do we need a new modem or just less devices ?

thanks Jo

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@jojamwil wrote:

Hi Ben, having just one device in this household is extremely rare especially during school hols... lol

Although, I'll give it a try.

I guess we do have to reconnect to the wireless network each time.

What happens is

1) Comes up no connection

2) when you look at the available networks, it shows all the connections in the neighbourhood including mine (which is at full strength)

3) Lights 3 and 4 are pulsing on the modem

4) we reset the modem (turn it off and on)

5) we reconnect

This can happen with any combination of devices. The only common denominator is the modem. I guess that means that it's probably not the cable service but the modem (?) so in that case do we need a new modem or just less devices ?

thanks Jo

Hi Jo,

That does appear to be a Modem issue, not a service issue.

Can you tell us what sort of Modem you currently use? EG: Netgear, Cisco, Motorola etc.

I'm not a cable expert, but I've heard bridging the modem with another WiFi device can sometimes help. I'll leave this up to the more experienced to give you information on though Smiley Happy

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

jojamwil

It's a Netgear.

jojamwil

any further suggestions ?

thanks

Level 22: Superhuman

We are wireless and have the following:

4 laptops

2 smart phones

1 xbox

and have just added 3 ipads.

…‹snip›…

Is there a limit on the number of connections ?

Everything in IT (software or hardware) has a finite limit, of course, but if you're able to connect all of the above concurrently over Wi-Fi to your wireless router, then it's not an issue of reaching or exceeding the limit to the number of connections.

Network performance and reliability, as variable functions impacted by the number of active concurrent connections, is a logically different issue. At what point does the number of connections and/or the aggregate amount of network activity bring the performance and/or reliability of the wireless network below a level you'd deem acceptable or usable? We don't know and can't know that, since that kind of information is not published by the equipment manufacturer.

any further suggestions ?

Personally I wouldn't want to connect ten or more devices on Wi-Fi to a residential grade wireless router all in the 2.4GHz band, anyway. If your Netgear cable modem/router is capable of being put into bridge mode (the CG814WG cannot, while the CGD24N can, as far as I know), I'd suggest you do so, and connect it to a competent dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 802.11n wireless router. The iPads can connect to the 5GHz network, and most likely at least a couple of your laptops and smartphones have the capability; the rest can connect to the 2.4GHz network. Spreading the load that way should make for better network performance and reliability.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
jojamwil

Thanks Drat for your input.

Some more background on this problem. We have had this issue, but to a smaller extent, since the day I had the service installed. At that stage, there were 3 laptops only. The dropouts were less frequent but still occurred. And they occurred with only one device connected.

So while your suggestion in regards to getting a router and splitting it all out makes sense, I don't believe it will address the fundamental problem which is a broadband service which drops out on a regular basis. I certainly agree than many devices adds more load to the modem, hence my question in regards to 'is there a maximum number of connections'. The dropouts are occurring more frequently since the iPads arrived, but they aren't the problem as the this has been happening since the beginning. And I don't think the number of devices we have, while on the high side, is anything other than fairly average these days based on my friends and colleagues homes. And if you go by past Telstra ads, it's something that the service should handle. Anyway, while all those devices may be connected, we only have two hands while I am female and can do multiple things at once, the rest of the house isn't, so let's just assume that there are only 4 devices going at any one time.

So where to from here ?

From my experience, replace the piece of equipment that is common to all of this, which in this case is the modem.

In my numerous chats with the telstra technical staff in the past, I have asked for this, but have been fobbed off with being told it's the channel that the modem is using and keep changing it until you find one that works...or there's no problem that they can see and if they come out and there's nothing wrong, I will get charged. This pretty much guarantees I will go away.

So after two years of suffering with this problem, I've had enough and would like it sorted.

So unless someone can tell me categorically what the actual problem is and how to fix it, please can I have my modem replaced  and how do I go about getting that done ?

thanks Jo

It really does not sound to me that the problem is with the modem, Jo.

A wireless cable modem/router is logically and functionally a combination of three things:

• a cable modem that connects over HFC to the wide area network (WAN) – in this case, specifically the BigPond network;
  • a wireless access point, which allows devices to connect by Wi-Fi to the local area network (LAN) on your premises; and
  • a router, that allows traffic to pass from devices in the LAN to devices in the WAN and vice versa, as well as switch network traffic between the devices on the LAN, including wirelessly connected devices as well as those connected by network patch cables.

If there's a problem with the BigPond service and/or ‘the modem’ dropping out, then the ‘Internet’ transmit and receive indicators on the Netgear unit should not indicate any traffic (ie. no flickering).

Some users (including myself) have observed and/or reported issues to do with the routing capability of the Netgear units, but they tend to manifest as spontaneous rebooting of the units, in which case all the indicator lights will go out for about a minute and then gradually return to normal, one by one.

If the computer or other end-user device can ‘see’ your wireless LAN, but is unable to connect (or stay connected) to it, that sounds more like a wireless access point issue.

Of the three logical components, the cable modem aspect tends to be the most robust, in the Netgear units. By putting it in bridge mode, and using it with a separate wireless router, you'd be effectively relieving it of the responsibilities of acting as a router or wireless access point.

You can try asking BigPond to replace your modem unit under warranty, if you've had it for less than 12 months. I don't believe there is a high likelihood of it resolving your issue, however, and when push comes to shove, Telstra can most likely defend the position that the supplied equipment is fit for purpose for the BigPond Cable service, as described in section 2 in Part B – Cable of the BigPond Service section of Our Customer Terms. A two-door hatchback will get your from A to B, but not if you load it up with 10 passengers – and there is no implied promise or warranty that it will work under such exceptional circumstances.

Anyway, best of luck.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

I suspect that the issue here is that your are filling the NAT table, and the modems only way to clear the NAT table is to reboot.

Please advise what model modem you have (CGD24N, CG3100 etc), can you also post your modem (event) log.

Are you connecting everything to the modem, or do you have a separate router for these LAN/WiFi connections?

When you say lights 3 and 4, it that the numbered LAN lights, or is it the 3rd and 4th light on the modem face?

Awaiting your reply.

jojamwil

Hi Extreame,

it's  a CG814WG

the lights are 3 and 4 on the front of the modem (send and receive) and last time it dropped out, the lights were out, not flashing, so I may have been wrong in my original post

I am not using an intermediary device. Everything is connected to the modem.

This problem occurs more often these days with multiple devices, but it has occurred in the past wit only one device.

and here's the event log

TimePriorityDescription
 Fri Apr 13 10:54:01 2012   Warning (5)  DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response. 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response. 
 Thu Apr 05 22:25:30 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Wed Apr 04 07:53:07 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Mon Apr 02 08:37:36 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Sun Apr 01 10:56:48 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Sat Mar 24 14:17:29 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Sat Mar 24 07:08:24 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Tue Mar 20 07:10:59 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 

If it's a Netgear CG814WG, then I'm not at all surprised the router aspect sporadically causes the device to reboot, dropping all connections on each occasion it happens (although you shouldn't/wouldn't then have to manually intervene and reset or power-cycle the device), even if only just one device is connected to the LAN. (I had one, actually more than one if you count replacements of the same model, and I've also experienced that kind of lack of reliability.) Unfortunately, this model cannot be put into bridge mode, and if you've had it for approximately two years, then BigPond may not accept a warranty claim (yes, even a statutory warranty claim as opposed to a manufacturer's warranty claim), especially since it's a discontinued model – but there is no harm in asking anyway. I suggest you either get a Netgear CDG24N from BigPond (as either a new purchase or, if you're lucky, a free replacement under a successful warranty claim), or source an ex-BigPond Motorola SB5101 single port modem from somewhere like eBay – and then use either unit in conjunction with a good separate wireless router, in order to have a more reliable Internet user experience.
——

Accepted Solution

Due to the unit rebooting because of a full NAT table does in fact warrant replacement to a newer "more reliable" model under warranty.

I can see that the unit is rebooting sporadically due to this exact issue (from the modem log that you have posted), and it should be upgraded to a more suitable model (CGD24N), this does not mean that Telstra/Bigpond will replace it, free of charge, but you may argue that the unreliability of the unit, is the main factor (they should supply a reliable unit) that does not reboot, or has the ability to turn off NAT so you can add a separate router to your network to alleviate these reboots.

While I also agree with Drat, I do believe that if your ISP can't provide an "always on" connection as Cable is supposed to be, they should replace the unit with a model that is much more reliable, or a model that has settings in the firmware, that can alleviate these dropouts (Bridged mode/Disable NAT).

Contact Personal live chat (front page of CrowdSupport, to your right) and have a talk to one of the operators and see if they are willing to replace this faulty unit, if not please contact me via PM and I can advise further.

If they do agree to replace the unit, you will pay the $9.95 delivery fee as this is not negotiable.

Do bear in mind that warranty of a product does not extend to an effectively unlimited term, even (i) with respect to statutory warranty, which does not have a definite, quantitatively specified term, and (ii) where the product was acquired in the first place for the sole express purpose on accessing a service that is supplied ongoingly.

If Jo has had the Netgear CG814WG unit for two years as she has previously indicated, then unless she is still within a 24-month contract term that commenced at the same time, or prior to, the ‘purchase’ of the device (for which she may not have even paid in real dollars, after BigPond Broadband Offer device rebates, etc.), then it is most likely that even a regulatory body such as the ACCC would consider that any applicable warranty on the device itself has expired.

Even though such equipment is required for accessing the BigPond Cable service that the customer continues to be supplied on a recurring subscription fee basis, it does not then follow that the device is hence covered by warranty for three, or five, or ten years as long as the customer has not cancelled the service – the modem is not a leased service asset.

Obviously, BigPond may still offer a replacement free-of-charge out of ‘goodwill’ and at its discretion. I simply don't want to unduly raise her hopes or sense of entitlement.

——

jojamwil

Thanks guys for your thoughts and comments.

I will follow Extreame's suggestions and contact telstra and see what happens.

The only point I would like to make in all of this, is that this problem has been occuring since I had the service installed in May 2010, have repeatedly called technical support and been fobbed off. I've even had a site visit and been told that all is good. So as far as I can see this modem has been faulty since I got it, telstra has failed to deal with the problem and now I've finally got someone who can explain what is actually going on and I want it fixed. Hopefully the full history of my contacts is on my account for all to see. If the problem had only just started happening, well that would be negotiable but my personal view is that it was stuffed from day dot, so fix it.

I'll keep you informed as to how I go.

thanks again Smiley Happy

Ange1a
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Jo

Your story sounds exactly like mine except that our Internet also drops out and we have to get Telstra to start it again. Each time we contact support we go through the same story with people who dont grasp English very well, nor do they appear to be able to see that we have rung with the same complaint numerous times. You really do feel like they are trying to make yo angry! I would be interested to know your outcome as yesterday Telstra told us to change tha channel. When we asked how they told us to look it up on the net! That's service for you. Can you tell me how you did it and if you have eventually got your Internet working properly.
Thanks angela
AxelW

Yes, big fat 'Me-too!' Here. I'm a WAN/LAN expert (not working for telstra) and I can almost certainly tell you that the issue lies outside my premisis. I've a had a tech out here who just looked at the siganl strength and told me it must be a 'one-off' even though I kept reminding him that it goes down at 7am on the dot every day, and often cannot re-connect or sometimes hours. I always cold-boot my modem (it's not the NAT issue) and often times (like on the weekends) I can't connect or get connected for an hour (during which time I suffer immense &frequent lag-spikes while hosting games) and then I get booted again (and cant connect for hours) I'm sick of speaking to recorded messages and foriegn call-centers!! They do nothing but frustrate me further!! (who's genius idea was it to sell-out our call-centers??)Luckily I have a TPG unlimited (for hosing a webpage seperately) ADSL 2+ going to the same house and this is far more reliabe for a half the cost and no cap!! WHAT THE HELL TELSTRA?? MY family hold shares in this company, so I wont go any further....

BTW: I live in Brompton, SA Just incase (in the unlikely event) that we are all on the same/only P.O.P that has been over-sold bandwidth-wise.

Bloody fix it~ or hire someone who can (Like me :-) As this is absolutely disgracful !!

@AxelW wrote:

I'm a WAN/LAN expert (not working for telstra) and I can almost certainly tell you that the issue lies outside my premisis.

Comments like "I am a WAN/LAN expert" followed by "Almost certainly" are just fanciful and to be very blunt, on these forums are simply unprofessional and troll.

@AxelW wrote:

I always cold-boot my modem (it's not the NAT issue) and often times (like on the weekends) 

Cold boot?

And "not the NAT issue" sounds exactly what is going on.

@AxelW wrote:

BTW: I live in Brompton, SA Just incase (in the unlikely event) that we are all on the same/only P.O.P that has been over-sold bandwidth-wise.

Over sold - LMAO - I see that you are an ADSL person, who has no clue at all about Cable connections.

@AxelW wrote:

Bloody fix it~ or hire someone who can (Like me :-) As this is absolutely disgracful !!

Demands, demands, demands.

You say you are a "professional WAN/LAN expert" and you have an attitude like this, are you kidding me.

Unless you change your demands to questions, or specifically ask for help as you would like to be asked, please go and troll on some other forum, we simply do not need people who demand and troll here.

EDIT: I do apologise to everyone on behalf of all South Australians for the above post, we do not act like or treat people this way, unfortunately only some of us are disrespect.

seamuswarren
Level 3: Gumshoe

I think I'm having an almost identical issue down here in Sydney. Constant dropouts and the send/receive lights locking up and both flashing at the same time - as if they are cancelling each other our or something. I keep having to reboot the Netgear Gateway each time. I'm all wireless at home too. Just one desktop and AppleTV and the occasional laptop or two.

What model modem do you have?

Are you on the Elite or Ultimate plan?

Do you use a separate router for LAN and wireless capabilities?
seamuswarren

Residential Gateway Configuration for my NETGEAR CG814WG, which looks pretty-much the same as the log pasted in jojamwil's post:

TimePriorityDescription
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un... 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Wed May 23 02:23:12 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Wed May 23 01:02:03 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Fri May 11 19:42:32 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Thu May 10 18:35:17 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Thu May 10 13:42:30 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Thu May 10 10:30:37 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Wed May 09 05:04:19 2012   Critical (3)  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 
 Wed May 09 05:03:53 2012   Critical (3)  Init RANGING Critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted 
 Wed May 09 05:03:53 2012   Critical (3)  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 
 Wed May 09 05:02:52 2012   Critical (3)  Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un... 
 Wed May 09 05:02:20 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Wed May 09 04:17:17 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Wed May 09 00:12:33 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Tue May 08 19:22:09 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Tue May 08 15:00:45 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 
 Tue May 08 11:27:38 2012   Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ... 

Unfortunately, nothing can be done to elevate your dropouts without buying a new modem and separate router.

The issue you are experiencing is the NAT table fills to MAX and the only way the modem can clear it is to reboot.

This may happen several times per hour or day, depending on how many NAT tables you use.

You have the option to buy a Motorola SB510x series modem from ebay (second hand), they are rock solid modems (for Elite plan ONLY your current plan, but you cant upgrade to Ultimate with that modem, you will need to buy a new modem for Ultimate), and a separate router for all LAN and wireless capabilities.

You also have the option to upgrade to the Ultimate plan (100Mbits) and you will get a new modem that way (Netgear CG3100 with NAT disabled), and buy a separate Gbit router for LAN and wireless capabilities.

This will be the most reliable setup (reboots will cease) either a single port modem with a separate router for Elite plan (your current plan) or for upgrade from Elite to Ultimate (30Mbits to 100Mbits) and they will send a new modem to you for $149, then you will also need to buy a separate Gbit router for LAN and wireless capabilities.

Let us know what you choose to do.

seamuswarren

Hello and many thanks for the detailed and helpful response. Smiley Happy

The 30mbit Cable Elite plan seems fast enough and I looked up two Motorola SB510U modems on eBay that going pretty cheap.

Would an SB510U suffice or does it have to be the "X" - the Motorola SB510x?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Motorola+SB510&_sacat=0&_odkw=SB510&_osacat=0

(I think for nine dollars more per month I might as well go for the Ultimate plan. Still thinking about it.)

Your welcome, we are here to advise to the best of our knowledge.

No you have missed the series numbering, "x" means the series, which could be either "0" (SB5100) or "1" (SB5101).

The letter/s proceeding the model numbers are of insignificant/irrelevant, so "i" means it has a standby button on top of the unit and "U" means it does not have a standby button on the top of the unit (always on).

The best search is here (SB5101) - http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=sb5101&_sacat=See-All-Cate...

Any of these modems will be a fantastic choice, make sure that you ONLY buy within Australia (Telstra/Bigpond or Optus), as any modem bought oversea's will NOT work on our HFC network.

Please remember that with this modem, you will need a separate router for all routing (LAN and wireless), this will give you the ability to add/connect further devices to the Internet.

We recommend the Netgear WNDR3700 or above and Asus RT-55U or above (both being 1Gbit routers).

Feel free to ask any questions, NO question is regarded as "stupid" or "dumb" Smiley Wink

seamuswarren

I've got a "Time Capsule" I'm not using. I think it's a Gigabit router.

Just gotta think about upgrading to Ultimate.

I gather the NAT cannot be disabled on my NETGEAR CG814WG?  Are these modems of any use to anyone?

seamuswarren

On the 'phone to Telstra Support right now. 35 minutes on a mobile 'phone going through the troubleshooting process. Smiley Sad
seamuswarren

They are sending a technician out to my place between 1 and 7 pm but I won't be home until after 520pm.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Does the issue happen on ethernet?
jojamwil

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your modem Seamuswarren.

Thanks to Extreame's fantastic help and advice, my problem went away after I purchased  a motorola modem and a Netgear wndr4500 router. It was plug and play and it now works a treat and I'm very happy.

However, last weekend I decided to upgrade to Ultimate. Now, unfortunately, having problems getting connected as my CG3100 modem isn't activated (won't mention the rest of the problems with the bundle... sigh). After two phone calls, and a chat with several people on 24/7, I have to wait until someone contacts me tomorrow to activate it. So I have reconnected the old one and now wait for the activation. Fingers crossed that this is the problem and it all gets fixed.

The advice here is great and I wish you luck getting your problem fixed asap.

jojamwil

Hi Ange1a, just saw your post. If you have the same modem as I had, then the problem and solution is as extreame has said. Modem nat table fills up and you have to reboot. Nothing to do with channel. The only solution is to purchase a second hand modem on ebay and a router or upgrade to ultimate and get a new modem and, if you want, get a router as well. 

Since I followed extreame's advice, not one dropout. Good luck.

seamuswarren

Yeah, I also just upgraded to the "Ultimate" plan due to the financial incentive and the new modem will be with me in about five days. Smiley Happy
seamuswarren

Yeah, my Gateway's "Online" light is pretty constant and the Event Log looks pretty-much same as yours did.

Telstra want to send out a technician on Monday because the Suppport guy reckons there is a bigger issue than just the full NAT table filling as I kept trying to emphasize. Smiley Happy

Support added a diagnostic was showing lots of  "red lights" - which I gather was a bad sign - having requested I turn off the modem and disconnect the coaxial cable for thirty seconds to assist with the tests.

Next I was instructed to reconnect and power-up the modem and also to reset it.

Seems to be running okay for now but I have noticed more issues in the Residential Gateway Configuration:

Event Log

TimePriorityDescription
 Fri Jun 22 11:55:15 2012   Warning (5)  DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response 

Jo

The problem with Ultimate (usually) is that it takes some time for your account to be transferred to Cable 3.0.

When this account upgrade is complete, you will be able to provision the modem on the captive portal.

As always, any issue's, please just yell out (Jo, you may PM me about your issue, if you choose).

seamuswarren

The Elite Liberty plan is fast enough for me but a support person said I could upgrade to an "Ultimate" 200GB plan for something like $79 or $89 per month because I had been with Bigpond for more than two years. My thought was that I might as well upgrade to the high speed plan and get a new gateway in the process and hopefully eliminate the current "NAT" issues (lately the Gateway has been more stable... but it never lasts.) So I was given an order number and everything and started waiting for the new modem/gateway.

Around five weeks after this initial call I called Telstra to find out why it was taking so long for the upgrade to be provisioned.

The customer service person said my order had been cancelled and three attempts were made to notify of this by 'phone. The reported reason for the cancellation was something like "lack of coverage" but I suspect they misquoted the montly fee which should be more like $109 per month for a 200GB plan... I think. Smiley Happy

When I spoke with Tesltra last week they said "Ultimate" is available in my area so I applied for the upgrade once again... this time I was quoted a higher monthly fee of $109 or whatever it is - no special loyalty discounts. Smiley Happy

So, I just ran the set up CD and hooked up the Netgear 3100 Gateway as instructed, but the process stalls at the registration stage. Contacted customer support - a forty minute mobile 'phone call at which point I ended the call. Support called me back minutes later and I spent another forty minutes or so in a fruitless exercise in support. Everything's probably working fine but the new plan is not yet provisioned. Anyway, the support was escalated and I should expect a call within four business days.

I should have just bought a bloody motorola as was suggested in this thread over a six weeks ago. Smiley Happy

Once the account is switched to Cable 3.0 you should have no issue's.

Keep us updated.
seamuswarren

...still waiting...

Unable to register the 3100:

"The following items require your attention before proceeding:
• The details entered have not been recognised. Please check you have entered your BigPond Broadband username and/or password correctly and try again. If you continue to experience difficulties please call 13 POND (13 7663) quoting reference number CCP0008."

A support person is calling me - again - at 1730 to practice typing my password at the registration page. I know my password and I know it's not working.

I reckon it's time to withdraw the application and send the modem back to Telstra, but I hesitate because of a fear I might be missing out on snappy internet speeds. Smiley Happy Too bad we can't try before we buy. :/

Is "Ultimate" cable much of a step up from the "Elite" cable plan? Thanks. Smiley Happy

In reply: @seamuswarren

A 'CCP0008' reference is usually an issue on the walled garden (captive portal) where the input details does not match the account.

It is probably a good idea that they contact you and go through the process with you.

Let us know how you get on.
seamuswarren

"Extreame", you seem to be the only person who knows anything. Smiley Happy

"Pinky" from Support has been for weeks relaying a communication between myself and other higher level support personnel within the organisation who provide the same response each time - that I need to check my username and password.

My username and password appear to work fine when I hook up the old Netgear CW... modem and log in to "MY BIGPOND" where it is reported I am still on the Elite Liberty plan.

The same username and password don't get me past the signon/registration page when I hook up the new Netgear "3100" gateway.

Same username and password each time. Smiley Happy

I have also tried - without success - to log in from another computer.

Thank you. Smiley Happy

seamuswarren wrote:

My username and password appear to work fine when I hook up the old Netgear CW... modem and log in to "MY BIGPOND" where it is reported I am still on the Elite Liberty plan.

The same username and password don't get me past the signon/registration page when I hook up the new Netgear "3100" gateway.

How about a totally wild suggestion, then: change your password in My BigPond – since you are able to log in there successfully – and see if the new password works when you put it into the captive portal (after it has had a chance to sync, just in case they use physically separate databases, so allow a few hours).

† I don't know if they do or don't.

——

In reply: @seamuswarren

Do you know what the exact error message was when you where provisioning the modem in the captive portal? Is it still the 'CCP008"?

Usually, these messages can give some indication on what the issue is, and yes I understand that most customers have no idea what they mean and in most cases neither does the support team, and takes someone from activations (who understand what the error messages mean) to sort out these problems.

Have you contacted activations? Or has no one told you that this section is available to customers?

MyBigpond will report Elite, even if you have changed the plan to Ultimate, and can (in most cases) not change until the modem is provisioned.

However, it seems that the modem provisioning step is the issue here.

If you have tried provisioning, has it ever said it has passed provisioning and asked you to reboot both PC and modem, or has it simply not passed the captive portal registration at all?

I suggest that you call Bigpond and ask for activations, talk to them about what is happening, do change the modem and try to provision it with them on the phone, they should be able to see in the walled garden provisioning application what is going on with your setup/connection and offer further advice from there.

I do not suggest that you change the password in MyBigpond until you have spoken to a rep in activations.

Please, keep us updated on how you get on Smiley Happy

seamuswarren

Can't log in to My Bigpond or My Account and the Cable Elite is online intermittently. Smiley Happy 

Not sure if the cable dropouts are due to an earlier "NAT" issue or a recent upgrade to Apple's "Mountain Lion".

I keep ending up at square one because they don't understand what a Reference number is in order to look up the past notes on this ongoing issue.

A first level support person today advised the modem was still in provisioning and I should contact billing.

EDIT: **bleep**! The Cable Elite speed is flying today...  when it's not dropping out.

awmeyer

How did you get on????

i am trying to order an Ultimate modem at the moment.

this has been a great thread to read.

i now feel like i have found my support group!!!

i have had exactly the same problems and the same frustrations!!!!!

we have added a lot of devices to our home and i'm hoping the Ultimate modem will fix all these issues.

Aaron

In reply: @awmeyer

What are the exact issue's that you are experiencing with ordering Ultimate?

Also, explain what your issue's are with all these extra devices? On your current Elite plan.

Looking forward to your reply Smiley Happy

awmeyer

Hi Extreame,

I have read and liked your replies in this thread.

We where having constant dropouts with our cable Broadband. (something we thought would be a rare thing being cable)

we have the negear gateway down stairs and I have wireless access point upstairs to eliminate blackspots and poor signal upstairs.

Lights on the modem would just go crazy.

Everything kept dropping out ipads, computers and even the access point.

I couldn't print and actually had to install and reinstall drivers everytime after a drop out if I wanted to print.

I even connected 1 computer wireless and another LAN at the same time and still had dropouts from the LAN connected computer.

I finally had a service call last week.

My line was checked and given the OK.

He agreed that my modem wasn't functioning properly and replaced it.

Service is a lot better and printer is working well now.

However we are still experiencing dropouts, although not as frequent.

The access point/router also drops out and I have to do a soft start to to get it connected again.

We have 5-6 computers (2 connected wireless majority of the time, the others only occasionally)

4 ipads (2-3 usually connected)

2 printers connected

I have now also connected Foxhole, Tv, playstation to the access/ router point.

I assume I am possibly running 2 many devices for the netgear Elite router which is why I wanted to get the Ultimate Modem.

My problems in ordering the Ultimate has been one of call centres/transferring to departments etc, etc.

I know have an order place but have been told it will take 15-30 days have this.

What do you think??

In reply: @awmeyer

If you are talking about the CGD24N, then yes I agree that the issue is clearly this unit due to the NAT issue's it has.

Once the NAT table is full, it needs to reboot to clear it, and once it is clear, rebooted, the NAT table starts to fill again (too many devices), the process starts over and repeats.

Why oh why did the tech not give you a CG3100D-2 while he was there?

I do recommend that you upgrade to the CG3100D-2 (and Ultimate if you think you need it), and it should take around the time you have stated. You should get the modem delivered within 7 to 14 days and should be able to provision it as soon as you get it.

You need to understand that the media server on the CG3100D-2 (the USB ports) are NOT to add a printer too, it is not a print server, and you will damage the modem if you plug in the printer to these USB ports (front or back).

I strongly suggest that you invest into a print server, or start sharing the printers over your network so other users can print to it, I can definitely help with that.

If you need any further advice, please feel free to reply Smiley Happy

Cow

Hello All,

Its quite clear from many forums that the Telstra supplied Netgear CGD24N v2  is a pretty bad route and the NAT table fills up and the router reboots repeatedly putting you off air for a minute quite often. (due to a small NAT table and bad firmware on this Wifi-Modem-Router)

It seems the newer modem Telstra supply, the Netgear CG3100D-2 is a bit better but also finally fills the NAT table and reboots.

This being the case and that both routers are great Modems but bad Routers and Wifi units the best solution is to keep the Telstra router but go into it via internet exporer and use  http://192.168.0.1/  then use admin/admin then go to the NAT tab on the left and chose OFF then hit Apply , this turns your Telstra CGD24N v2 into normal Cable Modem and your dropout issues should be gone.

The problem now is that you have no WIFi or Routing capabilities, to solve just spend $79 on a TP-Link TL-WDR4300 WiFi Router and run an ethernet cable between your Tesltra Modem to this units WAN connector. Then unplug your PC from the Telstra Modem and connect the PC's LAN ethernet cable to the new TP-link router in any of the 4 x spare ports.

Now you have a good working Telstra Cable Modem, and a fast router with excellent dual band WiFI with great range.

This is what I just did and its working fine, now very happy.  

Hope this helps

Cheers

Cow

Cow

Three weeks now and still working perfectly !
AussieCable

@Cow wrote:
Three weeks now and still working perfectly !

Glad you found a solution Smiley Happy

Greg61

I've got a NetGear CG3100D-2 and are experiencing constant lags and disconnects.

I read reference to the NAT Tab but dont see that when I login.

Any suggestions to resolve?

AussieCable

@Greg61 wrote:

I've got a NetGear CG3100D-2 and are experiencing constant lags and disconnects.

I read reference to the NAT Tab but dont see that when I login.

Any suggestions to resolve?

It is not 'NAT' tab, but 'NAT Mode' under Maintenance in the GUI.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now