CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Skogpingvin
Level 2: Rookie

Cable Modem swapping - taken 8 weeks so far

Answered

I've been looking around this forum to see if other people have been having similar problems to this.  It seems they have. I've got a problem with swapping my cable modem.

We have an old CG814WG modem that we got about four years ago. About six months ago the modem fell off the table and the aerial got damaged (but it still worked) so we decided it was time to get a new modem. I went through the system to order a replacement and on 24 April 2013 we got another Netgear, this one is a CGD24N.

We swapped the routers over (on 27 April) and fired it up, and got to the captive portal fine.  We gave the new MAC address and waited.  And waited.  After a couple of hours we called cable tech support who had us go through the process again, to no avail.  He then told us he'd have to get a tech to look into it and it'd be a few days. In the meantime we could swap the modems back and the Internet would work again.  When the new MAC address got registered we'd lose the connection, and then we'd know to swap to the modem and all would be fine.  On 29 April we got an SMS saying there were problems and they'd get back to us. On the 2 May we got an SMS saying it was all fine, but then on 6 May we got an SMS saying there were more problems again.

By the 3 June we were beginning to wonder what was going on, so I called the tech support again. After going through the script again, swapping the modems and attempting to register it again and failing, he sent us to the activations department. The tech there told me it was a problem with the captive portal, and it, for some reason, wasn't allowing any traffic, even though the MAC address was correctly registered. He was going to escalate the problem and they'd SMS me within 48 hours.  Once again, he said we could swap the old modem back so we can get an Internet connection.

On 3 June we got an SMS confirming that they were working on the problem. On the 5th I got a voice call saying they were still working on it, but I didn't get much information as the call was very poor quality and the tech had a strong accent.

It's now the 15th of June and another two weeks has gone by with no progress. I'm not sure what to do now.  I'm worried that because we have a working Internet connection Telstra has been fooled into thinking the problem has been solved.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Skogpingvin
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable Modem swapping - taken 8 weeks so far

Got a phone message from Shelly this afternoon, telling me to go ahead and swap over the routers. Fired up the computer to find that the old modem is tied to the captive portal - looking good so far! Connected up the new modem to find it's working like a charm. I don't know what the problem was, but once Shelly got onto it, it took only a couple of hours to fix. Thanks Shelly!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Skogpingvin,

Waiting 8 weeks to swap a modem is definitely not the experience we want our customers to have.  It's great that you can still use your old modem in the interim; but I agree, your issue is not resolved until we get your new modem up and running.

I will send you a private message with a link where you can securely provide your account details. If you could also include the MAC ID of the new modem this will help to get this resolved quickly for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Skogpingvin

Private message sent: ref #130617-029252
Skogpingvin
Accepted Solution

Got a phone message from Shelly this afternoon, telling me to go ahead and swap over the routers. Fired up the computer to find that the old modem is tied to the captive portal - looking good so far! Connected up the new modem to find it's working like a charm. I don't know what the problem was, but once Shelly got onto it, it took only a couple of hours to fix. Thanks Shelly!

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now