da906
Level 2: Rookie

Cable Tap Upgrade

We asked for a Cable Broadband Connection to our home. A great deal being offered and very excited considering our poor ADSL service. Completed purchase online, Promises made, installation arranged, Waited at home, Tech finally turned. Very disappointed to be told in first 30 seconds that install cant go ahead? Tech then sat in truck for an hour then returned to advise 21 days for equipment upgrade. Received a call later that day to advise works will cost me $500 or job cancelled?? Spent 4 hours on phone with 6 depts advising me that no problem with install until last 5 mins of TELSTRA CABLE advising me this is my issue. Pay or no go??? The connection is actual 10m from house, The issue isn't mine due undersized connection point. Our ADSL is crap, no NBN in site but I have to pay on top of the included install price because Telstra can. Spoke to local Telstra shop who advised that they have never heard of this but they cant help. WTF????? Only hope this gets t others in the same situation. The best thing is that I have 15 Business services with Telstra. Had a bad time with all of them. Re contract time and I guess its time to find another provider I think. Dave. Bloody Disappointed

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Cable Tap Upgrade

Connection to the cable network can incur charges to be connected, if there isn't an existing lead in connection available.
I work for Telstra Platinium, Smart Home & Trades Assist as Premium Tech Support.
I'm a Telstra Employee, here in a Personal Capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.
da906

Thank you 343GuiltySpark for the Telstra company response. Very Helpful. Hope you don't have a crap ADSL service and a Cable Service outside your door that you almost touch and advised that we forgot to put enough connection points on the pole for the services required.No NBN planned. Attach that to an offer that all installation costs included to your property and confirmed cable is available, booked in and have a Telstra contractor turn up after losing 1/2 day pay, sit in his van for an hour then advise the install wont happen for at least 21 Days. Then receive a call from representative unwilling to offer his ID number who wants you to pay $500 up front for service that offered $99 install and committed to a 24 month plan ( unless you read the fine print in the documents that came after you signed up with the advice we reserve the charge you what we like when we feel like it). Thank you 343GuiltySpark. Your were advise was very helpful
Level 21: Augmented

My response is my own personal understanding of how customers can elect to connect to the cable network, post its initial deployment, not an official response on behalf of Telstra. Below in my signature is a link to raise a complaint online if you'd like. A complaints case manager will then contact you to discuss your situation and provide a resolution.
I work for Telstra Platinium, Smart Home & Trades Assist as Premium Tech Support.
I'm a Telstra Employee, here in a Personal Capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.
da906

Regret I thought this was a crowd support forum not a personal opinion of an employee in their personal time on the Telstra policy handbook. I miss understood.
Can I please ask what the hell does "personal understanding of how customers can elect to connect to the cable network, post its initial deployment" actually mean?
Thank you for referring to your "raise a complaint" I am still waiting on the last 2x complaint cases to be followed up. 1x was raised by a Telstra dept itself on my behalf because that department believed this issue had to be a fraudulent attempt to gain money. Happy for Telstra to check its records on that one. Thank you for your referral to your complaints link. You have been a great help.
I was really hoping some body in a position within Telstra might take notice and give some reasonable feedback on why after reading my post or another disaffected customer might might take solace at least. I can live with that.
I really dont want the the hassles to move my services ultimately, hoping somebody might make a reasonable call, but if my request is unsupported or I am unable to gain any feedback from others with similar TAP connection issues and what I consider to be an unreasonable charge for supply of a chargeable service, then that all seems to be now closed, I guess I will need to live with that call.
Level 24: Supreme Being

The HFC rollout concluded many years ago now, so for new connections where there is no tap point available, then there may be a fee to get one installed. With the initial rollout, in many areas there were not enough tap points for every property to be connected. Over the years, this has been exasperated by the subdivision of many block. You also have to remember that Telstra was never under any obligation to provide an HFC connection to every house, just a standard phoneline.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ProfessorPhone
Level 11: Detective

You need to be aware that even though Telstra still offer cable services they no longer own the HFC cable and their flexibility may be restricted by NBN who now own it
If my advice has helped you, I would be most appreciative if you can click on the "Like" button. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".

The staff who are on here in an official position have a T logo beside their name, the rest of the users are just helping out in their own time, regardless of if they are staff in a person capacity or just other customers.

The staff who monitor the forums are generally unable to assist greatly with account issues due to privacy restrictions.

If you have had a complaint submitted it will generally be allocated to a case manager to make contact within 3 business days. If it has been a longer period and you haven’t heard back, they might be able to escalate it for you if you have the SR complaint reference number.

The network is now nbn property so if additional work is required it could have been determined by the network owner, which would be why it would be passed on. It has been something done before as well if there was shortfall they did what was called a commercial quote and assessed the issue, if additional work is required for a single house they can opt to cover the cost to have the work completed. Similar to the way people can opt to swap from FTTN to FTTP by paying the extra.

Alternatively you could try speak to your account manager for the business account and discuss your advised intention to churn the business services, they might be able to connect you to come one else, but I highly doubt it as business and residential are kept separate so don’t usually have any real crossover. Not to mention, a $500 loss for the business is going to take time to actually be offset even by several services...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @da906,

As the other posters here have surmised, it sounds like you were offered a commercial quote to get Cable internet installed at your property. This happens when further work is required to get your property connected up that will cost extra money. We let you know how much that would cost beforehand and you can decide whether you'd like to go ahead with it or not. If you have a complaint manager assigned to you I may be able to follow up with them about this if you let me know the complaint reference number, which normally begins with the letters SR. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

wadedeclifford
Level 1: Cadet

Mate, I have only been in Aus for 4 months now and Telstra is by far my biggest mistake since moving here, signed onto a 24month plan, unlimited Adsl and Foxtel entertainment and sports for $129 a month I think. I can tell you one thing they wont be getting a single cent from me until my download speed goes well above the current 250kbps on average, its 2018 but I feel like im stuck in the stone age with Telstra. If I want to download I have to tap into my cell phones hot spot (also Telstra) to get 5-12mbps but costs me an arm and a leg. Either they sort it or come pick up their modem before it ends up in the bin.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi there @wadedeclifford

Very sorry to learn of your fixed internet concerns, this shouldn't be the case for our customers at all.

Just to confirm, have you speed tested this service at 250kbps, or is this an estimate?

Additionally, have you contacted any of our technical faults teams to have this looked into at all?

Please let me know.

- Will

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

da906

Hello Jupiter, Appreciate your input and I do understand your explanation. Thank you. Still disappointed that the connection is so close. If Telstra is happy to loose a New Customer account and Multiple Business accounts over this connection. Then so be it. This isnt about this particular connection but how we have been treated over a long time. If you advise a potential customer you can supply a service for a price, live up to that promise even if it cost you a dollar. In this case about $1000 a month.Just the pain in the A to do so. Cheers

da906

Thanks Professor Phone. A lot of stuff behind the scenes that I dont understand. I just work on the premise as a small business owner " Promise it , deliver it. " especially if you make can make a dollar at the end of the day. Regret no more from me to Telstra. Shame. Cheers.
da906

Hello DrQ. Thanks for your time. I actually understand what your saying and do appreciate your time to do it. Shame all the time waiting, on the phone and the net was unable to get this point. Telstra got back to me today and advised that they will not proceeding with any assistance. As a business decision, I understand that. This issue is about the process to get to this point. Cancelled and paid out 2x TBS contracts and their maintenance contracts today as start. Time to move on. Appreciate your time. Cheers.
da906

Hello thedylan. The Crowdsupport has been very helpful to understand. Regret I didn't get this information at any time from Telstra from multiple departments. One of the complaint issues was addressed today. The response was "Pay or NO Go" That I understand. The failure of every level to advise or discuss wasn't. If you sell it, then dont explain it, cant answer any questions about, then maybe its broken. I have done broken with Telstra for to long. Happy offer the case numbers, bit this just for one. SR 1-1616588471050 , INT 1-1627785569460, sr1-162789857434. If this is just about the $500, its not. This about offering and supplying a service, then at cost, with a commitment, need to trust and finally realisation that I am wasting my time. As advised to another responder, I can only complain by walking. No more personal accounts with Telstra and I think we have at least 12x business services or more to go. 2x TBS contracts paid out and their maintenance contracts cancelled today.Time to find some new service providers. Everything is now out of contract. Yes im cranky, but all done now. Thanks for your interest. I wish I had got a line a little earlier instead of dealing wit Telstra direct. Cheers.
da906

Hi wadedeclifford. Sorry to hear your issue. Regret I have tried to fight for reasonable but I have run out of puff. The last time I went through this I had a lawyer involved. Funny how quickly things get fixed and offered made then. The ombudsman while reluctant to help seem to open some communication when you have nothing left. Sometime they will never fix the issue and you just need to look at out of the box options. My office had to run on Optus 4G routers due to Telstra issues after unending promises and poor delivery. Please dont wait for them to fix it. Cheers and goodluck.
EIME033
Level 1: Cadet

I am in the same boat and have had the $500 pay or no go call. It is absolutely poor service!! I actually got told if it was an NBN connection I wouldn't have to pay the $500. Seems like NBN vs Telstra politics to me.
da906

Hello EIME033.
Disappointed to hear but regret i cant offer anything meaningful support.
I even a had a follow up phone call from Telstra Cable wanting to discuss my issue last night, but haven't heard back when they were advised the request was placed in business hours, I would be happy to discuss in the same.
Please source a different option. So far i have moved 3x business arrangements with another 4 booked to go. I have 15 in total by by the end.
My residential service will never be with Telstra again and im just waiting for a TPG connection. It will be the sad ADSL we have but at least with another provider on a no contract plan.
Even looked selling my Telstra shares, but they are a basket case as well at the moment.
I worked hard to give Telstra a chance but they honestly don't care. No department gives a !?#$ even about their own inter departments. I doubt its NBN v Telstra. Telstra are turning on their own. I still cant understand a business model of loosing paying customers that out weight a modest physical connection cost.
Vote with you feet and get the hell on out of there.You wont ever be happy.
I do wish you all the best.
da906.

If it was nbn it wouldn’t apply becuase you the nbn is considered the same as a Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) so it is actually covered by guarantees that HFC cable as a internet only service isn’t.

The CSG gives accesses to a phone service but not to an internet service. So $300 new property fee is applied to nbn connections as a flat rate regardless of if it is a quick simple connection or more detailed.

Unless a request to change technology types is placed.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more