CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Alby1konobe
Level 1: Cadet

Cable broadband

Answered

Hi I am on ADSL2 and can get calbe where I live but cant find the exact answer I am after re installation. Are study is on second floor and would prefer to have ethernet connection to modem for computers there and wireless for everything else such as ipads etc. Foxte outlet is on first floor. is the cable gateway plugged into the same socket as the foxtel cable? I dont think it plugs into the existing phoneline? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable broadband

I don't work for Telstra so i don't have the answers.

They should send you a splitter with the modem so you can connect foxtel and cable to the same outlet.

Professional installation is $192

I use wireless in my home and get good cable speeds, but it depends on your area so i can't give you a good answer to that one.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9

The cable modem plugs into the foxtel outlet, if you pay for installation they will put another cable outlet in. they will not however add ethernet points in your house
Alby1konobe

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Does it plug in line with the existing foxtel outlet?

How much do you usually pay for the standard installation to get another outlet and once it is in I assume you just plug the cable modem in?

If you leave it with the exisitng foxtel outlet what sort of wireless speeds do you get (assuming no major wireless impediments in the house)

Thanks again

Accepted Solution

I don't work for Telstra so i don't have the answers.

They should send you a splitter with the modem so you can connect foxtel and cable to the same outlet.

Professional installation is $192

I use wireless in my home and get good cable speeds, but it depends on your area so i can't give you a good answer to that one.

Alby1konobe

OK you have given me better information than I have found in hours of researching

thanks again

Level 24: Supreme Being

A standard professional installation is $192. 

A splitter does come with the modem, standard speeds on the cable service (without the optional speedboost) are up to 30Mbps, the wireless speeds are dependant on the modem, the distance, the device, the materials walls are made of, other interference... I am currently connected to my Cable connection on the Standard Gateway and getting speeds (over wifi) of about 25Mbps as a pretty average speed. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Alby1konobe

Thank you Mr Qwerty for the extra very informative information. Does the $192 include installing another outlet in the house to plug the cable gateway into?

The Standard Professional Installation is installing one point. You can arrange multiple points to be installed, however each additional point would likely incure an additional charge depending on the additional work it required... (like two side by side would take less time and thus likely be a lower charge then one of each end of a house...) 

If you currently have a port, I could see no reason why the Standard Installtion cost wouldn't cover the cost of installing a second port if using the splitter was not a suitable solution. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

tonrog

Can I use a Telstra T-Gateway for a cable connection

• Cable 3.0 (HFC)?

The t-gateway is an ADSL modem and is not capable of processing the HFC connection. They have the Cable home network gateway and the the cable gateway max but both are netgear made devices and designed to work with the HFC network.
Helpful Links

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now