wlowe
Level 3: Gumshoe

Cable internet outage in Malabar NSW 2036

Answered

My cable internet access has been down since Saturday 2nd Feb 2019 (10 days so far). I have called the faults line many times, logged a complaint, restarted my modem etc but still not working.

The outage web site and help desk can only tell me my service is not working and cannot tell my why, other than it is under investigation. The frustrating part is the lack of visibility and credibility now that I have had 4 notifications  of service to be restored in "2 days" followed by "To be confirmed" communication loop. It appears it's the standard script used. 

Has anyone experienced the same? Any suggestions for rectification of service i.e. escalations  processes used that were successful? Maybe Letter to Andy Penn or better still the TIO, Social media and press?  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable internet outage in Malabar NSW 2036

You could lodge a complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints but to be honest, it's probably not going to accomplish a great deal. If the fault is currently under investigation, it just means that the technicians are still trying to figure out why it isn't working. Could be a single point failure (fairly easy to find), or multiple failures causing the problem. Given that your area is slated to get FTTC when the NBN rolls out rather than using the existing HFC, I would say that the cable network in your area is reaching the end of its serviceable life. That is probably why it is taking so long to get the service restored.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
wlowe
Accepted Solution

Nice response but it’s really poor service from Telstra!

If you work for Telstra and resposponded in hope for me and others in the same situation showing some understanding for;
1) Looking at what, why and where is problem for 10 days? Give me a break! Why not use the network diagnostics and monitoring to pin point.
3) NBN is not due in my area until 2020 as a reason is a lame excuse. So 10 days now becomes 200+ days? Because Telstra wont do the right thing to maintain a service to make sure clients have service on their infrastructure to the end. Pretty irresponsible.
4) If Telstra is preparing to use NBN to deliver services, they should know of concepts called redundancy, parallel cutovers or as minimum, network roll back in the event of a unsuccessful changes.
4) Not being able to provide any credible time frames of rectification.
5) No real plan or communication of what is being done or a reason. The only information i get is being told my service is not working. LOL
6) Your comment about lodging a complaint wont accomplish much is a reflection of the current Telstra not listening or caring for it’s customers. Massive back ward step unfortunately for a company with great potential.

Is not going to happen.

I don’t have time for sales spin, only for commitment and action which sadly has lacking. I have been using this cable service since 2008 and would normally recommend to others until now. This company is doing it best to make me and no doubt others, to consider competitors when NBN is available.

I hope they take this feedback to get something done.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Accepted Solution

You could lodge a complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints but to be honest, it's probably not going to accomplish a great deal. If the fault is currently under investigation, it just means that the technicians are still trying to figure out why it isn't working. Could be a single point failure (fairly easy to find), or multiple failures causing the problem. Given that your area is slated to get FTTC when the NBN rolls out rather than using the existing HFC, I would say that the cable network in your area is reaching the end of its serviceable life. That is probably why it is taking so long to get the service restored.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
wlowe
Accepted Solution

Nice response but it’s really poor service from Telstra!

If you work for Telstra and resposponded in hope for me and others in the same situation showing some understanding for;
1) Looking at what, why and where is problem for 10 days? Give me a break! Why not use the network diagnostics and monitoring to pin point.
3) NBN is not due in my area until 2020 as a reason is a lame excuse. So 10 days now becomes 200+ days? Because Telstra wont do the right thing to maintain a service to make sure clients have service on their infrastructure to the end. Pretty irresponsible.
4) If Telstra is preparing to use NBN to deliver services, they should know of concepts called redundancy, parallel cutovers or as minimum, network roll back in the event of a unsuccessful changes.
4) Not being able to provide any credible time frames of rectification.
5) No real plan or communication of what is being done or a reason. The only information i get is being told my service is not working. LOL
6) Your comment about lodging a complaint wont accomplish much is a reflection of the current Telstra not listening or caring for it’s customers. Massive back ward step unfortunately for a company with great potential.

Is not going to happen.

I don’t have time for sales spin, only for commitment and action which sadly has lacking. I have been using this cable service since 2008 and would normally recommend to others until now. This company is doing it best to make me and no doubt others, to consider competitors when NBN is available.

I hope they take this feedback to get something done.
Deb1223
Level 1: Cadet

Mines been down since last Thursday 7th Feb. No updates at all but got sent a free modem to use the 3G data. Can’t stream **bleep**. Driving me insane and no ETA on when it’ll be fixed. I’m in Kensington
wlowe

They gave me 10GB extra on my mobile plan twice. I’d prefer to have the service fixed as mobile coverage in my house is not great. Especially when kids need it to do their homework.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @wlowe

I understand that any disruption of service isn't a great experience however with telecommunications, unexpected outages, planned maintenance or faults can occur.

If there is an outage affecting the area, our outage page here will be the best place to keep updated however please keep in mind estimated restoration times may change or show as 'to be confirmed'.

Also, our consultants will be happy to discuss the service downtime however they'll usually wait until the service is back up & running.

Once restored, please speak with us online here here or call 132200 to discuss the service downtime.

In most cases, if you use another service such as a mobile in the interim, normal charges would apply for that though.

Rest assured, if it's on our outage page, we're aiming to restore asap.

In regards to nbn, depending on where you live, nbn will connect their property to the network using one of a variety of technologies. 

When the nbn network rollout reaches the area, nbn will let them know which technology will service the area.

We're unable to provide dates as to when the roll out will occur in an area as we do not own the network.

NBN Co will advise all retail service providers just prior to when NBN is available in an area so that no service provider has an unfair advantage over the others.

You can check when NBN will be available in the area here

You can find our current NBN plans & check what's currently available at your address here

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

wlowe

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately this does not add any value to what we already know and currently doing.

You mentioned to either call or communicate with your chat line once the service has been repaired to discuss the service down time. Can you please let me know why? I'm interested to know what will be asked or discussed.

Thanks for getting back.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @wlowe

I'm sorry if my reply caused any concern, I wanted to clarify where to keep yourself updated in regards to area disruptions & what to expect when you check.

If we're aware of an outage, our techs would be aiming to fix this as quickly as possible. There's no benefit for Telstra to keep our customers offline.

As monthly charges happen automatically, we ask customer to speak with us via the paths I suggested earlier once the service is restored to discuss the service downtime.

Our consultants will be happy to discuss the service downtime but usually wait until the service is restored so it can be adjusted correctly. 

If you use another service in the meantime, normal charges would apply for that though.

Hope that helps clarify & if you have any questions, please let us know.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

wlowe

Finally my service is working after 12 consecutive days of outage. 

I’ll discuss the outage with your consultants and hope we can come to some arrangement. 

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the update @wlowe

Please keep us posted how you get on.

We are here online if you need any further help or support.

- Stef

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more