GSimos
Level 2: Rookie

Cable internet speed boost does it depend on baseline bundle?

Answered

I was previously on a $99 bundle and was getting speeds around 50Mbs on cable (not NBN)

I changed to a $90 bundle together with speed boost,  and still the speed is always around 50Mbs in quiet times, a little less in peak times. 

Previously when on the $99 bundle I was given a trial of a speed boost which got the speed to around 90-110 Mbs, but I did not keep the speed boost as it was too expensive

So my questions are,

• Is the NORMAL speed of the $90 bundle the same as the $99 bundle?  I don't think it is, but I cannot find it stated in the documentation.  By adding the speed boost to the $90 bundle have I in fact just reached the NORMAL speed of the $99 bundle.
  • Given that my cable is capable of 100 Mbs what bundle and speed boost do I have to subscribe to,  to actually get  80-100Mbs.    
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Mkrtich
Level 11: Detective
Accepted Solution

Re: Cable internet speed boost does it depend on baseline bundle?

Sorry - I have slightly misunderstood Telstra's Fact Sheet - on the same web page which is meant to cover all Internet services - ADSL, Cable and NBN , if you click on >More About NBN Speeds - it shows you the pricing clearly. 

It's $30 for all NBN Customers, therefore the $20/mth in the Critical Information Summary is for non NBN HFC customers.

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi @GSimos 

If no disruptions are listed here, my advice would be to login here & complete the troubleshooting as it may help fix any issues you're currently experiencing, but also helps speed up the fault process if you need to call our fault team on 133 933. 

You'll receive a reference number that can be quoted to our tech staff if the troubleshooting link doesn't resolve. If they're unable to resolve over the phone, they may monitor the connection or arrange a tech appointment. 

You also mentioned raising a complaint, do you have the reference number handy?

These look similar to SR 1-XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

I'm happy to check the status of the complaint & if necessary, arrange for a case manager to get in contact you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Hello GSimos - I have the same cable modem as you CG3100-D2 BPAUS.

Suggestion - to see if your modem has a good quality connection to the CMTS Head End, have a look at the Router's Connection Page - you should see 8 channels bonded downstream and 1 channel for upstream. Your line would be healthy if it has good Power and SNR ratings in each of these channels. Handy comparison reference is this posting as an example of a good link - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/How-to-interpret-the-cable-connection/td-p/422....

My Power figures are between 7.9 - 8.1 dBmV and SNR between 40.8 - 42.5 dB . Speeds vary according to the device but are compliant for LAN cable to Router connections @100 Mbps on a decent multi CPU PC e.g MiniMac 2014 (Dual Core) LAN - 116/5 Mbps, HP Netbook 2012  LAN (budget CPU) - 40/4 Mbps and iPhone 5 2012 Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n - 45/5 Mbps.

If your modem is connected to your home on only one coax cable, not split into multiple locations within your home, displaying acceptable Power and SNR figures and you are limited to under 50 Mbps, it implies something has not be programmed correctly at the CMTS Head End.

If your modem displays figures that are not good, it may point to a line problem and Telstra should be able to work that out with your case manager. Hope this helps.

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Thanks for feedback Yastiandrie and Dr Q.
Yes, I assume someone activates the Class of Service setting for the customer's WAN address in the CMTS based an a service order originated by a person in the Call Centre. That is why the current GSimos's situation is not clear. Not sure if the Case Manager has communicated his findings yet; if the CMTS address has the correct coding for 100 Mbps on the service, it is not being evidenced at the device end of the link and given the modem's transmission statistics for a PC-LAN-Modem are also unknown, difficult to say if it is a technical problem ( equipment or cable) or an issue with pricing related to migration of Telstra Cable HFC (Non NBN) accounts to be more uniform with Telstra NBN Speed pricing. It is difficult to understand the pricing classification jargon at times.

The HFC Standard Plan was upgraded from 30/1-2 Mbps to 50/5 Mbps in April 2018.
This plan then became the Standard Plus plan at 50/5 Mbps.
In April 2019, these customers have been elevated to a complimentary Premium Speed 100/5 Mbps usually $20 a month on HFC.

NBN plans have same Speed names but different nominal speed tiers ( 25/5, 50/20 and 100/40 Mbps) and I think that is where some people get confused with the jargon. I don't expect enjoy the same download speeds that I currently have on Cable HFC when I migrate to NBN HFC and I am OK with that - I appreciate the network load and contention issues.

Also I think the Marketing Manager in Telstra who decides to remove the complimentary 100 Mbps speed boost for the loyal 500,000 HFC cable customers who were moved from 30 Mbps to 50 Mbps a year ago and also those thousands that were paying the 100 MBPS surcharge since inception, then credited the surcharge this month, then have to face a higher cost surcharge on NBN connection, would be a brave person. But then one has to expect the unexpected - a year is a very long time in the fast moving Telecomms market. Given the challenge of migrating a country as huge as Australia to the NBN, we are blessed by having access to all the benefits of all the new technologies that NBN, Carriers and RSPs offer to customers and I am sure matters will resolve themselves in good time. All the best.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Level 24: Supreme Being

The standard speed was increased from 30 to 50, although in many areas speeds being achieved can vary often due to nbnco working on the network to get everyone on to the nbn. I had heard they were increasing some people’s speeds to the boost speed in area which were being affected, which would essentially mean the speed you will achieve will just be based on the area and if there is any congestion or underlying issues such as nbnco works.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

GSimos

According to My Account, I am supposed to have a speed boost.  In which case it should be to 100Mbs not to 50Mbs as I already had 50 before the change of plan and the addition of the speed boost. 

So the question is how do I get the 80-100 Mbs option.  What bundle do I have to be on to get it.   As stated previously I had the speed boost previously on my $99 base plan and it took me to the 80-100 level.   Why cannot I get it on the $90 base plan ?   I have tried at all hours of the day and night and 50 appears to be the maximum I can get on the $90 plan.  Is this correct?

Have you tried unplugging the modem completely from the power and the network cables, given it 5 min and then plugged it all back in as this will refresh the connection and may help.

If it is showing it on myaccount it typically means it has been processed to complete, so it should mean the line is enabled for it, refreshing the connection as above might allow it to pick up the change in the event it hadn’t automatically.

If this doesn’t work, if you post your stats for the connection from your modem page it may help one of the community members give you more idea about what may be at play.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Mkrtich

Hi - my understanding of Speed Boost Options is per the Telstra Critical Information Summary link on their NBN Unlimited Internet Page -  $90/month option, however, it is not clearly documented. There is a grey area in regards to how the speed boost price is applied to different customers depending on the  method NBN is delivered to their premises. The link is https://www.telstra.com.au/internet.

The $90 plan is the NBN 50/20 Mbps with advertised evening typical speed operation of 40 Mbps which, I assume, is your Hyrbrid Fibre Coax (HFC) service subscription. Additional $30/mth provides the Premium NBN Speed Boost to nominal 100 Mbps ( this may mean customers who have FFTP,FTTC, FFTB,FFTN but excludes NBN Fixed Wireless services) - so I don't think that applies to you. The next one listed is $20/mth for Premium Speed Cable customers for Cable customers (implies HFC NBN services) - I think that covers your service. The last one is if you are upgrading from an NBN service that already have Speed Boost (maybe someone who went from a NBN 25 to NBN 50), you will continue to be charged for it - rate not specified. Not clear if they actually mean previous non NBN HFC customers who has Speed Boost and migrate to NBN HFC.

Telstra don't seem to actively advertise the NBN 100/40 Mbps service maybe because it is difficult for them to guarantee it for users other than Fibre Optic FFTP and Coax Cable HFC customers. A visit to a Telstra Shop may clarify. Hope this helps. 

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Sorry - I have slightly misunderstood Telstra's Fact Sheet - on the same web page which is meant to cover all Internet services - ADSL, Cable and NBN , if you click on >More About NBN Speeds - it shows you the pricing clearly. 

It's $30 for all NBN Customers, therefore the $20/mth in the Critical Information Summary is for non NBN HFC customers.

GSimos

I do not yet have NBN, I just have Telstra cable. I have been trying for two months to get the 100 Mbs speed that I know my cable connection is capable of. I have changed plan twice from 99 to 70 to 90. and my account says that I have this speed boost. I started with Telstra service who promised the 100bs speed boost. It never arrived, so after more calls, I finally contacted Complaints, they said I would have to increase my plan to $90 and they would give me the speed boost for free. I assume that is because I will be changing to NBN in May. I wanted a smooth transition from Telstra cable at 100Mbs to NBN HFC cable at 100Mbs. But it appears that Telstra is unable to comprehend a request for a 100Mbs speed, this is evidenced by their NBN plans which do not go to that speed.
Needless to say I will be looking into a change from Telstra to someone who can handle a 100Mbs speed. I currently only have 50Mbs at all times of the day and night and this is not what I have been asking for, for months. I do understand that 100Mbs means 80-100Mbs and I have made this clear from the beginning.
Thank you to Crowdsupport but no one has been able to explain why Telstra is incapable of understanding/acting upon my repeated requests. The problem is not at my end as I particpated in a 100Mbs trial a year ago and it worked well.
I surrender, I hope I do not have equivalent problems with my next supplier. As NBN is being rolled out in my area, I'm sure many will be offering the plans that I can't seem to get from Telstra,
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi @GSimos 

If no disruptions are listed here, my advice would be to login here & complete the troubleshooting as it may help fix any issues you're currently experiencing, but also helps speed up the fault process if you need to call our fault team on 133 933. 

You'll receive a reference number that can be quoted to our tech staff if the troubleshooting link doesn't resolve. If they're unable to resolve over the phone, they may monitor the connection or arrange a tech appointment. 

You also mentioned raising a complaint, do you have the reference number handy?

These look similar to SR 1-XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

I'm happy to check the status of the complaint & if necessary, arrange for a case manager to get in contact you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

GSimos

The complaint number was SR 1-1942044713766.

I have done the troubleshooting tests and the speed is 47Mbs.    This is the same speed that I have had for some years.  I have been unsuccessfully trying to get the speed boost to the 80-100 Mbs level which was the whole purpose of my initial contact in February/March.  My account says I have the speed boost, but I do not have it as I still get the same 40-50Mbs that I always have had.  I still think that the problem is at Telstra, they say I have the speed boost but I do not have it.  If they have given me a speed boost from 30- 50 Mbs then this is a mistake as I already was at the 50 level before I contacted Telstra in March. I am currently on a $90 plan having changed from the $99 plan 

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the update and I do apologise that this speed boost hasn't been successful in having the speeds of your internet connection increased Smiley Sad I have located the escalation and have sent through a request for the case manager to get back in touch with you or to see if our contact within the complaints team will be able to have this re-opened and assigned to a new case manager asap. 

Just curious if at any time when the speed boost was requested was there a change to your modem that was connected for this service? Can you confirm the first and last set of 2 digits that is listed on your modem at the present time? This would be listed on the bottom of the modem. 

Let us know if you are contacted by a case manager in relation to this escalation within the next 3 business days? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

GSimos

There has never been a change to my modem, It produced 105Mbs on trial some years ago.

The numbers on the modem - Netgear CG31000-28PAUS  the other numbers 2YY34Bw001649 A42B8C311828  Docsis 3.0.  I have switched it on and off several times recently but it makes no difference. 

I have today received (sent 5 hrs ago) what looks like an all user email from Telstra   "We want to make sure you're getting the best possible experience with Telstra. That's why we're giving you Standard Speed (formerly Premium Speed Boost), that means you can get up to 100mbps speeds, at no extra cost." 

It said to restart the modem but it made no difference 45 Mbs before the email 45 Mbs after switching off the modem, so no sign of the 80-100Mbs.   

The following  statement was at the bottom of the message

"Free speed upgrade:

Standard Speed Boost on Cable is available to eligible HFC cable customers until they migrate to the nbn or we withdraw the offer."
So they are acknowledging that I am not yet on NBN but the use of the term "Standard "Speed Boost concerns me as I think that refers to a lower speed than 100Mbs.

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for taking the time to provide that information @GSimos

As mentioned your case manager has been contacted and I sincerely hope they can offer a solution shortly.

Please do reach out if you have any other questions or concerns during this process.

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Mkrtich

GSimos - I also got the same email from Telstra this morning which surprised me as I have been a Telstra HFC Cable customer with a paid for speed boost to 100 Mbps since 2012. For my situation, which is different to yours, it looks like a database mismatch where Telstra is sending the same 'Free Speed Boost' email to all non NBN HFC customers irrespective of their paid subscription. I will do as the email says and sees if any of the Netgear CD3100-D2 BP AUS technical settings have been impacted.

I think its a great Telstra strategy for keeping customers connected, just needs some improvement to the technical implementation processes. Hope yours gets sorted soon.   

Rich_D
Level 1: Cadet

I too recently got this email, and had previously been paying for the add on Speed Boost, on HFC.
Does this mean I will no longer be billed for the speed boost add-on? Tried to view on my online account but it says they are having technical issues???

It may be coincidence, but since receiving that email, performance has been terrible, that bad today that speed test fails to complete and NetFlix regularly times out.
Yes I have checked the outages page, and there are none listed for my area
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Rich_D Sorry to hear you've had some connectivity difficulties there. If there are no outages listed on the Outages page for your address then try these steps first: https://tel.st/m9xkn and https://tel.st/a5s9l . If that doesn't improve it then we offer 24x7 Technical Support on 133 933 for Cable or 1800 TFIBRE for NBN, or LiveChat here: https://tel.st/78pl9 to test your service and hardware for any possible faults. Let us know how you go.

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Hello GSimos - I have the same cable modem as you CG3100-D2 BPAUS.

Suggestion - to see if your modem has a good quality connection to the CMTS Head End, have a look at the Router's Connection Page - you should see 8 channels bonded downstream and 1 channel for upstream. Your line would be healthy if it has good Power and SNR ratings in each of these channels. Handy comparison reference is this posting as an example of a good link - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/How-to-interpret-the-cable-connection/td-p/422....

My Power figures are between 7.9 - 8.1 dBmV and SNR between 40.8 - 42.5 dB . Speeds vary according to the device but are compliant for LAN cable to Router connections @100 Mbps on a decent multi CPU PC e.g MiniMac 2014 (Dual Core) LAN - 116/5 Mbps, HP Netbook 2012  LAN (budget CPU) - 40/4 Mbps and iPhone 5 2012 Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n - 45/5 Mbps.

If your modem is connected to your home on only one coax cable, not split into multiple locations within your home, displaying acceptable Power and SNR figures and you are limited to under 50 Mbps, it implies something has not be programmed correctly at the CMTS Head End.

If your modem displays figures that are not good, it may point to a line problem and Telstra should be able to work that out with your case manager. Hope this helps.

GSimos

Sorry - I haven't a clue about what you are talking about. My modem is capable of 100Mbs, but Telstra won't give it to me on my current $90 plan plus $20. According to them I do not currently have it.
Mkrtich

Hi Rich_D - Interesting development with my Telstra Home Bundle-M Account. I usually pay for the Speed Boost from 50 Mbps to 100 Mbps and this month, following the above emails we received from Telstra regarding the free upgrade to 100 Mbps, I received a $4.00 pro rata credit for the Ultimate Speed Boost charge. So this may mean that all those paying the extra charge are being credited their surcharges until the NBN HFC migration gets up to full implementation stage in respective suburbs. I have also tested the service which remains, gratefully not a victim of an inadvertent clerical reversal (yet), operating at 100+ Mbps.

Brings into question if the 'temporary free' speedboost will remain when the NBN HFC is actually activated in home or will increase to $30/$20/$10 a month. I previously paid $10 a month due to the original time of offer many years ago when it was only $20 a month extra and multi service discount were also applied to the account bringing it to $10 a month. It's somewhat of a lottery at the moment as to what is intended for the future in relation to speed boost migration pricing for existing customers. I think that there is room for improvement to the quality of informed communication we receive from Telstra, unfortunately that art has also become another victim of quick unchecked editing and corporate outsourcing.

You'll be pleased to know @Mkrtich that it cant be subject to clerical reversal as it is done at the CMTS irrespective of the modems/services configured boot file which contains what speed tier they're on Smiley Happy.

The speedboost won't stay in place when you transition to NBN HFC. It is a goodwill gesture specific to Telstra HFC
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Due to the way nbnco charge them for the CVC on NBN connection it will likely be the $30 nbn speed boost price as this is based on what the RSPs are. Charged which is why it is pretty much consistently $30 between most providers.
Helpful Links

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Thanks for feedback Yastiandrie and Dr Q.
Yes, I assume someone activates the Class of Service setting for the customer's WAN address in the CMTS based an a service order originated by a person in the Call Centre. That is why the current GSimos's situation is not clear. Not sure if the Case Manager has communicated his findings yet; if the CMTS address has the correct coding for 100 Mbps on the service, it is not being evidenced at the device end of the link and given the modem's transmission statistics for a PC-LAN-Modem are also unknown, difficult to say if it is a technical problem ( equipment or cable) or an issue with pricing related to migration of Telstra Cable HFC (Non NBN) accounts to be more uniform with Telstra NBN Speed pricing. It is difficult to understand the pricing classification jargon at times.

The HFC Standard Plan was upgraded from 30/1-2 Mbps to 50/5 Mbps in April 2018.
This plan then became the Standard Plus plan at 50/5 Mbps.
In April 2019, these customers have been elevated to a complimentary Premium Speed 100/5 Mbps usually $20 a month on HFC.

NBN plans have same Speed names but different nominal speed tiers ( 25/5, 50/20 and 100/40 Mbps) and I think that is where some people get confused with the jargon. I don't expect enjoy the same download speeds that I currently have on Cable HFC when I migrate to NBN HFC and I am OK with that - I appreciate the network load and contention issues.

Also I think the Marketing Manager in Telstra who decides to remove the complimentary 100 Mbps speed boost for the loyal 500,000 HFC cable customers who were moved from 30 Mbps to 50 Mbps a year ago and also those thousands that were paying the 100 MBPS surcharge since inception, then credited the surcharge this month, then have to face a higher cost surcharge on NBN connection, would be a brave person. But then one has to expect the unexpected - a year is a very long time in the fast moving Telecomms market. Given the challenge of migrating a country as huge as Australia to the NBN, we are blessed by having access to all the benefits of all the new technologies that NBN, Carriers and RSPs offer to customers and I am sure matters will resolve themselves in good time. All the best.
GSimos

Thanks for trying to help.
I have spoken to a Telstra person yet again, this morning who after resetting my modem finally admitted that Telstra is not going to allow users in my area to have the 100Mbs speed. We are limited to 50, not because of the capability of the cable as I had the 100Mbs a couple of years ago, but because Telstra has decided we are not to have100 Mbs now. I live about 12 km from the Melbourne CBD in a built up residential area not in a remote area so this makes no sense. The problem is not congestion, it is just a decision not to supply this particular service in this area. After 2 months of trying to get 100Mbs Telstra have finally come clean. I am furious that they have been stuffing me around for months on this issue.
I am pre NBN so if it is not available now. then I can only assume that post NBN it will also not be available. So I have no other option available but to leave Telstra after 10 years, as soon as the NBN is switched on and other suppliers are offering 100Mbs.. After 10 years of non problems with Telstra, I cannot believe that they are making such crazy decisions.
Highlighted
Mkrtich

GSmino - I am glad you got to a clear position with Telstra regarding why your service is currently being limited to the 50 Mps speed. Your situation may improve in the future as the NBN owned HFC Network ( both ex Telstra and Optus) gets upgraded by the NBN ; the Optus HFC Network did not meet NBN's standards after they purchased it contributing to further delays to replace it. According to the NBN web site, the target date for general completion of the NBN is end of 2020 - the planned date is very ambitious - as of late April approx. 5.2 M Premises Activated to date, 9 M Ready to Connect and 1M Not Ready to Connect.

If you are in a 'predetermined by NBN' HFC area, other RSP's would also be using the same cable infrastructure and CMTS Head Ends which are being upgraded to not only cope with DOCSIS 3.1 migration but to greater capacity to handle additional demand from previous ADSL customers migrating to HFC in specific areas of coverage, so there may be no advantage in moving to another RSP unless their wholesale arrangements for Ports and CVCs are greater than Telstra's for your zone - unlikely, but who knows until one asks. I think its good for you to make enquiries with other providers but suggest that you proceed with caution. Some customers have elected to pay an additional customised charge for NBN to run Fibre to their homes as an alternative to the pre-determined method, however this is a very significant investment that may be to everyone's cup of tea. All the best.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now